Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Bomber. Will it do this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bomber. Will it do this?

First up I am fairly new to the hobby,one Tamiya rally car.
I want to run/light bash on rougher ground BUT don't like buggy style models.
The "crawler" style floats my boat BUT the cars that I have been told to get,Twin hammer and Yeti are no longer available.
I am in UK and this side of the hobby is not very common with little help.

So my question is, will the bomber handle being used like a buggy? loose ground,bit of tarmac,short grass and some air,not huge air?

I do not want ballistic speeds,i am not even going to say it must do 30,40 or50mph I just want to keep up with Tamiya buggies,on the straight at least, I have ben told rock racers don't turn at all at speed.

I do not want to take a chance buy a bomber and self build kit and put a fast motor in it to find I blow the gear box or diffs. I have no shops or guys to help with this.

Would a bomber compare to a Tamiya 4wd truck kit? the black foot and clod buster etc,hope so? Or compare to the FTX outlaws?

One shop said go with the new traxass Maxx BUT I don't like that style.

Any advice would be great on will it suit my needs and if so power and gearing. It will never get crawled and if so only small stuff.
Gazzalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bomber. Will it do this?

Alright. I am familiar with the Scx10 series more so than the Bomber. That said, the Bomber can be built bullet proof. If you break it there are 10 manufacturers that provide replacement/upgrade parts. The bomber is massive compared to a Tamiya buggy and can be made really fast. I wish I had a picture of what my buddy did with his, but a 6.5t brushlees motor made his every bit as fast in a straight line as my brushed slash. He was able to launch up this hill with a very short run up, do a backflip and land...

Easy to keep up with a brushed short course or Tamiya buggy, in a straight line... Btw U4 racing in the Usa...

https://youtu.be/TFkKZ9dIyMM
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

A bomber can be made to be a decent basher, but in stock form, it's not. It's got a motor that's too slow for bashing, it's got tires (and especially foams) that are too soft for bashing, the ride height is too high for bashing, and it's not really durable enough for reliable abuse. Address those areas, and maybe open the locked differentials, and the Bomber may bash decently, all for a price of only 3x what you can buy a good basher for.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

What would you define as bashing?
I am in the UK in London and believe me there is little in the way of land to use. It would mainly be short grass or gravel in a car park. Rock outcrops for crawling? no chance at all. Clubs to join and use in the UK? possible other side of the country for me. This is just a fun activity for me and son. Any damage would come from turning over at speed not from dropping down from high rocks or massive jumps,there are no massive jumps where I live And the close proximity to people would stop that.
Basically if I bought a Bomber if I put a fast motor in would it tear any drive train apart? I am more concerned about the car not taking the power because of gearing. breaking parts due to my use I am not worried about because the extreme terrain is not there to do it. I would have a blast running fast in a empty car park on tarmac or loose gravel. Again if the drive train can take that. but I do want a good turn of speed. The speed my Tamiya rally car did from stock was no fun. I changed to a 15t from the 27t motor and the increase was much more fun BUT I would hate to go slower again. I can not give actual speeds.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

with to much power the diffs in the axles will flex allowing the gears to grind you can fix that buy going with metal axles you would also want sway bars front and rear and maybe open diffs along with everything they sead already

maybe keep a eye out for a used rig i scored a yeti a few months ago almost brand new for super cheap there are still deals outhere

Last edited by ferp420; 11-11-2019 at 04:57 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Sounds like you need a Slash 4x or equal, whatever has parts readily available.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:45 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Sounds like you need a Slash 4x or equal, whatever has parts readily available.
If it don't look like what you like,whats the point?
Slash and maxx and e-revo etc,etc not for me. rather go without.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:05 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzalene View Post
If it don't look like what you like,whats the point?
Slash and maxx and e-revo etc,etc not for me. rather go without.
you can change the body to something more scale or even a tube body heres a few picks of my redcat short course truck with wraith cage its changed since these pics were taken i fastbacked the cage and used differant side pannels but its fast ive had.it up to 47 mph it dose well on the trails and is a blast on the track and still has a scale look to it it wont do rocks vary well at all but it will with wheel speed it usaly makes it through its atleast 5 years old and has been a vary reliable rig and its already set up to go fast

if your ok with your max speed of aroumd 10 mph than just about any crawler will do any faster than that your looking at spending alot of money speed cost money even in the scale world

Last edited by ferp420; 11-12-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
RCC Addict

How about this?

20151204_203041 by MAC FAB, on Flickr

Or this?

20180411_192555 by MAC FAB, on Flickr

Granted, these are scratchbuilds. Slash based. DB8 cage on a Slash 4x, they put Yeti cages on there as well.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Ferp420 and MAC FAB, This will give me something to look into. I know of the slash,Traxxas one? BUT have no idea of the REDCAT and being in the UK have not yet found anything on sale here. will look at this option.tahnks
Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I have seen people convert the bomber to independent front suspension. Which basically makes it a yeti. You can find more info in the forums.

Kinda surprised if traxxas, Losi and Armma don't have buggies like the yeti.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Losi rock Rey, pretty similar to the yeti.
I would not compare it to a clod buster.

You know that you can just change the bodies on all of these. You're only limited by your creativity and imagination.

If you want it to parform like a black foot, buy a Blackfoot and change the body...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Losi Rock Rey.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Fer real...get a Rock Rey.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzalene View Post
Ferp420 and MAC FAB, This will give me something to look into. I know of the slash,Traxxas one? BUT have no idea of the REDCAT and being in the UK have not yet found anything on sale here. will look at this option.tahnks
redcat is a american distributor for a chinese manufacturer hsp i think there cheap the blackout i used for my buggie was 160 a new take off wraith cage is around 70 us of course or bomber cage or what ever you want to adapt to it point is you dont have to spend a fortune to find out if you like it if you start with some thing that fits your needs and customize the body to look the look you.will have alot more fun than trying to make a slow scaler go fast

heres a link to the model i used to build my redwraith only because the wraith /bomber cage fits the chassie is about the same width as the skidplate so its a mostly easy swap
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/391930136143

Last edited by ferp420; 11-13-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #16

i would use the rock rey to bash, the bomber is not a good choice. i drove it off my front porch, like 4 feet drop, it is heavy so to control the pitch you need a fast finger and huge motor....needless to say it nosedived into dirt and broke the end link instantly. Using a bomber on a short course track would be a disaster in my mind unless you totally changed from the actual design.

imagine a bomber racing against a lucas oil offroad short course truck in real life. it would be a safety hazard to have the bomber out there.
Sexy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
A bomber can be made to be a decent basher, but in stock form, it's not. It's got a motor that's too slow for bashing, it's got tires (and especially foams) that are too soft for bashing, the ride height is too high for bashing, and it's not really durable enough for reliable abuse. Address those areas, and maybe open the locked differentials, and the Bomber may bash decently, all for a price of only 3x what you can buy a good basher for.
Truth
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

On top of the great suggestion of the Losi Rock Rey, there is also the Redcat Camo X4 which is similar in being a rock racer styled solid rear axle/front indepentant truck. Cheaper than the Losi as well.
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

My complaint with my Rey is that it is certainly not bulletproof. The drivetrain needs come attention to not blow up on 3S.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
My complaint with my Rey is that it is certainly not bulletproof. The drivetrain needs come attention to not blow up on 3S.
But it is currently marked down to $249.99 for the Bind-N-Drive version, which certainly leaves some room for upgrades!

(I shudder to think how much I've sank into my Bomber...)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

Bomber. Will it do this? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Crawling bomber into trail rig bomber. theTman Axial RR10 Bomber 2 06-10-2016 01:46 PM