Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SCX10 II electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 II electronics

Hey guys! Been out of RC for about a decade. A recent trip to Moab has me wanting to build a SCX10 II. Wanting to do a kit because it will keep me occupied through the long Seattle winter. From what I remember Spektrum was top choice for radio and receiver so I’ll probably stay in that direction unless otherwise convinced. Im just lost on what to do for any of the other electronics. I tend to stick with higher end over budget but any advice would be great thanks.
derteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 II electronics

If you want to go brushless, Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 2700kv or a similar Tekin or Castle Slate series motor, plus either a Castle Mamba X or a Tekin RX4 ESC.

Servos are wide open - you can easily spend $100+ on a top-notch servo - Holmes, ProModeler, Savox 2290, or a Tekin.

This all can get very expensive very quickly!

However, crawlers do EXTREMELY well on relatively inexpensive brushed setups...

So, at least to start off I'd recommend you pick up a HobbyWing 1080 ESC, Holmes Trailmaster or Crawlmaster Sport motor, Amazon DS3218 servo.

That last combo will cost you less than $80 all told!

And many of us are running it in the SCX10, the Vaterra Ascender, the Traxxas TRX-4, and the Element Enduro with fantastic results.

Decide how much you like crawling, and have the ability to pick up a second vehicle with the savings...

A very useful site for picking motors:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

That’s good info! Thank you. I also just want to jump straight into LiPo batts. Any recommendations on good battery brands and a solid charger that won’t catch my house on fire? Also what’s the best battery connectors?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Everyone has their own favorite LiPo...

I will say I went out today and ran through 2 of my SMC 3S LiPo hardpacks in my Enduro - and they are a few years old - Perfectly fine for my use.

Same with chargers - there are many newer tech chargers out there, but I am cruising along with a 3+ year-old Dynamite Passport Ultra.

As far as connectors go - do yourself a favor and try to start off using XT60 connectors - super convenient, easy to solder, easy to connect and disconnect - so easy you could do it in the dark.

That way you don't end up having to go through your older gear and converting at some point...

Although adaptors are easy to find - I confess I still have some stuff using Deans, and just use an adaptor for now - one of these days I'll switch completely over!
Old 10-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks again for the info, you have been quite helpful. I bought the SCX10 raw builders kit today and started building the axles. Any advice on how much grease to apply on the R&P. Couldn’t really find photos or YouTube videos of people greasing these.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

All good advice though I would look at the DSSERVO RDS3235 Servo. Much better specs than the 3218 and only a few dollars more. 1080 ESC and HH motors is a great combo

Edit: Link to said servo https://tinyurl.com/y3qsudo9

Last edited by nzrc; 10-13-2019 at 04:18 PM.
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrc View Post
All good advice though I would look at the DSSERVO RDS3235 Servo. Much better specs than the 3218 and only a few dollars more. 1080 ESC and HH motors is a great combo

Edit: Link to said servo https://tinyurl.com/y3qsudo9
I've got the DS3218, DS3218 Pro, DS3225, and the new DS3235SSG...

I have run the first 2 and not yet installed the latter 2. Since the first worked great on 4.19" tires and the second on 4.6" tires (Ascender and Enduro), I am expecting good things of the other two...

Old 10-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

More good info to feed my research. I think I’m just going to spend the money on a savox 2290. I’ve read that a few people have had issues with getting the servo and horn to live in the stock location on the 10.2 so I might go one step ahead with the samix servo relocation bracket
Old 10-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by derteracing View Post
More good info to feed my research. I think I’m just going to spend the money on a savox 2290. I’ve read that a few people have had issues with getting the servo and horn to live in the stock location on the 10.2 so I might go one step ahead with the samix servo relocation bracket
Good specs on the Savox 2290 but a price to match
I think ~400 oz-in is enough for most crawlers
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 II electronics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 ii electronics help SerpentCT4S Newbie General 26 10-06-2016 05:33 PM
scx10 electronics.... davis Newbie General 1 01-23-2011 09:05 AM
SCX10 Electronics landy-ross Newbie General 14 05-12-2009 02:46 PM