RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   First crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/611983-first-crawler.html)

Bennie98 09-28-2019 10:53 AM

Re: First crawler

I took a look at a capra build video.
I'm not a fan of that obligatory spektrum servo.
The rest seems okay. But I would like a vehicle that can have a large battery pack. I don't want to go out to get a new stock of small batteries.

But it seems crawlers all have small batteries. Except maybe the trx4, but I don't want a traxxas.
I must be a weirdo or something.
No scale/trail, no small batteries, no all in one esc/receiver and a decent crawler. Those are my wanna haves. Maybe I'll just get the temper gen2 and put in new electronics or something.

lonleycreeper 09-28-2019 11:57 AM

The reason crawlers have small batteries, is they do not need big ones. My Scx10II honcho gets 1.5-2 hours of run time on a 2200mah 3 s battery. When I go big power on my brushless 3000kv Motor, I get 45 min on the same battery pack.

Most guys get bored faster than that.

I find I like long, all day trail runs, so I run 5000 mah 3s packs and run for 8+ hours with 2-3 packs.

The lighter weight of the smaller packs really helps with CG. And for pure performance, Lighter weight works better.

The Temper I believe is a mini or 1/12, or 1/18 scale. So it requires smaller batteries anyway.

Bennie98 09-28-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonleycreeper (Post 5965843)
The reason crawlers have small batteries, is they do not need big ones. My Scx10II honcho gets 1.5-2 hours of run time on a 2200mah 3 s battery. When I go big power on my brushless 3000kv Motor, I get 45 min on the same battery pack.

Most guys get bored faster than that.

I find I like long, all day trail runs, so I run 5000 mah 3s packs and run for 8+ hours with 2-3 packs.

The lighter weight of the smaller packs really helps with CG. And for pure performance, Lighter weight works better.

The Temper I believe is a mini or 1/12, or 1/18 scale. So it requires smaller batteries anyway.

Oh okay good to know. My tekno runs 4s 6600mah dry in 15mins so I wasn't aware of this.
But I have 2s 5000mah packs lying around which I could use if they would fit. But they don't so I would need to buy new batteries...

Bennie98 09-29-2019 01:10 PM

I went for the hobbyking basher rocksta.
Together with a turnigy Nano-Tech 300mAh 2S 35 Pack Lipo ~ 70C batterie for 75euros.
If I like it I'll probably go for the bully 2 or the capra. I'll see.. but since it's autumn I will only ride inside or in the garden. And a small crawler like this will be fun I think.

themountain 09-29-2019 01:23 PM

Have fun...here some insight.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Crawler-Review

Bennie98 09-29-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 5966078)

Interesting link. Thanks! The strange thing is that it was 10euros cheaper if I got a battery with it. So that was an added bonus. :)

Bennie98 10-04-2019 02:06 PM

I received my rocksta today. I couldn't wait to start crawling.
I got home and charged the battery. It took about 30 minutes for a 300mah battery. Which is long.
I noticed my 400mah heli batteries would fit as well. So that's a bonus. They are all 2s batteries.

After crawling for a while i noticed it does make a lot of noise. This is mostly the esc when i throttle. Forward and reverse. But the servos and the motors make a lot of noise as well. This makes it a bit annoying to use indoors. I haven't used it outside as it is raining.
But I'm guessing the noise will be less obtrusive there.

But the crawling is super nice. It gets on some really steep angles. And the drag brake works like a charm.
Maybe some stickier tires would be nice, but I'm guessing those won't be easy to find for this size.

I noticed one of the wheels always touches one of the links. Luckily you can set the endpoint for the servos. But this means the steering isn't as tight as it could be. It's also peculiar that it's only one wheel. Although I can't seem to see anything different about this wheel.

I would like to know if it is possible to make it a bit quieter or ir someone would know why there is one wheel rubbing? Are there any mods I could buy. i know there are some for weighing down the wheels. But maybe tires or something? :)