RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   LiPo convert here... what to do with old NiMH batteries? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/613951-lipo-convert-here-what-do-old-nimh-batteries.html)

brownsound 12-15-2019 02:14 AM

LiPo convert here... what to do with old NiMH batteries?

So i have seen how superior LiPo performs on my crawler...

so now i am trying to decide what to do with my 2000, 4000 and 5000mAh NiMH packs. the only thing i can think of is to leave them in my field bag as back up until they are replaced with LiPos....

or could they be used purely to power lighting systems? i could potentially use the 2000 for that job as it would be the lightest.

or could they be used to power smaller scale buggies and such (provided some modifications to the smaller battery trays...)?

tuxstang 12-15-2019 02:46 AM

Re: LiPo convert here... what to do with old NiMH batteries?

Buy a Tamiya CC01 or CC02 :mrgreen:

turboturro88 12-15-2019 05:44 AM

i would toss them (properly) and never look back. i converted most of my cars over the beginning of the year after i bought my first lipo capable car last fall.

Jim85IROC 12-15-2019 07:00 AM

I put them in my loaner RCs that I let my kids' friends use or provide them with RCs that I sell. If neither of those apply to you, toss em. You won't miss them.

ferp420 12-15-2019 08:22 AM

if for some reason i end up with a new nimh battery i.donate it to a thrift store or something if its been used at all it just sits in a box doing nothing till i need it for anything other than rc im sure non of mine are anygood anymore they have been sitting for so long but if i need to rebuild a old drill or something i might bust them out and see

Jackalo626 12-15-2019 09:07 AM

Seems like a bunch of people that are in this hobby still use them and would take them. Put them up in a post and have someone just pay postage both ways and help a fellow rc enthusiast out. Throwing away or never using is a waste.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thorsteenster 12-15-2019 01:42 PM

Keep them, never hurts to have a spare, bashing, or for an RC buddy in need.

nightcrawler48 12-15-2019 10:11 PM

I have one NiMH battery left, all the others I had died over the years and were disposed of. I use this last one for testing; motors, ESCs, servos, receivers, lights, and for quick tests of my RCs after mods, etc. This works well for me as it is always available and I don't have to take a LiPo from storage, charge it, do my tests, and then storage charge again. When i remember, I charge the NiMH so its ready for my next testing.

crawlinwithacat 12-20-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 (Post 5983808)
I have one NiMH battery left, all the others I had died over the years and were disposed of. I use this last one for testing; motors, ESCs, servos, receivers, lights, and for quick tests of my RCs after mods, etc. This works well for me as it is always available and I don't have to take a LiPo from storage, charge it, do my tests, and then storage charge again. When i remember, I charge the NiMH so its ready for my next testing.

That's smart actually! I just have a box of em chillin around my wrenching area somewhere. I was actually able to use them for a project that needed a custom battery pack that was under very little draw. You can cut them apart and (kinda) solder them together. It turned out great because the packs I used weren't totally bad, but bad enough that it was pointless to use as an rc battery haha! So I say hang onto them. Ya never know