RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   First Crawler SCX10ii Trail Honcho - Must Haves (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/612025-first-crawler-scx10ii-trail-honcho-must-haves.html)

TacocatIsAPalindrome 09-29-2019 03:18 AM

First Crawler SCX10ii Trail Honcho - Must Haves

I just bought my first. SCX10ii Trail Honcho. It doesn't come with battery, charger and I've heard the stock transmitter sucks.

Please recommend a decent transmitter, battery and charger, and anything else that I should pick up for it as I'm not seeing anything on any of these sites and it seems easier to just ask.

I've read 3s LiPo is what I should be looking for. I am so new, I really don't even know what that means. A link to a good battery would be awesome! Any other links that could point me in the right direction are really welcome.

I appreciate the help!

ferp420 09-29-2019 07:39 AM

Re: First Crawler SCX10ii Trail Honcho - Must Haves

ok we are gona need alittle more informantion about it did you buy it new or used was it a kit or a rtr "ready to run" if you dont know tha look at tbe esc and servo what brand are they

the axles do they have a diff cover or are they slit down the middle

ok 3s just means its a 3 cell lipo theres also 2 cell or 2s that would work with your set up 3s will give you alot more power than a 2s but its hard on the truck so be ready for upgrades

the stock trans is fine but might need metal gears some shiped with metal gears some with plastic gears its just the luck of the draw

Ragenwraith 09-29-2019 08:38 AM

OK here's a great charger it is both AC/DC powered and can charge 2 batteries at a time Amazon has it for $79 and batteries too.

HTRC Lipo Charger 1-6S Touch Screen Dual Discharger AC150W DC240W 10A T240 Fast Balance Battery Charger for RC Li-ion Life NiCd NiMH LiHV PB Smart Battery

Batteries, Zeee 2s Lipo Battery 7.4V 50C 5200mAh RC Lipo Batteries Hard Case with Deans Plug for 1/8 1/10 RC Vehicles Car,Trucks,Airplane,Boats(2Pack)
4.6 out of 5 stars 32
$33.69

You will need to get a lipo safe charging and storeage bag. Safety first! You Tube or Google how to charge and store Lipo batteries

COLCASE Fireproof Explosionproof Lipo Safe Bag for Lipo Battery Storage and Charging , Large Space Highly Sturdy Double Zipper Lipo Battery Guard (198x150x135mm)
4.6 out of 5 stars 378
$12.99 $16.

Like Ferp said you don't need 3S batts I've been running 2S for years and have all the power and speed I need for crawling and trail driving. Who told you the radio was junk, it might not be as fancy as the ones you buy separately but it works great for your rig. You have a great truck right out of the box. This Axial platform has a multitude of aftermarket parts and upgrades. I suggest that you run it stock, remember it is for crawling and trail running it's not fast but fast enough for you to walk along with it to pick the right lines to go over obstacles. When and if it breaks replace and upgrade the parts at that time. You will be amazed at what it can do. You could throw a lot of money at it right away but you don't need to. Enjoy it as it is then upgrade if you feel the need.

Check this site out too, it is a map that people have posted places to go and have fun also has hobby stores. You live in a great state for this sport.

http://www.rcmap.io/?fbclid=IwAR3xsZ...-4r9_JJlZxJQww

Above all research how to take care of your Lipo batteries I've had several of mine for over 6 years and they still run strong just follow the rules. Now go have fun!

Panther6834 09-29-2019 10:07 AM

If you want a good, high-quality AC/DC charger that's also (somewhat) inexpensive, check out the Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition (typically $116 from most retailers). It can charge two batteries...plus, it has Bluetooth (connected to an app on your phone, settings are easier to set, compared to don't settings on the charger, itself). Is 100W on AC, 200W on DC. Output power is 10-100W @ up to 10.0A. Discussed rate is 10W @ up to 2.0A. It's fairly small (7.25x5.75x2.75), and easily transportable.

While it's no longer my primary charger (that duty now belongs to my iCharger 406Duo), I do keep it as a backup charger...plus, if I have the need to charge 4 batteries simultaneously, I can plus it into the DC power connector on my PRC case (the power supply inside the case can easily power both chargers).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

TacocatIsAPalindrome 09-29-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 5966031)
ok we are gona need alittle more informantion about it did you buy it new or used was it a kit or a rtr "ready to run" if you dont know tha look at tbe esc and servo what brand are they

the axles do they have a diff cover or are they slit down the middle

ok 3s just means its a 3 cell lipo theres also 2 cell or 2s that would work with your set up 3s will give you alot more power than a 2s but its hard on the truck so be ready for upgrades

the stock trans is fine but might need metal gears some shiped with metal gears some with plastic gears its just the luck of the draw

Bought this exact vehicle. RTR but doesnt come with battery or charger.

lonleycreeper 09-29-2019 06:56 PM

I assume, you bought new...

The controller is a bit clunky, but I have used it over the last couple years with no problems. Mine is still stock, electronics and body. I did add some rear fenders off a Hpi Desert Truck and smaller tires on Rc4wd steel wheels.

https://i.imgur.com/DBMhk4vl.jpg

My thread on this rig...
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...-trailing.html

For batteries, I prefer small 2200mah 3s lipos 25c or 30c is fine as the 35t motor does not pull a lot of amps. I get abot 2 miles of trailing on one pack, and average about 1 mph.
Pick your flavor, my buddy runs Turnigy, and I run Venom soft packs.
I have a Venom Duo charger for the last 7 years with zero issues.

ferp420 09-29-2019 10:02 PM

theres alot of stuff out there and just about all chargers do what there saposed to i have a few of the imax b6 chargers cause there cheap and do the job
the batterys dont matter much 2 cell.will work and stuff will last longer 3s is alot of fun but parts will ware faeter and or break every so offten
3s is also harder on the esc it wont last long on 3s nether will the motor some people have better luck than others depending on how you drive it and maintain it
the mah of the battery should be some were between 2200 and 5000 the more mah the heavyer the battery will be some times heavy is good and some times its not i would say get 2 batterys 1 3000 and 1 5000 and see what you like best

in my opinion the first upgrade should be your servo or atleast have a replacement on hand and play the rest by ear
tires never hurt ether

TacocatIsAPalindrome 10-04-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferp420 (Post 5966179)
theres alot of stuff out there and just about all chargers do what there saposed to i have a few of the imax b6 chargers cause there cheap and do the job
the batterys dont matter much 2 cell.will work and stuff will last longer 3s is alot of fun but parts will ware faeter and or break every so offten
3s is also harder on the esc it wont last long on 3s nether will the motor some people have better luck than others depending on how you drive it and maintain it
the mah of the battery should be some were between 2200 and 5000 the more mah the heavyer the battery will be some times heavy is good and some times its not i would say get 2 batterys 1 3000 and 1 5000 and see what you like best

in my opinion the first upgrade should be your servo or atleast have a replacement on hand and play the rest by ear
tires never hurt ether

What is a good servo?

HelloRocks 10-07-2019 11:11 AM

Amazon's 20kg generic servo that they sell for $15-18 are my go to, cheap and hasn't given me any issues. I donated it from my TRX4 to my Gen7 and got a new one just to have a new one. If you want personalized control, an esc upgrade would help. HobbyWing's QuicRun 1080 runs about $42 and it's a drastic improvement from all of my stock escs. It comes with 15 value that can be changed/program to run however you desire.

CarlC 10-07-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelloRocks (Post 5968101)
Amazon's 20kg generic servo that they sell for $15-18 are my go to, cheap and hasn't given me any issues. I donated it from my TRX4 to my Gen7 and got a new one just to have a new one. If you want personalized control, an esc upgrade would help. HobbyWing's QuicRun 1080 runs about $42 and it's a drastic improvement from all of my stock escs. It comes with 15 value that can be changed/program to run however you desire.

Have to X2 everything HelloRocks said. My only change is that the 25kg Amazon servos in the UK are so close to the 20KG cost that I have gone 25KG. The HW1080 is just joyous and so cheap, I love the control I get in both 2S and 3S setups. Just as an aside, I am a newbie but think I made the right choices on ESC and servo, more questionable on motor lol but that can be sorted.

HelloRocks 10-07-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlC (Post 5968121)
Have to X2 everything HelloRocks said. My only change is that the 25kg Amazon servos in the UK are so close to the 20KG cost that I have gone 25KG. The HW1080 is just joyous and so cheap, I love the control I get in both 2S and 3S setups. Just as an aside, I am a newbie but think I made the right choices on ESC and servo, more questionable on motor lol but that can be sorted.

As far as the motor goes, I paired my 1080 with the Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21T and I love it. I have the 550 12T in my Twin Hammers, which has my TRX4's stock esc in it and it crawls and bashes like a dream. That being said, Holmes Hobbies is my go to brushed motor. I bought my buddy a 550 21T for his Honcho but I'm not sure if he's installed it as it would require trimming of his battery box. I can't imagine the 540 performing any less better.

Natedog 10-07-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther6834 (Post 5966050)
If you want a good, high-quality AC/DC charger that's also (somewhat) inexpensive, check out the Hitec X2 AC Plus Black Edition (typically $116 from most retailers). It can charge two batteries...plus, it has Bluetooth (connected to an app on your phone, settings are easier to set, compared to don't settings on the charger, itself). Is 100W on AC, 200W on DC. Output power is 10-100W @ up to 10.0A. Discussed rate is 10W @ up to 2.0A. It's fairly small (7.25x5.75x2.75), and easily transportable.

Yes, great charger and I've got one.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/HRC4427...SABEgJYtfD_BwE

or I've got one of these also.
https://www.getfpv.com/ev-peak-cq3-m...n-balance.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonleycreeper (Post 5966130)
The controller is a bit clunky, but I have used it over the last couple years with no problems. Mine is still stock, electronics and body. I did add some rear fenders off a Hpi Desert Truck and smaller tires on Rc4wd steel wheels.

My thread on this rig...
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...-trailing.html

For batteries, I prefer small 2200mah 3s lipos 25c or 30c is fine as the 35t motor does not pull a lot of amps. I get abot 2 miles of trailing on one pack, and average about 1 mph.
Pick your flavor, my buddy runs Turnigy, and I run Venom soft packs.

Currently I like the size and power of these little 4100mah 3s
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...116-19/p846216

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacocatIsAPalindrome (Post 5967506)
What is a good servo?

Start with CCBEC and then I like
https://hitecrcd.com/products/servos...7950th/product

However, there are plenty of other servos that should do this job in SCX10.

mewalsh100 10-07-2019 04:08 PM

I'm gonna agree with most all of the comments above. Just drive the rig and upgrade as needed / wanted. The stock Tx should be fine for recreational driving. I use a Spektrum DX-4C paired to most of my rigs, but kept my TRX-4 paired to the stock Tx so I'd always have a loaner for anyone that wanted to go wheelin with me. The RTR Tx's are all about the same in terms of features and feel, and I've never found myself dying to have my Spektrum paired to the TRX when I'm driving it.

If I were going to make a first upgrade, it'd be the steering servo. The RTR units are anemic as hell. Shoot for something in the 300oz range @ 6v. Even more would be better, but even a bit less would do.

The next upgrade I'd do would be tires and a good set of foams. RTR tires are typically much harder compounds as they're more about longevity than grip. There are a myriad of manufacturer's, compounds, tread patterns, etc available. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, what type of driving your gonna do and what kind of surface you'll be on most of the time. Rocks, Dirt/Trails, etc. Maybe even more important are the foams. These go inside the tire and allow you to tune the feel based on the foams you select. Crawler Innovations seems to be the go-to foam around here.

I'd say with those upgrades alone, you'll see a huge improvement in your rig's capability. Count on around $35-60 for a "off-brand" budget servo in the spec I cited above. (Much higher for name brand).

Tires and Foams will run you approx $100. (You may have to budget for some true bead lock wheels as well as the RTR tires are more than likely glued on and that can become a huge pain in the a-- to get them off and then try to re-use them and re-glue your new rubber.) There's a huge swing in beadlock wheel cost as well. You can find some good plastic bead locks relatively cheap, say $15-20 a pair. Aluminum will cost you more, but they give the added advantage of getting some weight down low on your rig.

Another thing to keep in mind is that almost all rigs have "FREE" mods that can be done with just some wrench turning. Scour the forums on your rig and you'll find a bunch of info on these sorts of mods. Stuff as simple as relocating a battery tray can make a huge impact on performance and handling.

2S or 3S - Largely down to personal preference. I run strictly 3s and heed the words of JRH - "volt up, gear down".

In the end, it's all about having fun and enjoying your purchase. If you just want to screw around and drive it occasionally, it's probably fine just the way it is. If you get sucked in to the black-hole that is this hobby though, you can count on the big Brown Truck showing up to drop packages off a couple times a week!:lmao:

mewalsh100 10-08-2019 05:48 PM

I also agree with your assessment of “off brand” servos hobbyjumper. In the end, it’s kind of a why by it twice if you can buy it once. I went against my better judgement just one time with a “highly rated”, off brand, Hi Torque servo. It lasted 20 mins. Lesson learned.

Topher Builds 10-08-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mewalsh100 (Post 5968189)
I'm gonna agree with most all of the comments above. Just drive the rig and upgrade as needed / wanted. The stock Tx should be fine for recreational driving. I use a Spektrum DX-4C paired to most of my rigs, but kept my TRX-4 paired to the stock Tx so I'd always have a loaner for anyone that wanted to go wheelin with me. The RTR Tx's are all about the same in terms of features and feel, and I've never found myself dying to have my Spektrum paired to the TRX when I'm driving it.

If I were going to make a first upgrade, it'd be the steering servo. The RTR units are anemic as hell. Shoot for something in the 300oz range @ 6v. Even more would be better, but even a bit less would do.

The next upgrade I'd do would be tires and a good set of foams. RTR tires are typically much harder compounds as they're more about longevity than grip. There are a myriad of manufacturer's, compounds, tread patterns, etc available. A lot of it comes down to personal preference, what type of driving your gonna do and what kind of surface you'll be on most of the time. Rocks, Dirt/Trails, etc. Maybe even more important are the foams. These go inside the tire and allow you to tune the feel based on the foams you select. Crawler Innovations seems to be the go-to foam around here.

I'd say with those upgrades alone, you'll see a huge improvement in your rig's capability. Count on around $35-60 for a "off-brand" budget servo in the spec I cited above. (Much higher for name brand).

Tires and Foams will run you approx $100. (You may have to budget for some true bead lock wheels as well as the RTR tires are more than likely glued on and that can become a huge pain in the a-- to get them off and then try to re-use them and re-glue your new rubber.) There's a huge swing in beadlock wheel cost as well. You can find some good plastic bead locks relatively cheap, say $15-20 a pair. Aluminum will cost you more, but they give the added advantage of getting some weight down low on your rig.

Another thing to keep in mind is that almost all rigs have "FREE" mods that can be done with just some wrench turning. Scour the forums on your rig and you'll find a bunch of info on these sorts of mods. Stuff as simple as relocating a battery tray can make a huge impact on performance and handling.

2S or 3S - Largely down to personal preference. I run strictly 3s and heed the words of JRH - "volt up, gear down".

In the end, it's all about having fun and enjoying your purchase. If you just want to screw around and drive it occasionally, it's probably fine just the way it is. If you get sucked in to the black-hole that is this hobby though, you can count on the big Brown Truck showing up to drop packages off a couple times a week!:lmao:

Where’s that darn like button. Couldn’t agree more. "thumbsup"

mewalsh100 10-09-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5968493)
Where’s that darn like button. Couldn’t agree more. "thumbsup"

:lmao:I still miss that damn button!:roll: