Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gen 7 pro or trail honcho 2??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #1

Smile Gen 7 pro or trail honcho 2??

Hi there, I am sort of new to crawlers, I live in South Africa and Carlo is my name. and has done alot of research on my first crawler, What do you suggest as a good platform to build from, redcat gen 7pro or honcho scx ii? They are about the same price here.I wont be doing comps, just fun and adding upgrades especially in the scale department. My heart goes for the gen 7 as it comes with alot of metal bits, and the reviews on youtube looks good, but at the same time axial screams proven platform?? We have very limited suppliers here in South africa, so I need to make the right choice, and I will never hear the end of it from my wife if I buy a rig that dissappoints.
Olrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Gen 7 pro or trail honcho 2??

Although I'm not a fan of either truck, the honcho would be the one I'd go with simply because of parts availability.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the gen 7 while being a solid platform is old school and the best upgrades are.for og scx10 parts so your buying axial replacement parts anyway and you will always have the older style rig the scx10ii trail honcho is new tech and has alot of realy nice upgrades available maybe get the axial builders kit and the gen7 pro body

Last edited by ferp420; 11-03-2019 at 10:45 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #4

Thankyou for your feedback . I appreciate.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Hello Carlo and welcome to RCC, I'd go with the Axial SCX10ii as it has better parts availability and quality. Just because the RedCat comes with more metal bits, doesn't mean that the metal is strong. Were you thinking kit or RTR? What's your terrain like?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

Hey there, yea was thinking rtr. I work long hours so I need a rig thats ready to go. Will upgrade over time. Terrain is pretty standard, coastal mostly with all kinds of terrain. Thanx for the replies, I really dig this forum. I just want a rig thats scale and will last me years and upgrades thats available. Just a good rig that me and son can enjoy
Old 11-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

OK RTR, understand time can be an issue for peeps!

Axial crawler vehicles:
Axial Racing - SCX10

Love these two new classic F100s
Axial Racing - SCX10 II 1955 Ford 1/10th 4wd RTR (Brown)

Axial Racing - SCX10 II 1955 Ford 1/10th 4wd RTR (Green)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:06 AM   #8

I'm a big Gen7 fan, but in this case, I'd suggest the Axial for 2 reasons:

1. Parts for the Redcat may be a bit more difficult to come by in your region of the world

2. Axial parts aren't a "direct" swap, so you'll need to spend time making them work, and it sounds like you'd rather wheel the truck than wrench on it.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:16 AM   #9

Ok I think ill go for the honcho then. Thanx for all the replies
Old 11-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Reading through other threads I see you haven’t made your choice yet. It’s really hard to compare rigs. Axial and Traxxas are at the top for reliability and quality and element is newer but think it is a great rig and is right up there in quality. Redcat I am not sure. My first rig was an Everest 10 that was an old axial ax10 clone and out of the box it sucked. I did all the mods I could and it still wasn’t up to par. Their new rigs are much different and quality is much better

Which rig climbs the best? Hard to say. Nobody I know runs a stock rig and no 2 rigs are the same. Everything gets modified from shocks to tires to weight to foam to motors to ESCs to batteries and body’s. Then you have driving styles and how they choose their lines

That is the fun part. Taking your rig and your style and making it climb the best it can

If I were you I would pick an scx10.2, element enduro, or Traxxas trx4. Whichever one you can get parts for the best. Here in the states the element is the cheapest rtr of the 3. Then pick your scale options to add
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #11

Thanx for all the replies! Its good to talk to some likeminded people. Yup I am picking up a scx 10ii builders kit and will take it from there.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Good to hear you made a choice. If I may suggest a few parts

Hobbywing wp1080 esc...smooth power and a lot of programmability and inexpensive, built in bec to run servo at 7.4v
Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster sport 550 12t... again smooth power and lots of torque, inexpensive

2 things I would not go cheap on is a servo and tires. There are a lot of good cheap metal gear servos out there. Find a high voltage 300+ oz of torque. I prefer a Promodelers 470 but it’s costly. But I don’t think I will ever need to buy another servo
Don’t buy the cheap knock off tires from China. Tires are the most important choice that will make or break your crawling experience. Proline Hydrax 1.9 tires with proline dual stage foam is a great overall tire. A cheap set of aluminum 1.9 bead lock wheels can be found at Amazon for les than the stock plastic axial wheels
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrac View Post
Thanx for all the replies! Its good to talk to some likeminded people. Yup I am picking up a scx 10ii builders kit and will take it from there.
You're welcome, good to hear and looking forward to your build thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman71 View Post
Good to hear you made a choice. If I may suggest a few parts

Hobbywing wp1080 esc...smooth power and a lot of programmability and inexpensive, built in bec to run servo at 7.4v
Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster sport 550 12t... again smooth power and lots of torque, inexpensive

2 things I would not go cheap on is a servo and tires. There are a lot of good cheap metal gear servos out there. Find a high voltage 300+ oz of torque....
Don’t buy the cheap knock off tires from China. Tires are the most important choice that will make or break your crawling experience....

Gen 7 pro or trail honcho 2?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just upgraded from Gen 7 Pro to Gen 8... wow! Zappaz Redcat Crawlers 5 05-04-2019 04:10 PM
Gen 7 Pro portal upgrade or buy Gen 8? Zappaz Redcat Crawlers 3 04-27-2019 10:19 AM
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
Vote! Axial scx honcho or Redcat Gen 7 pro Fasteddy107 Newbie General 15 04-13-2018 07:15 PM