Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Competitive questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

Default Competitive questions

Iv wondered if a gen8 met sorrca standards to be C2? Iv kinda wondered as well if there’s a minimum to how scale a truck is, like the stock scout body, would that be scale enough to compete or would it need more scale accessories or a whole new hardbody to be competitive? Thanks for any advice in advance
FunkMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Competitive questions

I wondering this as well fallowing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
White Bear Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Not all events follow sorca class rules, but you can find the class rules on the sorca website.

You can make it class 1 even if you want to.

I don't care for sorca rules myself as I'm not all that competitive. But I believe if you don't go for the full scale points you have little chance at placing. If that dosent matter to you then your probably good to go for class 2.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #4

I reckon my main concern is the chassis, it kinda stops right on top of the front wheels but then has a plastic piece that continuous on for the front bumper mount but since it’s not solid it leaves me wondering
Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Read the rules for yourself.

http://www.sorrca.com/rules/2020rules.pdf
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would say that any reasonable group would allow a Gen 8 to run in C2.

If that chassis extension on the front of the Gen 8 provided some kind of significant advantage and you were dominating all the comps, then some one may try to make it an issue but it seems highly doubtful.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I would say that any reasonable group would allow a Gen 8 to run in C2.

If that chassis extension on the front of the Gen 8 provided some kind of significant advantage and you were dominating all the comps, then some one may try to make it an issue but it seems highly doubtful.
As configured, the Scout does meet C2 standards. The wheels are really the only thing that is iffy for the class, they are right at the limit for C2 (4.75"), but should be allowed.

Of course, it all depends on how knit-picky they want to get, someone might say the wheels are too big, but I doubt if they would. If you are competing with a club like what we have around here, being a new kid, they'll let you run. If they have a heartache about anything on your rig they'll ask you to fix it before the next comp.

If the local club is hard-core, and they try to make every comp look like nations, then they might be a lot more knit-picky, and might even break out the calipers. But, clubs following SOCCA rules are supposed to go by the official tire size of that particular tire, and not by the actual OD.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Read the rules for yourself.

http://www.sorrca.com/rules/2020rules.pdf

I read them and don’t understand hints why I came here, thank you all for the input. Now I have a better understanding. Iv just been wanting to get into doing some comps so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t trying to fix up a rig that wasn’t going to work. Thanks again
Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Your Gen8 will fit Class 2 rules as long as you haven't done anything to it that would put it out of the class. Most commonly people put on big 2.2 tires (above 4.75" tall) or remove the bumper (Class 2 requires a chassis mounted bumper).
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #10

Awesome I do appreciate the help! It’s mostly stock and I halfway understand the rules and whatnot just got tripped up but thanks again
Old 01-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Your Gen 8 should fit into class 2 as is, but a smaller body with better approach and departure angles would be very helpful. You'd also need bumpers obviously.

I've noticed a few different comp series abandoning the scale points. They just want the truck to fall into the class rules and you're good to go. If your group does use points, it is very beneficial to play that point game if you are really trying to be competitive. Practice as much as you can with that vehicle so you get to know it and its limitations. You would be surprised how much better a stock truck with a great driver will do than a fully built truck with a bad driver.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I've noticed a few different comp series abandoning the scale points.
Love this...

Overall I am not a fan of scale points, awarding points for someone zip-tying a paper clip to their truck and calling it a winch anchor. Plus, there are lots of ways to cheat here (fudge at least), or just flat out lie. When someone marks down 60 scale points for their rig, and you can't see 20, there is a problem. Or, the guy glues brass tubing to his body and he takes point for a full metal roll cage. For C1, yes, it is supposed to "scale", and you should be rewarded for making it as scale as possible. But for C2 & 3, meh, why bother? This might also go back to cutting my teeth in crawlers back where comp crawlers were king, as long was your rig met specifications for the class you were good to go, and your driving did the rest.

JMHO...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Love this...

Overall I am not a fan of scale points, awarding points for someone zip-tying a paper clip to their truck and calling it a winch anchor. Plus, there are lots of ways to cheat here (fudge at least), or just flat out lie. When someone marks down 60 scale points for their rig, and you can't see 20, there is a problem. Or, the guy glues brass tubing to his body and he takes point for a full metal roll cage. For C1, yes, it is supposed to "scale", and you should be rewarded for making it as scale as possible. But for C2 & 3, meh, why bother? This might also go back to cutting my teeth in crawlers back where comp crawlers were king, as long was your rig met specifications for the class you were good to go, and your driving did the rest.

JMHO...

Thumbs up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
White Bear Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
RCC Addict

In a way, I like them. I think it is fun to try to figure out how to max the points out while trying to get the best performance. On the other hand, it ends up causing quite a bit of drama when people want to argue about it. My first comp, a local blew up on the guy doing tech because he was not positive that a license plate sticker counted as a scale point. He said he would write it down but he would get back to him. This ended up with ol dude throwing his truck in the trunk of his car and driving off. Shortly after that, he wrote a huge rant on FB and tagged the other guy. Both guys have a pretty big following on social media and sponsorship deals.

I'm building a new comp rig now and just going to try to keep it light and simple. I'm anxious to see how I can get it to perform without all the added weight up top.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

This is why not every event follows sorca guidelines. I just do Sunday fun runs myself, but I hear many of the events around here are more of a "run what you brung" with loose 123 classes.

Fun is priority. I would rather win a soda and hotdog then a trophy with attitude.

Handy gearing spreadsheet
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:59 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
This is why not every event follows sorca guidelines. I just do Sunday fun runs myself, but I hear many of the events around here are more of a "run what you brung" with loose 123 classes.

Fun is priority. I would rather win a soda and hotdog then a trophy with attitude.

Handy gearing spreadsheet
I like the events where you just get a high five when you win

Fun and easy going.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Competitive questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a competitive C2/C2.5 body thirtydaZe Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 0 11-12-2019 11:47 PM
Cr-01 Competitive Crawler?? crawling-wallz Tamiya CR-01 7 06-16-2011 11:30 AM
Now a competitive sport? JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 29 04-15-2009 08:25 PM
competitive Crawling Old Way General Crawlers 27 10-19-2007 12:35 PM
1.9 Competitive??? DrasticSports.com 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 05-14-2007 09:09 AM