Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: One Transmitter, Multiple Receivers/Trucks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #1

Default One Transmitter, Multiple Receivers/Trucks?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to RC. Or at least I haven't owned anything RC since I was 10.

I recently purchased a basher, but am looking to get a crawler.

For those that have multiple (3+) trucks, can you invest in one primary transmitter and just link it to multiple receivers? Do they need to be the same brand? Any suggestions on this?

Thanks!
weeznur32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: One Transmitter, Multiple Receivers/Trucks?

Yes, and yes....

Most aftermarket radios have multi-model memory, so you just install a compatible receiver and go.

We all have our favorite radios and brands. I like Spetrum, my DX5R and DX5C work great, they are easy to use, and sport receivers cheap.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I’m also a Spektrum fan, and already have several models running off of my Spektrum radio, however I recently decided to try a Flysky GT3C in my latest crawler build. For 40 bucks you get a programmable radio with an lcd screen, receiver, and receiver LiPo. Works great so far. Extra receivers are less than 10 bucks, but for 40 bucks for the whole setup I’ll likely just get a dedicated radio for each model. I like letting other people drive/try out my cars so a radio for each car can be very convenient even if it seems weird. Not sure if I would or wouldn’t use this radio for a race vehicle given the many conflicting opinions regarding the range, but for crawling and trailing it doesn’t seem to be an issue at all.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Another Spektrum guy here. My DX4C is linked to 9 different rigs at the moment. And yes, Tx and Rx must be the same manufacturer. Spektrum stuff is super easy to bind as well.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Futaba for me, 40 model memory, 2 stick driver. My wish list has 8CH surface TX & RX on it, 4CH not cutting it.

pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Flysky GT5 on my TRX4 and Stampede. I have the old receiver box for the Stampede still in tact. If someone wants to join me it takes 10 mins to swap out the box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I will second the spektrum dx5c. I have it for my Capra, scx 10.2, and my savage flux. 5 channel receivers for the axials and a 2 channel receiver for the savage. I’m still learning the ins and outs of programming a radio with all the adjustment features that the dx5c has. I like it and I’m probably going to get my son one as well. Not too expensive and receivers are priced accordingly to how may channels you get. 2 channels are only $30. 5 channels are $60, but still less expensive than Futaba. I wouldn’t knock Futaba, they are just a bit more expensive and definitely on the higher end for radios.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I've been thinking of picking up a Flysky GT5 and using it for 5+ vehicles.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghonda99 View Post
I will second the spektrum dx5c. I have it for my Capra, scx 10.2, and my savage flux. 5 channel receivers for the axials and a 2 channel receiver for the savage. I’m still learning the ins and outs of programming a radio with all the adjustment features that the dx5c has. I like it and I’m probably going to get my son one as well. Not too expensive and receivers are priced accordingly to how may channels you get. 2 channels are only $30. 5 channels are $60, but still less expensive than Futaba. I wouldn’t knock Futaba, they are just a bit more expensive and definitely on the higher end for radios.

I was set on a nice Futaba, until I saw the price of extra receivers. I still want one though lol

aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I have a RC4GS...can run 10 different cars with it and receivers are like 8bucks a piece
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
I have a RC4GS...can run 10 different cars with it and receivers are like 8bucks a piece
Same here. I have a couple of these radios, one for my son's trucks, and one for mine. The radios work great, they're cheap, and the receivers are dirt cheap. My only complaint is that the receiver housings are a bit fragile, but nothing that a wire tie can't fix.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyPotty View Post
I've been thinking of picking up a Flysky GT5 and using it for 5+ vehicles.
It's a great choice. Much better than the GT3 IMO simply for the updated and correct firmware and half as many AA batteries which makes it cheaper to run and much lighter. I just never liked the feel of the GT3 whereas the GT5 is fine.

I don't dare take one of my expensive Futaba or Sanwa radios on the trail. A fall already killed my Radiolink RC4GS
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Spektrum was my "go to" when I was flying, but, personally, for surface, I'll stick with Futaba, as they've got a proven track record. I can have as many as 40 vehicles programmed into the Rx, and switching between takes nothing more than a few seconds, and 3-4 'button' presses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
I was set on a nice Futaba, until I saw the price of extra receivers. I still want one though lol
Compared to some other brands, Futaba can be the less-costly route to go. For example, Sanwa/Airtronics (another excellent surface brand) transmitters might cost half as much as Futaba transmitters, but they're receivers can cost up to twice the price. If I knew, from the beginning, that I was going to have five, or less, vehicles, then I would have gone with Sanwa/Airtronics. However, once you have six, or more, vehicles, Futaba becomes the less-costly option. Overall, Futaba receivers really aren't all that expensive...plus, Futaba puts them on sale (occasionally, up to 50-60% off) several times throughout the year.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Spektrum was my "go to" when I was flying, but, personally, for surface, I'll stick with Futaba, as they've got a proven track record. I can have as many as 40 vehicles programmed into the Rx, and switching between takes nothing more than a few seconds, and 3-4 'button' presses.

Compared to some other brands, Futaba can be the less-costly route to go. For example, Sanwa/Airtronics (another excellent surface brand) transmitters might cost half as much as Futaba transmitters, but they're receivers can cost up to twice the price. If I knew, from the beginning, that I was going to have five, or less, vehicles, then I would have gone with Sanwa/Airtronics. However, once you have six, or more, vehicles, Futaba becomes the less-costly option. Overall, Futaba receivers really aren't all that expensive...plus, Futaba puts them on sale (occasionally, up to 50-60% off) several times throughout the year.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Once upon a time KRAFT was the big deal. Talking early 70, Futaba was just starting in the market. I will say over all Futaba, price, value, durability, and experience, is perfect considering all.

If the only thing someone can gripe about is the price. I assume they're are not interested in function or durability.

Cheap + quality = does not add up, a pipe dream at best
pep

Last edited by JacktheRipper; 01-20-2020 at 08:33 AM.
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Not sure about their current stuff... but the reason I don't have any new radios is because all my old futaba stuff from mid-90 and early 2000s still works. And I was a kid that probably didn't treat it all that well back then. Other than some broken crystals, they all still work.

I'm reading this thread because I'm debating a new setup... mainly so I can put a smaller antenna on it lol
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post

These work great with Futaba. I use them for basher rigs that dont need crazy fast response or crawlers that need 4ch or less. Not in stock often or very long periods of time, but great for rigs you dont a full feature futaba setup.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx...-and-sbus.html
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Not sure about their current stuff... but the reason I don't have any new radios is because all my old futaba stuff from mid-90 and early 2000s still works. And I was a kid that probably didn't treat it all that well back then. Other than some broken crystals, they all still work.

I'm reading this thread because I'm debating a new setup... mainly so I can put a smaller antenna on it lol
The problem with crystals back in the day was interference, you could only have six rigs running at once. All it took was one inconsiderate ass-hat to not check frequencies before he turned on his radio to ruin your day. This was the great thing about spread spectrum radio gear, most of that went away. Today, you likely don't have to worry about this at all, because you'll likely be the only one running crystals.

With that, there are a lot of great features to take advantage of with a new system.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm a Futaba guy. Had my 4PLS for about 5 years now. It has taken many drops and falls and even been rained on a couple times and still works perfectly. The micro receivers are actually reasonably priced. ~$40 IIRC. The ONLY down side that I can say about having one TX for multiple vehicles is that you can't just loan the truck to someone to play with while you are crawling. I ended up putting my 1.9 Wraith back to stock for that reason. Nice to just hand a kid or friend the remote and let them run with you (and you dont care as much if they drop the radio)
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I'm a Futaba guy. Had my 4PLS for about 5 years now. It has taken many drops and falls and even been rained on a couple times and still works perfectly. The micro receivers are actually reasonably priced. ~$40 IIRC. The ONLY down side that I can say about having one TX for multiple vehicles is that you can't just loan the truck to someone to play with while you are crawling. I ended up putting my 1.9 Wraith back to stock for that reason. Nice to just hand a kid or friend the remote and let them run with you (and you dont care as much if they drop the radio)
That's part of why I keep my Traxxas VXL electronics. This way, all I'd have to do is temporarily swap the vehicle's 'designated' electronics for the Traxxas electronics, and the vehicle is "good to go" for someone else, all while still using my 7PX & whatever vehicle I'm using.

Another great reason for having a "full electronics system" backup is for centering servos on new vehicles, and for testing said vehicles while I await arrival of that vehicle's actual electronics. In newer builds, I've made the receivers & ESCs removable (velcro, or removable electronics tray). I'm also in the process of switching earlier vehicles to 'removable' electronics.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
The problem with crystals back in the day was interference, you could only have six rigs running at once. All it took was one inconsiderate ass-hat to not check frequencies before he turned on his radio to ruin your day. This was the great thing about spread spectrum radio gear, most of that went away. Today, you likely don't have to worry about this at all, because you'll likely be the only one running crystals.

With that, there are a lot of great features to take advantage of with a new system.
Yup... I raced stadium trucks back in the day of a giant peg board with clothes pins marked with frequencies. You don't turn it on unless you have that # clothes pin on your antenna.

Ironically... went out bashing with a friend who has an old stampede and we happen to have the same crystals Luckily, I've got 3 or 4 pairs. Out of all my friends... hes the only one running crystals and only on one of his trucks.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote

One Transmitter, Multiple Receivers/Trucks? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many receivers can you bind to one transmitter? OkinawaCrawler Electronics 3 02-24-2014 02:04 AM
1 Transmitter , 2 receivers , 1 Crawlers - Possible ??? Tread Well Newbie General 19 10-15-2012 12:56 PM