Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Cross RC vs RC4WD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Default Cross RC vs RC4WD

I’m looking for some pro help here. I’m typically a basher but finally getting into the crawler game and need help. I’m looking for a great scale crawler and I think I narrowed It down between Cross RC SP4C or the RC4WD Gelande II kit. I’m torn on which way I should go. Please help.
dman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cross RC vs RC4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman79 View Post
I’m looking for some pro help here. I’m typically a basher but finally getting into the crawler game and need help. I’m looking for a great scale crawler and I think I narrowed It down between Cross RC SP4C or the RC4WD Gelande II kit. I’m torn on which way I should go. Please help.
I'm not a 'pro', at least where crawlers are concerned...but, 6 months ago, I was exactly where you are now (tho, I mostly came from off-road, with some bashing). Like you, I started with multiple possibilities, and finally narrowed my choices down to the RC4WD Trail Finder 2 (a slightly longer "cousin" to the Gelande II), SCX10.2, & Trail King Pro...and, then, the Axial Capra was announced.

I temporarily decided to skip my original possibilities, and went all-in on the Capra...and, I couldn't be happier. It's like a cross between a trail crawler, and a rock racer. I've been enjoying it so much that, for my first comp rig, I built a second Capra, into a Class 3 rig. Mind you, over the past 4 months, I've also been building a Trail King Pro (to become a Class 2 rig), plus I purchased the TF2 kit (for a Class 1, tho I haven't yet started building it).

Whatever you decide to get, is be willing to bet that, if you get "bitten" as most of us do, a year from now, you'll have at least 3-4 crawlers/rock racers. That being said, you might want to look into the Capra. As several others pointed out to me, for a first crawler, I made an excellent decision. Oh, yea...and...welcome to the "go slow(er) crowd".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #3

Hmmmmm there’s the scx10 III as well now.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:51 AM   #4

Rc4wd is the most scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rizoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:01 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizoto View Post
Rc4wd is the most scale.

And the GCM CMAX is chopped liver? The CMAX is offered in different configuration, including 4-wheel leaf spring suspension.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizoto View Post
Rc4wd is the most scale.

Disagree, it is just more known brand. I have a few models from cross rc including uc6 and bc8 and quality and scale is on point and way better than rc4wd, imho. I have been also looking for sp4c and there one completed for sale on ebay, guy did a great job scaling, but asking too much. I would go with cross
wermart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Cross RC makes some very scale rigs, arguably more scale than the RC4WD rigs. That said, they both have there “quirks.” RC4WD takes a pretty regular beating regarding QC on their rigs, fitment issues, etc. The Cross RC rigs, while very scale, seem to come up a bit short in the performance department based on reviews. I wouldn’t call any of these things show stoppers for either brand’s rigs. If you like the looks and general features of the rig, most everything else can be solved with patience, tuning, and upgrading.

As was mentioned above, the Axial SCX10iii is due to be released next month. It looks like they hit it out of the park with this one in terms of scale factor, performance and features. If I were planning on buying another scale rig right now, I’d definitely hold off until I could get an up close look at this new Axial rig. Seems to be a lotta bang for the buck!
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:25 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Cross RC makes some very scale rigs, arguably more scale than the RC4WD rigs. That said, they both have there “quirks.” RC4WD takes a pretty regular beating regarding QC on their rigs, fitment issues, etc. The Cross RC rigs, while very scale, seem to come up a bit short in the performance department based on reviews. I wouldn’t call any of these things show stoppers for either brand’s rigs. If you like the looks and general features of the rig, most everything else can be solved with patience, tuning, and upgrading.

As was mentioned above, the Axial SCX10iii is due to be released next month. It looks like they hit it out of the park with this one in terms of scale factor, performance and features. If I were planning on buying another scale rig right now, I’d definitely hold off until I could get an up close look at this new Axial rig. Seems to be a lotta bang for the buck!
Announced release sounds like "hit it out of the park" is just speculation.

Kind of like the old new & improved mantra. That seems to fall short then the actuality of things to come, that's new & improved.
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

"Announced release sounds like "hit it out of the park" is just speculation.

Kind of like the old new & improved mantra. That seems to fall short then the actuality of things to come, that's new & improved."

With actual test mules in the hands of some of the bigger names in our hobby, it's a bit more than speculation. SBG did a 30 minute full review of the rig. The only carry over from the past are the Wild Boar drive shafts, which have always been more than adequate up to 3S. They are also using the same, improved Losi plastics that we saw on the Capra, same links and rod-ends with stainless pivot balls, brand new 2 speed trans capability, dig capability, and what is arguably the most scale lexan body by any manufacturer to date, including over 25 molded pieces to "bring the scale". The rig is a clean sheet design from the ground up (short of the previously mentioned drive shafts). But hey, why get excited about something when you can sh-t on it.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I would argue that Traxxas's Bronco and Blazer body are just as scale minus the interior. I do like that they included the interior right down to the cage. What really annoys me is the fact there is no "roof off" build option for it. I know that I can cut it off if I want but that leaves the tops of the doors and windshield frame crappy looking. Something like their old SCX10 Jeep body like this:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

Last edited by JDM74; 03-22-2020 at 08:29 AM.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking that same thing JDM74. Already kicking around a couple ideas about how to make those cut edges look clean / factory.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've owned both and neither brands are performers but for the price they charge, the quality of the RC4WD stuff is unacceptable.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:24 AM   #13

Thanks for the opinions. After some thinking I think I’m going with the scx10 III.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman79 View Post
Thanks for the opinions. After some thinking I think I’m going with the scx10 III.
I think that’s the best, wisest choice.

Cross RC vs RC4WD - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross RC FR4 RTR with RC4WD over/under transfer case Unclelee Scale Videos! 0 10-07-2019 02:47 PM
Cross RC and the HC-6 Crldude Multi Axle Rigs 6 10-27-2018 07:47 AM
Cross-rc sg4 demon & rc4wd d90 neilsontf238 Videos! 0 02-26-2018 05:21 PM
RC4WD Beast II vs. Cross-RC Rigs Tommy R Multi Axle Rigs 6 05-19-2015 06:58 AM