Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Whats the formula

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #1

Default Whats the formula

I have a limited amount of experience with RC. I have had a couple of Tamiya's , Fox and Unimog. Axial XCS 10. Then 3 WPL Tacoma's, just because they are so cheap.

Now I want to build a realistic 1/10th scale rig, my budget is cheaper the better or under $400 if possible.

So what is the magic formula to build a scale RC that performs realistically, meaning the rig isn't jerky and the suspension isn't bouncy, but the whole rig is smooth running. Is it the motor, ESC, servos, or the combination?

I am ok with starting with a kit or RTR, or even a builder kit. I am not brand loyal, yet.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!
Tom
TCBronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Whats the formula

Realistic feel. Brushed motor, 2s battery, weak servo, stiff suspension. Oh and don't forget small tires and a hardbody.
donny8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #3

Any specific parts that you know that work, like motor, servos, ESC, battery, chassis, size of wheel and tires?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny8594 View Post
Realistic feel. Brushed motor, 2s battery, weak servo, stiff suspension. Oh and don't forget small tires and a hardbody.
I would make one change... the suspension needs to be much softer on an RC to simulate realistic movement. Because weight doesn't scale down the same way as size, RCs end up way too light to simulate the movements of full size cars. The only way to compensate for that is to add a ton of weight to the vehicle, or soften the suspension. Full size vehicles are set up with a significant amount of suspension droop, where most RCs, especially crawlers, have little to no droop.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Viscosity doesn’t scale at all so you will need to run very light weight fluid or none to get the suspension to move like a 1:1. I took the oil out of the shocks on my Blazer and it made a big difference with how realistic the suspension moves. Be warned though, this will hurt overall performance.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Viscosity doesn’t scale at all so you will need to run very light weight fluid or none to get the suspension to move like a 1:1. I took the oil out of the shocks on my Blazer and it made a big difference with how realistic the suspension moves. Be warned though, this will hurt overall performance.
oil viscosity and spring rate both need to be adjusted to compensate for the non-scale weight differential.

If our 1:10 cars were 1:10 the weight of full size cars (can you imagine a 400lb 1:10 RC!?), it would be a very different hobby!
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
oil viscosity and spring rate both need to be adjusted to compensate for the non-scale weight differential.

If our 1:10 cars were 1:10 the weight of full size cars (can you imagine a 400lb 1:10 RC!?), it would be a very different hobby!
Scaling weight down is a cubed function of a scaled dimension. A 1" x 1" x 1" steel cube will only weigh 1:1000 of a cube that is 10" x 10" x 10" since 10 x 10 x 10 equals 1000. So, a true scale RC of a 4500lb rig would only need to be 4.5lbs to be true to scale.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
Scaling weight down is a cubed function of a scaled dimension. A 1" x 1" x 1" steel cube will only weigh 1:1000 of a cube that is 10" x 10" x 10" since 10 x 10 x 10 equals 1000. So, a true scale RC of a 4500lb rig would only need to be 4.5lbs to be true to scale.
Good point.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
RCC Addict

For the most realistic action, I would start with one of the TRX4 models with locking diffs and 2 speed trans basically anything except the Sport. For most realistic smooth power I recommend an HW1080 ESC paired with HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21T brushed motor. Finally a comment about suspension set up. The stock TRX4 shocks are smooth, leak free, adjustable and Traxxas offers a range of optional spring rates which allow you to fine tune them to your driving style. When setting up the suspension for realistic movement I recommend a static droop of around 50% or 1/2 of the total suspension travel. Droop is simply the amount the suspension compresses with the static weight of the truck setting on the wheels.

Last edited by Inspector86; 12-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #10

Thank yo to all taht have responded!
Old 12-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I would make one change... the suspension needs to be much softer on an RC to simulate realistic movement. Because weight doesn't scale down the same way as size, RCs end up way too light to simulate the movements of full size cars. The only way to compensate for that is to add a ton of weight to the vehicle, or soften the suspension. Full size vehicles are set up with a significant amount of suspension droop, where most RCs, especially crawlers, have little to no droop.
Good point but it seems it would depend on the full size vehicle your replicating. My 1:1 jeeps were stiff as wedding wieners, my current 1:1 feels like it does yoga.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
For the most realistic action, I would start with one of the TRX4 models with locking diffs and 2 speed trans basically anything except the Sport. For most realistic smooth power I recommend an HW1080 ESC paired with HH Trailmaster Sport 550 21T brushed motor. Finally a comment about suspension set up. The stock TRX4 shocks are smooth, leak free, adjustable and Traxxas offers a range of optional spring rates which allow you to fine tune them to your driving style. When setting up the suspension for realistic movement I recommend a static droop of around 50% or 1/2 of the total suspension travel. Droop is simply the amount the suspension compresses with the static weight of the truck setting on the wheels.
Can not agree more on the trx4...
Old 12-06-2019, 04:27 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I’ll say it again because l’ve been down this roady already: Even if you get the shocks setup with 50% droop you are going to need to either drop your fluid viscosity down to 10 or none or open up the holes in the piston a lot to get the suspension to move realistically. The stock fluid is too thick to let the suspension react to small higher speed bumps like a 1:1.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Whats the formula - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Formula? Dustin_Z Formula Offroad 8 04-23-2011 07:54 PM
RADIOS: Whats needed and whats a good price tag losikid Electronics 3 02-08-2011 10:20 PM
whats swx? and whats a super? SpaceBalls Newbie General 17 08-05-2009 11:41 AM
whats hot, whats not. post good and bad setups and products TomEGunn General Crawlers 9 05-28-2009 07:29 PM
Formula??? ohmyCLOD! Electronics 4 03-26-2009 01:53 PM