Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #21

Default Re: First crawler

I took a look at a capra build video.
I'm not a fan of that obligatory spektrum servo.
The rest seems okay. But I would like a vehicle that can have a large battery pack. I don't want to go out to get a new stock of small batteries.

But it seems crawlers all have small batteries. Except maybe the trx4, but I don't want a traxxas.
I must be a weirdo or something.
No scale/trail, no small batteries, no all in one esc/receiver and a decent crawler. Those are my wanna haves. Maybe I'll just get the temper gen2 and put in new electronics or something.
Bennie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

The reason crawlers have small batteries, is they do not need big ones. My Scx10II honcho gets 1.5-2 hours of run time on a 2200mah 3 s battery. When I go big power on my brushless 3000kv Motor, I get 45 min on the same battery pack.

Most guys get bored faster than that.

I find I like long, all day trail runs, so I run 5000 mah 3s packs and run for 8+ hours with 2-3 packs.

The lighter weight of the smaller packs really helps with CG. And for pure performance, Lighter weight works better.

The Temper I believe is a mini or 1/12, or 1/18 scale. So it requires smaller batteries anyway.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 09-28-2019 at 01:00 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
The reason crawlers have small batteries, is they do not need big ones. My Scx10II honcho gets 1.5-2 hours of run time on a 2200mah 3 s battery. When I go big power on my brushless 3000kv Motor, I get 45 min on the same battery pack.

Most guys get bored faster than that.

I find I like long, all day trail runs, so I run 5000 mah 3s packs and run for 8+ hours with 2-3 packs.

The lighter weight of the smaller packs really helps with CG. And for pure performance, Lighter weight works better.

The Temper I believe is a mini or 1/12, or 1/18 scale. So it requires smaller batteries anyway.
Oh okay good to know. My tekno runs 4s 6600mah dry in 15mins so I wasn't aware of this.
But I have 2s 5000mah packs lying around which I could use if they would fit. But they don't so I would need to buy new batteries...
Old 09-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #24

I went for the hobbyking basher rocksta.
Together with a turnigy Nano-Tech 300mAh 2S 35 Pack Lipo ~ 70C batterie for 75euros.
If I like it I'll probably go for the bully 2 or the capra. I'll see.. but since it's autumn I will only ride inside or in the garden. And a small crawler like this will be fun I think.

Last edited by Bennie98; 09-29-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Have fun...here some insight.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Crawler-Review
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Interesting link. Thanks! The strange thing is that it was 10euros cheaper if I got a battery with it. So that was an added bonus.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #27

I received my rocksta today. I couldn't wait to start crawling.
I got home and charged the battery. It took about 30 minutes for a 300mah battery. Which is long.
I noticed my 400mah heli batteries would fit as well. So that's a bonus. They are all 2s batteries.

After crawling for a while i noticed it does make a lot of noise. This is mostly the esc when i throttle. Forward and reverse. But the servos and the motors make a lot of noise as well. This makes it a bit annoying to use indoors. I haven't used it outside as it is raining.
But I'm guessing the noise will be less obtrusive there.

But the crawling is super nice. It gets on some really steep angles. And the drag brake works like a charm.
Maybe some stickier tires would be nice, but I'm guessing those won't be easy to find for this size.

I noticed one of the wheels always touches one of the links. Luckily you can set the endpoint for the servos. But this means the steering isn't as tight as it could be. It's also peculiar that it's only one wheel. Although I can't seem to see anything different about this wheel.

I would like to know if it is possible to make it a bit quieter or ir someone would know why there is one wheel rubbing? Are there any mods I could buy. i know there are some for weighing down the wheels. But maybe tires or something?

Tags
ecx, g-made, losi, night crawler, temper

First crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 49 04-05-2019 07:07 PM
Losi Micro Crawler Crawler-X SMC Plus Chassis Plus A Ton Of Stuff See Video stomper4x4.com Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 05-14-2012 02:31 AM
TCS - Novak Goat Crawler Systems in stock @ TCScrawlers.com - The Crawler Store kevinlongisland Vendors Market 0 09-14-2007 10:34 AM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 10:40 AM