Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: N00b, thinking about first "proper" scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #1

Default N00b, thinking about first "proper" scaler

Hi all,

I recently bought one of those little MN-99 1/12 scale Landy D90 crawlers...and (stupidly) a few upgrade parts.

It's my first crawler, and I wasn't too sure if i'd really get into it - hence the cheap/basic purchase. But, i'm somewhat hooked already (perfect option for when i'm lacking a spot for my faster buggies).

So, looking to the future, scale is definitely where I sit, and cost is a major factor (i'm in New Zealand, so options down here are limited, and even online ordering becomes expensive), but i'd like something reasonably "decent".

At the moment i've narrowed down to the Enduro Sendero, or the Red Cat Gen8 Scout II.

Watching/reading reviews of both, they both seem more than capable with good specs and solid looks. Is there anything between them that's a real difference that I should be aware of before making a decision?

Thanks all!
hamsterrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: N00b, thinking about first "proper" scaler

I vote for the Enduro Sendero. It was my second choice over the TRX4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The Enduro Senduro, would be a good choice, the redcat has a couple known failure points, they can be addressed fairly easily from my understanding.

I do not own either. Don't discount the Scx10II...

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 11-21-2019 at 06:21 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #4

Consider the HPI Venture FJ Cruiser. Lots of metal parts. Glad i chose it as my first
brownsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Personally I like the Gen 8 because of the scale licensed body after a real truck. The Gen 8 also has portal axles which gives it an advantage over the Sendero for crawling over big stuff.

The weak points on the Gen 8 can be easily addressed and fixed with some upgrades.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Enduro or Trx-4 both very dependable and durable rigs
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Hamsterrorist, welcome to RCC, also take a look at Vaterra Ascender and Axial SCX10 or UMG10 as they are similar types of crawler and good quality!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #8

TRX-4 is what I'd highly recommend. Avoid the Redcat. People seem to love the Enduro.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
Slow is the new Fast

The Ascender, while arguably dated, is a solid rig and in my opinion a good choice. The problem is that not only the aftermarket, but even Horizon(Vaterra) has discontinued a lot of parts support....booo Horizon you suck for that.

The TRX4 is a beast. Someone on here described it as ‘stout’. It’s solid, overbuilt and comes complete with many nice touches. Traxxas is a successful company, support will always be there and the aftermarket is on board. I suspect the trx4will make people money for some time to come. A smart choice if you just want to get down to business.

The Axial SCX10 is a hobbbyists wet dream. There is tons of aftermarket and Horizon is in love with their new project in Axial. SCX10’s scream ‘HELP ME’, the Aftermarket loves that sound Best thing about the SCX10ii is SSD’s Pro44 axles.

Enduro Sendero, likely my next kit.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback all.

The TRX4 does seem to be (arguably) the best of the bunch at the moment, but I have some problems with Traxxas myself and would rather steer clear of them.

Redcat stuff always seemed to be closer to toy grade, as such was a surprise when I found the Gen8 was a serious contender.

Ultimately the Sendero or the Gen8 will run me $700 (maybe a little less on the Gen8 as that one i'd need to order online and perhaps it'd duck our local customs duties). At that price it makes the decision a wee bit harder
hamsterrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The Gen 8 is a solid truck despite what some on here will tell you. Many upgrades are available for it & the aftermarket is supporting it. I've had mine since January & run it hard on 3s (I crawl, not bash). The only thing I've broken is a link mount. Everybody bitches & moans about the portal gears, but I'm still on the originals. I have the new heavy duty ones as spares. Cheap insurance. I'm not telling you which one to get, just don't discount the Gen 8. All the trucks you mentioned are good trucks.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote

N00b, thinking about first "proper" scaler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
n00b "builds" a Marlin Crawler Edition Trail Finder 2 pardonmyn00b RC4WD Trail Finder 2 64 03-26-2018 05:11 AM
Thinking about buying "The Makers Guide – Triple Edge Finder" Calderwood Tools, and Procedures 16 06-23-2014 05:21 PM