Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Choosing first rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Choosing first rig

Hey all!
Current saving and shopping for my first Crawler. I have been in the hobby almost 3 years. I have a Stampede 4x4 VXL that’s had many improvements and repairs. I love it! I ave been into sand bashing on the beach as well as jumping and what a fun rig. I am also building a 2wd Slash for the street, which I built from the chassis up.
I and drawn to the Vaterra Ascender Suburban, the TRX4 Bronco, and the TRX4 builders kit. I really want a trail rig that I can run on trails as well as crawl when I find the right setting. This will accompany me during my light hikes. I’m partially disabled with spine problems, and RC has been a way for me to unwind, exercise, and it’s very therapeutic. With this I feel like the TRX4 fits the bill. I feel I really need high/low speed, but lockers I really don’t, but I won’t lie I think they could be fun! Any help or steering me in the right direction would be awesome. I would really like a kit build for the winter and be nice to meticulously assemble and grease things myself. I am actually hoping they come out with a better builders kit in the meantime, no body, tires, or electronics. That is the reason I am hesitant of the RTR and builders kit.
I was thinking Hobbywing 1080, Holmes motor, Flysky GT5, and Savox servo. Thanks again and I will keep watching vids and reading threads in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Choosing first rig

My Stampede

Slash Build
I even have a boat

Old 10-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #3

The TRX-4 will be worlds better than the Vaterra Suburban.

The TRX-4 is a new platform whereas the Ascender is long in the tooth and kinda forgotten.

In all honesty the TRX-4 remote locking diffs are more important to me than the 2-speed transmission. But neither are required.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

The TRX-4 is a new platform whereas the Ascender is long in the tooth and kinda forgotten.

In all honesty the TRX-4 remote locking diffs are more important to me than the 2-speed transmission. But neither are required.

Thanks I figured so. Unlocked diffs are nice turning on a trail. 2 speed I feel I need. I am all about trailing and finding little jumps I can catch air on. Then see obstacles I want to climb lol.
I’ve just need to decide on a kit or RTR I guess. Or a Sport kit and add the 2 speed transmission but by that time mine ad well leave the kit or RTR. I have 150$ saved so far, so there’s time for Traxxas to fix this lol

Old 10-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

One other thing I’m trying to keep in mind, is if I get the RTR or builders I can replace the electronics at leisure and have backups encase something fails on the trail. It’s happened with my Stampede. So I guess it’s between the Bronco and the Build Kit. I would just need to buy and paint a body, which can be pricey.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #6

The TRX4 kit is one of the best kits on the market for assembly and directions, though I've only experienced it, Axial, and Gmade kits. I built the chassis kit and it has done very well. If you don't mind the lack of flash, a plain Bronco body will set you back $40. The kit comes with everything else. Everything is labeled well and the instructions are full color and full scale.

The stock motor can give the truck a little air in 2nd and the locking diffs make things very easy to navigate. Want more challenge, unlock the rear. Want more, unlock the front. You won't get bored.
MrAMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
Thanks I figured so. Unlocked diffs are nice turning on a trail. 2 speed I feel I need. I am all about trailing and finding little jumps I can catch air on. Then see obstacles I want to climb lol.
I’ve just need to decide on a kit or RTR I guess. Or a Sport kit and add the 2 speed transmission but by that time mine ad well leave the kit or RTR. I have 150$ saved so far, so there’s time for Traxxas to fix this lol

The TRX-4 Sport is a fun build. My Bronco was purchased RTR.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My Stampede...
Welcome to RCC, glad to see you're having RC fun, I've got go fast and crawlers, love em both for different reasons!

Quote:

Vaterras are high quality trucks, mine will keep up with and clear obstacles that the TRX-4 can't always do. I've not replaced anything on my original Va'Blazer except two front body posts (body is getting kinda beat up finally lol), my K10 broke one CVD early on, other than that no problems. The plastic, fit and finish are better than most crawlers, new Axial is getting the upgraded materials, engineering, fit and finish now that Horizon Hobby owns them too.

Portal axles are cool, but in general don't crawl as well as regular axles. Lockable diffs are fun, sometimes 2-speed is fun, a nice brushless motor can make a single speed transmission perform as a 2-speed in the sense it will crawl well and have wheelpeed, HW WP1080 and Holmes Hobbies 550 motor on 3S is next best setup imo. Watch Harley's build off videos. @-speed is better than locking diffs imo, Ascender transmission can be setup with this using Vaterra parts.

Quote:
Unlocked diffs are nice turning on a trail. 2 speed I feel I need. I am all about trailing and finding little jumps I can catch air on. Then see obstacles I want to climb lol.
Their electronics are not particularly reliable ime, pull and sell them before running.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Portal axles are cool, but in general don't crawl as well as regular axles. Lockable diffs are fun, sometimes 2-speed is fun, a nice brushless motor can make a single speed transmission perform as a 2-speed in the sense it will crawl well and have wheelpeed, HW WP1080 and Holmes Hobbies 550 motor on 3S is next best setup imo. Watch Harley's build off videos. @-speed is better than locking diffs imo, Ascender transmission can be setup with this using Vaterra parts.
Interesting. I prefer the locking diffs to use them sort of like a dig for better turning. We all like different flavors.

In regards to the Ascender I love mine. But it's a far cry from the RTR Suburban and I wouldn't recommend that at all. The world has moved on though and the TRX-4 is the better truck at the moment IMO. YMMV.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-03-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Welcome to RCC, glad to see you're having RC fun, I've got go fast and crawlers, love em both for different reasons!

Vaterras are high quality trucks, mine will keep up with and clear obstacles that the TRX-4 can't always do. I've not replaced anything on my original Va'Blazer except two front body posts (body is getting kinda beat up finally lol), my K10 broke one CVD early on, other than that no problems. The plastic, fit and finish are better than most crawlers, new Axial is getting the upgraded materials, engineering, fit and finish now that Horizon Hobby owns them too.

Their electronics are not particularly reliable ime, pull and sell them before running.

Lol thanks you made this harder again. Yea I may have to rethink the sport build with the setup you reccomended or a Vaterra and upgrade the motor esc combo you reccomend. I mean honestly not like this will be the only Crawler I get right? Just always hard for me to decide on the first one.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Interesting. I prefer the locking diffs to use them sort of like a dig for better turning. We all like different flavors.

In regards to the Ascender I love mine. But it's a far cry from the RTR Suburban and I wouldn't recommend that at all. The world has moved on though and the TRX-4 is the better truck at the moment IMO. YMMV.

Right. I read they put some plastic gearing or something on the suburban?

Old 10-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Portal axles are cool, but in general don't crawl as well as regular axles.
I think that depends a lot on the terrain, and how the rest of the vehicle is set up. After having portals on my Gen8, I find them to be a fantastic addition. The vast majority of my crawling involves going over rough terrain that benefits tremendously from having the extra diff clearance. I encounter these conditions a lot more often than I find myself in off-camber situations where a higher CoG becomes a detriment. Even in those cases, I don't find that my portal equipped vehicles are prone to rolling much sooner than my non-portal rigs, and if it becomes a problem, strategically placed wheel & axle weights can be helpful in countering that problem.

When I converted my Gen7 from the standard axles with huge diffs to the Gen8 portals, the truck became much more capable overall.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

ive run my portal axled rig on 2.2s side by side with straight axled rig on 1.9s they both went everywere the other rig went just slightly different lines one might be better in one spot were the other is better in others every rig has its ups and downs so it dosent realy matter

i dont like traxxass in general just cause i feel like there kinda a bully in the rc world and they mostly break or burn up

ether way you go its hard to go wrong what makes each rig differant is what makes them fun to switch between them and why you NEED more than 1
in my opinion you should buy what ever you like they all need some type of upgrading then start building from the ground up

besides its for phisical theropy if one breaks your gona NEED another one you cant just stop your theropy
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
besides its for phisical theropy if one breaks your gona NEED another one you cant just stop your theropy
Best reason ever.
MrAMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAMath View Post
Best reason ever.

Agreed. Lol!

Old 10-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I think that depends a lot on the terrain, and how the rest of the vehicle is set up. After having portals on my Gen8, I find them to be a fantastic addition. The vast majority of my crawling involves going over rough terrain that benefits tremendously from having the extra diff clearance. I encounter these conditions a lot more often than I find myself in off-camber situations where a higher CoG becomes a detriment. Even in those cases, I don't find that my portal equipped vehicles are prone to rolling much sooner than my non-portal rigs, and if it becomes a problem, strategically placed wheel & axle weights can be helpful in countering that problem.

When I converted my Gen7 from the standard axles with huge diffs to the Gen8 portals, the truck became much more capable overall.
My OG SCX10 on 4.19” Ripsaws was super dialed and did very well at Axialfest! Just gotta pick lines well, I’m not a fan of huge tires, ymmv as was said.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Right. I read they put some plastic gearing or something on the suburban?
Yep, the Suburban has plastic gears, plastic links, etc. Way too much plastic and it will eventually need upgrades. I was the biggest Ascender fan out there, but the Suburban is a watered down version that I'd avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I think that depends a lot on the terrain, and how the rest of the vehicle is set up.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i dont like traxxass in general just cause i feel like there kinda a bully in the rc world and they mostly break or burn up

The TRX-4 is different than the rest of the Traxxas vehicles. It's flat out good and, unlike some of their other RCs, it doesn't need constant upgrades and repairs. It's great out of the box and it's as tough as any other scaler out there. It's converted many Traxxas haters.

As far as Traxxas being a bully I disagree. They're just good at marketing and playing within the rules, but that's a long debate for another thread and if I took that stand against Traxxas I'd have to take it against other companies and then I wouldn't be allowed to buy much by my own rules. I choose not to pick and choose.

I do agree trail rigs are great exercise and therapy. Even the building part is therapy. You can't have just one.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yep, the Suburban has plastic gears, plastic links, etc. Way too much plastic and it will eventually need upgrades. I was the biggest Ascender fan out there, but the Suburban is a watered down version that I'd avoid.

Agreed.

The TRX-4 is different than the rest of the Traxxas vehicles. It's flat out good and, unlike some of their other RCs, it doesn't need constant upgrades and repairs. It's great out of the box and it's as tough as any other scaler out there. It's converted many Traxxas haters.

As far as Traxxas being a bully I disagree. They're just good at marketing and playing within the rules, but that's a long debate for another thread and if I took that stand against Traxxas I'd have to take it against other companies and then I wouldn't be allowed to buy much by my own rules. I choose not to pick and choose.

I do agree trail rigs are great exercise and therapy. Even the building part is therapy. You can't have just one.

I’m surprised they did that to the Suburban Ascender.. a lot of videos I watched raved about it.
I like Traxxas a lot but I’m biased because I never owned anything else. My Stampede is almost 3 years old and all the original vxl electronics are still in tact. I bought it when my mid back went out. I bash the crap out of it and only have Broken drive shafts.
My Slash was definitely a therapy build. Ordered and built it piece by piece over the last winter. I am OK with shelfing it until next spring, and I love looking at it. We all know the shiny is replaced by scuffs and scratches pretty quickly.
I am actually selling our bikes over walking. My lower lumbar is fused and my midback and neck degenerated and herniated in spots. it is painful to ride them. Walking is the best exercise for me. I was also diagnosed with 2 types of new migraines (total of 4) a from a concussion last Memorial Day. The worst one is the acute confusional migraine. I literally struggle with what day and year it is sometimes, along with speech impairment, word finding and other fun stuff. 5th concussion, and this time around still suffering post concussion. Miraculously I’m still workin and chugging along. I find laughter not dwelling helps a lot! Just can’t do as much as I used to and thats ok because I still go to my full potential. This hobby and my Tortoises have become my hobby/livelihood.
Thanks for the help. I “think” I have decided to go with the full builders kit and get a body, paint it, and make it my own. I can upgrade as I go, so I can see the full potential of box stock, and where I can take it. I already want to change the esc right away and can sell or use it as back up. I always carry a backpack with spare parts, mip drivers and other tools like long tweezers.. The steering servo will also be replaced right away. Too bad this kit doesn’t come without the main electronics and wheels.
Is it cost effective to build it from the chassis up by jus buying parts? I know my Slash wil end up being $100 more than a VXL but it doesn’t have junk parts or parts tha needed to be replaced because they’re no good, break, or can do better. Thanks again for all the help and sharing your experiences. Glad I’m here!

Old 10-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #19

I've had somewhere around 10 concussions and thankfully I don't suffer from migraines! That sucks and I hope they subside.

It's never cost effective to build from scratch. You can upgrade as you go, but in all honesty the TRX-4 does not need many upgrades. It's such a strong and capable truck out of the box.

The bigger the body the more your performance will be effected especially in stock form.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yes the Suburban has plastic transmission gears and suspension links, it's meant as a budget friendly RTR crawler that is priced same as BND F100, both are cheaper than the K10 RTR. I've not heard of any gear failures in the Suburban (not saying there aren't any), they are Losi plastic, unlike most other butter plastics used by other mfrs. The links are also high quality Losi plastic with spring steel inserts molded in for rigidity. Is this my first choice....no...but if you're on a budget, they should last a good while before needing replacement. Most peeps eventually swap/build links anyways.

Yes, trailing/hiking is great mind and body therapy! Love buildling too, brings out creativity and ya sooner or later the fleet grows.
Here's a link to the three current Ascenders:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/...A%22Vaterra%22

Quote:
....thankfully I don't suffer from migraines! That sucks and I hope they subside.

It's never cost effective to build from scratch. You can upgrade as you go...

The bigger the body the more your performance will be effected especially in stock form.
X2 on the migraines.

Scratch building saves the hassle of selling unwanted parts and is fun, either way buy the truck that you like the looks/features/design and have fun!

Yes, larger bodies do hinder performance and require different lines and sometimes make some impassable. That's one reason for different trucks, my TF2 is great fun, but no competition for my Ascenders. Anyways, keep us updated on what you choose, read some more build threads and start your own.

Choosing first rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing 2.2 trail rig tires. theTman Minnesota 6 07-17-2016 08:22 PM
Help in choosing rig. dpmhemi Newbie General 9 01-24-2010 03:23 PM
Need Help Choosing a new Rig. JTank70 Newbie General 10 09-11-2009 04:17 PM
need help choosing tomer Newbie General 3 11-26-2008 10:31 PM