RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   First crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/611983-first-crawler.html)

Bennie98 09-26-2019 02:51 PM

First crawler
 
Hi

I'm new in the crawler part of rc.
Normally I'm more of a basher/racer kinda guy but never competition.
Recently I went to my first short course track and I liked that. So maybe I'll get into that more as well.
But I'm looking into crawling for something less breaky kind of rc.
There's a bmx parcours in the woods not far from my home which is fun to do with speed, but I'd like to do it slowly as well. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of vehicle. I'm also looking for something to run around in my backyard.
I used to have a t2m pirate pigmy which I used more for crawling than anything else. I even built a course and everything. If you want to, you can see it on youtube.

But now I want something a bit more purpose built for that. I really would like to have a MOA because I like the look and the versatility of the two motors and dual steering.
The problem is availability.
I live in Belgium and they only have a few MOA crawlers available. Here in the shop or through internet purchases.
First I was looking at the rc4wd bully 2. But 800 euros is a bit much or even more if I would buy the kit and accessories.
So I started looking at little crawlers.
The only real moa's are practically non existing.
I found the basher rocksta for around 86euros.
The rest are not moa's but look a bit like them:
Ecx temper gen 2 for 159euros.
Ecx barrage doomsday for 219,99euros.
G-made rock buggy kit for 299,99euros.
And the losi night crawler for 299,99euros.

Which one of these would be nice to have?
What are the downsides?
Is there a lot of tuning to be done to make them decent?
Should i try to put one together from parts?
I don't want to spend a ton of money unless you would say the cheaper ones are not worth the money.
I would like to go up steep hills and big rocks and maybe a track in the back yard.

Thanks in advance!

themountain 09-26-2019 03:34 PM

Re: First crawler
 
FTX OUTBACK 2 TRAIL 4WD 1:10 TRUCK RTR WITH Toyota BODYSHELL 5584 | Elektro Cars | RC Cars | Ingo´s Modellbaushop
https://www.eurorc.com/product/13733...ed-buggy---rtr
https://www.mcmracing.com/en/home/10...-4046032081231
https://www.promodels.be/Car-Kits/Ca...cale-WB-285mm/
"thumbsup"

Smokin' Joe 09-26-2019 04:49 PM

Re: First crawler
 
I think the most capable of the crawlers you listed is the Losi Nightcrawler, but I can't tell you a lot else about it as I don't own one. Did you look into the exceed mad torque? That is a budget MOA that is available here at least.

Bennie98 09-26-2019 11:16 PM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe (Post 5965433)
I think the most capable of the crawlers you listed is the Losi Nightcrawler, but I can't tell you a lot else about it as I don't own one. Did you look into the exceed mad torque? That is a budget MOA that is available here at least.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks great.
But at first glance I am only able to buy it through ebay or amazon. Which means it's probably going to be taxed to get it imported into europe' I'll check it out to see if I can't find it in Belgiim or the EU.

Bennie98 09-26-2019 11:17 PM

Re: First crawler
 
Most of these are regular trail. I'm not really a fan of trail/scale looking rigs. Thanks for the suggestions though!

lonleycreeper 09-27-2019 01:13 AM

Re: First crawler
 
The Axial Capra....

Probably as close to comp/scale as you can get.... not a MOA, but should be comparable to a Shafty when set up properly....

themountain 09-27-2019 05:21 AM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennie98 (Post 5965499)
Most of these are regular trail. I'm not really a fan of trail/scale looking rigs. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Well...I posted this primarily for the links to the shops in Belgium. It needed 15 seconds to have a list of at least 8 stores which sell everything from G-made to Traxxas to HSP.
You have to be clear on your budget to get a decent answer "thumbsup"

ferp420 09-27-2019 07:15 AM

Re: First crawler
 
maybe look at the old clod buster its moa but has a scale body that dosent mean it has to stay that way might be a cheaper option for you and lots and lots of info about it and the parts are still around to make it anything you want the only real down side is its vary old teck but hay it might fit the bill

Bennie98 09-27-2019 07:46 AM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonleycreeper (Post 5965504)
The Axial Capra....

Probably as close to comp/scale as you can get.... not a MOA, but should be comparable to a Shafty when set up properly....

What do you mean with a shafty exactly?
And it looks pretty good.

The price is 379euros, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to go all out then for a bully 2 kit and build one like that. The kit is around 650 euros but I have no idea if it is capable enough for that kind of money.

Bennie98 09-27-2019 07:47 AM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 5965510)
Well...I posted this primarily for the links to the shops in Belgium. It needed 15 seconds to have a list of at least 8 stores which sell everything from G-made to Traxxas to HSP.
You have to be clear on your budget to get a decent answer "thumbsup"

I don't have a budget. (I can go very high) But I don't want to spend like 1100euros if something cheaper has the same crawlability. :) Especially because I'm not really doing competition.

Bennie98 09-27-2019 07:49 AM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 5965520)
maybe look at the old clod buster its moa but has a scale body that dosent mean it has to stay that way might be a cheaper option for you and lots and lots of info about it and the parts are still around to make it anything you want the only real down side is its vary old teck but hay it might fit the bill

The tamiya clod buster? that doesn't seem like a crawler at all. Or is it something else?

durok 09-27-2019 08:49 AM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennie98 (Post 5965529)
I don't have a budget. (I can go very high) But I don't want to spend like 1100euros if something cheaper has the same crawlability. :) Especially because I'm not really doing competition.

For "crawlability", I'd really recommend the brand new Axial Capra as has been mentioned previously. With the portal axles and the dig function, it will make short work of most any obstacle. It should make its way to European retailers shortly!

Bennie98 09-27-2019 10:33 AM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5965549)
For "crawlability", I'd really recommend the brand new Axial Capra as has been mentioned previously. With the portal axles and the dig function, it will make short work of most any obstacle. It should make its way to European retailers shortly!


it's for sale in november.
379euros. What does the dig function do? looks like you need a spektrum mini servo for it.

odomandr 09-27-2019 11:01 AM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennie98 (Post 5965598)
it's for sale in november.
379euros. What does the dig function do? looks like you need a spektrum mini servo for it.

Rear axle control. Engaged, disengaged or locked. Can pivot or load the front.

themountain 09-27-2019 11:50 AM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennie98 (Post 5965529)
I don't have a budget. (I can go very high) But I don't want to spend like 1100euros if something cheaper has the same crawlability. :) Especially because I'm not really doing competition.

Crawlability...:lmao:
Gmade R1 ...no doubt !

GMADE 1/10 R1 ROCK BUGGY 4WD CRAWLER READY-TO-RUN | Elektro Cars | RC Cars | Ingo´s Modellbaushop

Bennie98 09-27-2019 12:43 PM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 5965619)

Is the rtr worth it or should i go straight for the kit to get some better electronics.


If the electronics were better on the temper gen 2 i would buy that. But the small battery and 2 in 1 esc receiver annoys me a bit.

I'm not really a fan of the looks of the capra, but there is a lot to do about this car.
Why is that? Which is better? The capra or the r1? I really like the look of the r1 though.
If it really is that good and can go up against the capra I would maybe go for that. Would it hold up against a full on bully 2? :P this is the most difficult choice I have ever made with regards to an rc.

Ragenwraith 09-27-2019 12:55 PM

Re: First crawler
 
Hey Bennie98,

Hello from the USA... IMHO you should be looking at one of the Axial Cage built rigs like the Bomber, both a rock racer/basher and a decent crawler and can go fast too. My son in law has one and it is a lot of fun. Next up is the Wraith, I have one of these that I built from the kit. I've had it 8 years now and it's still going strong. It too can be a rock racer/basher and go fast but I like to go slow and drive with finesse over obstacles. Both of these come RTR(ready to run) or as kits for you to build and are considered 2.2 rigs for the size of the wheels and tires. They have great suspension articulation and were designed and built from the real 1:1 off road buggies. The new Capra has yet to come out and will be in kit form so you build it adding your own steering and dig servos, ESC and motor and radio as well as wheels and tires. Again these are a cage type rig and have body panels exception is the Wraith Spawn addition.

Now if you want to go with a full on body type, say you have a truck or car style you really like and want to make one, go with, and there are several real good ones with excellent support with after market parts, rigs like the Axial SCXII, Traxxas TRX-4, Team Associated Element Enduro, RC4WD they have many vehicles and a MOA one too, Redcat Gen8, pricey but awsome Vanquish VS4-10 Pro, the manufactures go on and on but these would be the most supported and hold up well to all you can throw at them. Aftermarket bodies of all types are available to build your own rig as well as motors, wheels and tires, shocks, winches and scale accessories galore.

You Tube is a wealth of information on anything RC. Big thing too is battery and chargers there are many type of these and like LIPO batteries require some knowledge to safely handle these if you are going to use them. Do some research on a vehicle and pick one that suits your style and go have fun!

Bennie98 09-27-2019 01:20 PM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragenwraith (Post 5965633)
Hey Bennie98,

Hello from the USA....... Do some research on a vehicle and pick one that suits your style and go have fun!

Hi thanks for your input. The bomber looks cool but I already have a Tekno mt410 and a couple of Tamiya's. So I'm not looking for scale/trail kinda cars or bashers. I want something special. Like the r1 or the capra or a moa. Preferably a moa. But the r1 looks nice as well. Or maybe the exceed mad torque if I can find it somewhere in europe.

themountain 09-27-2019 03:00 PM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennie98 (Post 5965627)
Is the rtr worth it or should i go straight for the kit to get some better electronics.

Kit is always the better option in my book...you can choose what ever you like"thumbsup"
Bully 2 is a different animal because its a MOA...and way more expensive.Its a competition crawler ...you dont want/need that..you look somewhere else.
Thats the one I build for myself [IMG]https://s17.directupload.net/images/190927/yjqaiyiu.jpg[/IMG]

ferp420 09-27-2019 09:43 PM

Re: First crawler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennie98 (Post 5965530)
The tamiya clod buster? that doesn't seem like a crawler at all. Or is it something else?

you have to use a differant chassie but it might be a good starting point

check out the clod section lots of crawlers but there realy out dated


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com