Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Good Crawler for 4 Year Old?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #21

Default Re: Good Crawler for 4 Year Old?

UB83- I now see that the TRX-4 Sport is a pretty good package to learn on with 'training' mode. I just wish with the TQ radio it was easier to swtich between 'training' and normal modes.

Does anyone know if the radios for the Ascender Suburban, RedCat Gen 7 or Everest 10 have throttle trim?

The SCX24 we have has the L-M-H throttle trim that makes it quick and easy to change the max throttle.
hotrod6107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod6107 View Post
...Does anyone know if the radios for the Ascender Suburban, RedCat Gen 7 or Everest 10 have throttle trim?

The SCX24 we have has the L-M-H throttle trim that makes it quick and easy to change the max throttle.

According to the transmitter manual, there's an easy knob to adjust maximum throttle for the Ascender.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/ECX13008-Manual-EN.pdf
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #23

Default Good Crawler for 4 Year Old?

I got back into RC last May with a TRX4 Bronco and my 3 year old at the time daughter, instantly liked it. I ended up getting her a TRX4 sport with Traxx last September as the hobby shop had 20% off so she could go crawling with me. As others said the Sport is less complex and ultimately slower than the 2 speed but she doesnt seem to mind plus I dont have to keep spares for too different brands. I put on some super swampers and replaced the servo, esc (1080), and motor (HH 21t) along with a new body and she had no issues with it. She is pretty particular, like me, so she doesnt like crashing or getting it too dirty. I wouldnt get them something that you wouldnt want in case they lose interest and you are stuck with it.

Like anything else with kids, you just need to work with them and have patience. Teaching her that she can turn and move at the same time and to just pay attention has been the biggest hurdle. We dont do anything too crazy driving wise since we are normally just walking a trail but its fun seeing her drive it. I am hoping she still has interest in doing it this summer although she has taken a real liking to my SMT10 and loves her some Digger.

Last edited by tmk9883; 02-27-2020 at 09:37 AM.
tmk9883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #24
JMo

Personally speaking, I would come at it from the opposite direction - if your young son already has the patience and dexterity to drive an RC crawler and enjoys it, then set a price/budget you're prepared to pay and ask him what HE wants...

Most kids (and let's face it, most adults too) buy what they like the look of as a priority - while one platform might perform slightly better than another, if the vehicle doesn't look cool to them, they are not going to enjoy it in the same way.

Ultimately you can always change the body at some point if required/desired, but I would start on a far more superficial basis: show him a few photos of the options at your budget, and let him choose?
JMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

ok the pink ford made me go "DAWWW" out loud. adorable! (there is also a guy down the street from me who has a 2wd eddie bauer the same year, nice lift and tires)

JMo also has a good point and give the kiddo some options. maybe narrow it down so he doesn't pick a VS410 Ultra lol

Last edited by Shinchu; 02-27-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I just got to see my 2 year old nephew drive this weekend. When I first heard this I didn't believe it but sure enough he can drive, he's even got better control than his 9 year old brother and his grampa lol. He wakes up in the morning and the first thing he wants to do is drive. He's forcibly taken possession of my brother in laws 1/25 Ambush.

He just needed some direction, he was told to drive slow and he actually does. Now we just need to work on steering, he tends to just setup the truck where he wants it so he doesn't need to steer. He also made the remark that " when you steer thats when you get into trouble" lol
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Good Crawler for 4 Year Old? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the TH a good basher for a 10 year old? generalbacardi Vaterra Twin Hammers 7 02-07-2017 03:52 PM
Crawler for 5 year old? PaulMac Newbie General 10 12-07-2015 06:53 PM
Been a good year so far Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 2 03-27-2012 10:27 AM
new year crawler badnuz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 01-12-2010 01:40 PM
Good for a 7 year olds 1st rc? quad23 Non Crawler RC's 17 12-08-2009 03:49 PM