Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: The search for a second crawler begins...and my third

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The search for a second crawler begins...and my third

Ok, so here's my (short) story:
Started with on-road race kits (buggies, SCTs, STs), but decided I also wanted to go slow(er), which led to my first crawler - the new Axial Capra. Technically, it's built, but I'm waiting for the motor/ESC to arrive (CC Mamba X & 2280kV Slate). While it will probably be 3-4 months before I get my second, and next March for the third (possibly sooner, on both), I figured I should start my research now. That way, I have plenty of time to narrow down choices, make final decisions, and determine upgrade parts, ESCs, motors, etc. Anyway, here goes.....

For my second vehicle, while a scale trail-crawler could be nice...something I can upgrade slowly, over a few years, possibly changing it completely, from one vehicle, to another...I also really like the idea of a comp-crawler and/or rock-racer (if you've getting the idea that I like "blended" vehicles, you're spot-on...one of my motorcycles is a sport bike with a V-twin engine - 2006 Suzuki SV650S, if those reading this are interested). While I really like the extra ground clearance of the Capra's portal axles, it's not a "requirement" for the second vehicle. For what should be obvious reasons, I'd prefer something with metal gears, links, etc, as opposed to plastic (plastic gears is good for lightweight off-road racing vehicles, but I don't think they belong in heavier vehicles like these). For the axle housings, I'm assuming metal is better than plastic (for comp crawlers & rock racers)...but, again, as I'm still a newb, I wouldn't truly know.

Vehicles I've heard of and/or have read forum threads on are the Axial SCX10 II*, Traxxas TRX-4, SSD Trail King Pro, Vanquish VS4-10 Pro, and some of the Gmade kits. While I like the idea of being able to remotely lock/unlock the front/eat diffs (TRX-4), I prefer to stay away from Traxxas (I'm not anti-Traxxas...I have 2 Rustlers, and a Slash). Besides, I think I'd probably prefer a DIG transmission over the separate front/rear diff locks. At the same time, I do really like the 2-speed transmission, which allows the same vehicle to be used for technical & comp crawling (low), as well as rock racing (high). If there are any vehicles with a 2-speed tranny, that also has (or can be upgraded to) a DIG, those are probably the kits is be interested in the most...as long as my other requirements (above) are included and/or can be upgraded to.

One thing I find "interesting" is that the SCX10 II runs $200...yet the VS4-10, which Vanquish based off the SCX10 II, is 4-5 times the price. While the Vanquish Pro kit is probably going to be an outstanding kit (to be released in November), I'm also thinking it will be above my price range. Honestly, I really don't know much about the vehicles mentioned above, and I'm sure there are probably others I'm not even mentioning...because I don't know about them. I realize what I'm wanting includes features that are somewhat "opposites"...but, if it's possible to create a sport bike with a cruiser-style V-twin engine, then I know there has to be a kit that's simultaneously capable of rock racing & comp crawling, with occasional trail crawling use...at least I'm hoping there is.

So, that's what I'm looking for in a second crawler...suggestions/recommendations, anyone?

As for my intended third vehicle, the will be (thankfully) somewhat less-complicated. Quickly going back to first crawler (Axial Capra), what I'm thinking is the same, or similar, type of vehicle that would an excellent "beach buggy". A second Capra could work, or a Gmade GOM, or any other rock crawler buggy. As with whatever the second crawler will be, standard or portal axles would probably work equally-well (I'm making another newbie assumption here)...tho, I'd still prefer metal links, gears, etc. At the same time, I'm assuming that plastic axle housings would be better than metal. The problem with "playing in the sand" is that it's probably best if the axles, transmission, and anything else that could get damaged by same are sealed.

So, just as work my second-intended crawler, any suggestions/recommendations for the third?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The search for a second crawler begins...and my third

Check out the Twin Hammers. its a blend of Rock racer, and Crawler, depending on how you build it. Comes with a metal gear 2 speed and the option to build the front and rear diffs locked or "sealed" for diff oil. It also comes with 3 different sway bars front and rear. It is fast enough to keep up with a brushed slash in high gear but crawls well in low. 4000kv Brushless geared as low as I can gear mine. I don't see the Kit version avaliable any more.....

My T H hanging and beating up on a Wraith....

The TH is smaller than a Wraith and 1.9", only a little wider than a Scx10II.The Scx10II Raw builders kit!

I would recomend this, esp if you want to upgrade something in the long run. The Scx10II is the king of upgrade parts, The SSD trail King is based on the Scx10II, the Vs410 is as well.

My 10II Has a 2speed as well as 3000kv brushless. Been holding up to all the abuse I can throw at it.

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

They should bring that back...or, an updated version.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 11-12-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:49 AM   #4

I will +1 on the Twin Hammers. Daughter and I have had our kits for going on
3 years now. No major issues as far as the actual kit goes (cheapy servos and esc issue). We use ours for just trails/walking along the local bike trails along the river, so it works for us. Ours are locked in high gear , open front diffs with 100k fluid and use 13.5 sensored motor with 3s 2200mah batteries . But like mentioned the kit is no longer available, just the RTR (I think) Good luck!

(was the Losi Rock Rey supposed to be the upgrade/upsize to this? This might be a more modern platform than the Twin Hammers.)

Last edited by jchammbone; 10-07-2019 at 02:50 AM. Reason: grammar
jchammbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchammbone View Post
I will +1 on the Twin Hammers (was the Losi Rock Rey supposed to be the upgrade/upsize to this? This might be a more modern platform than the Twin Hammers).
I was thinking/wondering the same thing about the Twin Hammer-Rock Rey. Anyway, I've been searching the world (literally...the internet is packed with info), and, if there's an unopened kit out there, I'm checking to see if I can find it. Either would make a great third crawler (of course, I'll still have to find my "second").

Old 10-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

I am in a similar situation. I picked up a TRX-4 (Blazer) last May after being out of RC for almost 20 years and got a second TRX-4 (Traxx) for my daughter this summer. With the 2 speed it is decently fast with a 21T Holmes motor and 3S but I am craving something faster and more stable that I can jump/bash on that is still "scale". Ive thought about going brushless in my TRX but think I would spend more time on my roof.

Ive looked at "rock racers" like the Axial Bomber and Gmade but dont want another RTR and it seems these kits are at the ends of their runs. The other option is monster truck but don't want to invest into a Clod and the SMT10 has it weakpoints as well.

At this point Im just going to set on my money until something new comes out that peaks my interest. Ive read here and elsewhere that an improved SMT10 is in the works so hopefully that is true.
tmk9883 is offline   Reply With Quote

The search for a second crawler begins...and my third - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations Foams Search (I'm an idiot) IronGut Tires and Wheels 2 03-27-2015 09:18 AM
In search of Crawler Clubs Nebraska Anmlthng Newbie General 2 02-23-2014 07:44 PM
crawler project begins!!!!!!!!!!!! ttrmike General Crawlers 10 04-15-2005 03:14 PM