Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: steering angle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #1

Default steering angle

Hey guys/gals I'm trying to get a higher steering angle on my crawler its a stock scx10 and I have the controller maxed out but steering sucks for tight turns. I'm looking online and there are 8 and 11-degree options. I'm upgrading to aluminum c hubs and knuckles I just don't know which would give me the sharpest turning ability. also upgrading the servo horn for more travel I've seen some cars that practically turn on a dime.
RAPTOR1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: steering angle

If it's an original scx10 (not a 10.2) the best thing you can do for increased steering angle is the "XR mod" which allows you to use XR10 (or AR60) c-hubs and knuckles, along with XR10 universal joint axle shafts. With modified shafts, you can get up to 70° of throw, but still get around 50° with stock XR shafts. To accomplish that, you'll need to modify your axle housings to accept the new c-hub, which is easiest with a set of Beef Tubes https://www.beeftubes.com/store/p56/...W_-_BRASS.html

All that said... you're almost better off just switching your entire axle assemblies to 10.2's at that point. Probably could be done for similar cost, have good steering already, lower gearing, smaller pumpkins, high pinions, etc.

If you want to stick with the basic scx10 design, the 8 degree and 11 degree c-hubs are referring to the amount of built in caster. I prefer more (so I'd choose 11°) partially because it allows you to point your pinion up a little more.

There are also "8 degree" c-hubs that are referring to the king pin inclination (like an XR10, Wraith, Bomber, and 10.2 use) which reduce tire scrub and, depending on caster setting, can really change the position of your tire's contact patch when steering. This style requires you to change both knuckles and c-hubs with matching parts (8 degree and zero degree won't work together.) This is basically accomplishing the XR mod, but with scx10 axle shafts, the biggest problem here is finding scx10 shafts that are worth a crap. There are kits for this Pro Steering Conversion Kit for SCX10 (Silver)

There's a lot more that can be done, but hopefully that gets some ideas going for you.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: steering angle

Now that axial has the entire ar44 axles as a complete package, I don’t know that I would do the XR mod. I do like my OG more now that I have done it though
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote

steering angle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better steering angle out of a TH? Jim85IROC Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 02-07-2018 08:45 PM
more steering angle please!!!! roadrunner440-72 Axial SCX-10 4 12-17-2016 09:02 PM
Steering angle BOB8789 Axial SCX-10 6 01-13-2012 10:55 PM
Steering Angle HiloDB1 Kyosho Crawlers 1 11-26-2008 11:05 AM
Steering angle NeoSlayer888 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 10-29-2005 07:21 PM