Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tire foam?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 AM   #1

Default Tire foam?

Maybe I think too much but should my foams be different for my front tires than my back tires? Maybe a little softer on the front tire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
golokobori7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tire foam?

Typically, a crawler will have more weight on the front tires than the rear, so going to softer foams in the front can often lead to the tires folding over when descending and cornering. Thus if not using the same foam front and rear, some will often put softer foams in the rear, since there is less weight on that axle.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

if your doing alot of climbing you might want stiffer foams in the rear cause when your climbing the entire weight of the vehicle is on the rear tires and almost no weight on the front so the fronts still need to be soft so they can grip and pull the rig up
depending on how soft the front is your turning will suffer and sidhilling will also suffer
the duel stage foams are the best way to go if your set on using foams you can run a soft outer and get the grip and a stiff inner to keep the tires shape while turning or sidhilling or having all your weight on ether front or rear wheels

pesonaly i like innertires there cheaper they wont breakdown nearly as fast as foams and they dont get flatspots and there tunable to a point but they add alot of rotating weight so not realy a good option for comp rigs but it works great on scalers
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by golokobori7672 View Post
Maybe I think too much but should my foams be different for my front tires than my back tires? Maybe a little softer on the front tire?

Thanks guys for the advice after this and some research I think I’m going with two stage foams on all tires for now.

golokobori7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #5

Despite what the prevailing opinion in this thread seems to be so far, most people tend to run a slightly softer foam in the front than in the rear in order to help the truck climb better. The most popular option seems to be Crawler Innovations Lil Novas, which are a 2 stage foam that includes a firm inner section to prevent the tire from completely collapsing and causing the kind of problems that RKJ mentioned, but still able to conform to the terrain thanks to a softer outer foam. In most of my trucks, I run Lil Nova Softs up front and Lil Nova Mediums out back. I find that this combination seems to suit me well. The front tires can conform when crawling, but won't fold over or cause sidehilling problems.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
You mean among folks who run different foams on one rig right? Would you not agree that 99% run four identical foams?
I run firmer rear than front and its all i have ever known. When proline released their dual stage it was the first time i heard of running the same all around on a dual stage.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I run the same foam all the way around. But the next time I buy foam, I will try a softer front foam.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
if your doing alot of climbing you might want stiffer foams in the rear cause when your climbing the entire weight of the vehicle is on the rear tires and almost no weight on the front so the fronts still need to be soft so they can grip and pull the rig up
depending on how soft the front is your turning will suffer and sidhilling will also suffer
the duel stage foams are the best way to go if your set on using foams you can run a soft outer and get the grip and a stiff inner to keep the tires shape while turning or sidhilling or having all your weight on ether front or rear wheels

pesonaly i like innertires there cheaper they wont breakdown nearly as fast as foams and they dont get flatspots and there tunable to a point but they add alot of rotating weight so not realy a good option for comp rigs but it works great on scalers
Hello,
Can you talk more about the "innertires", I tried running a search, generally and via hobby shop.

Unable to locate information about the product.
Just a link will be helpful for the resource you are using.

I like scale
Thanks in advance

pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I run all four foams the same. I see little to no difference between soft front and firm rear and once you take the wheels off you have to keep track of which is which. Four of the same foam is just one less thing to have to keep track of. IMO, if you are not competing it is not worth the extra complexity.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I run all four foams the same. I see little to no difference between soft front and firm rear and once you take the wheels off you have to keep track of which is which. Four of the same foam is just one less thing to have to keep track of. IMO, if you are not competing it is not worth the extra complexity.
Marking the inside of the wheel with an "F" or "R" takes seconds, but if that's too hard, just giving the tire a squeeze should help you separate the fronts from the rears.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #11

I marked my wheels to know which foams go where, but you can also feel them as previously mentioned.
Nez02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire foam? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deuce's Wild XL Foam Pair; 3.8" ID; Yeti XL Foam / BFG Krawler Tire Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 12 08-31-2015 08:20 AM
Tire foam YJeep10 Newbie General 9 02-13-2011 09:59 PM
getting tire foam out blott22 Tires and Wheels 1 12-13-2010 12:21 AM
Foam of the tire Vicfirth1989 Newbie General 4 04-03-2010 07:02 PM
tire foam sevacko Tires and Wheels 5 06-12-2008 11:15 PM