Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Glue preference

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #1

Default Glue preference

Hello everyone,
I just joined this website and it is pretty awesome. I’m currently getting ready to build a Cross RC MC6. The cab on this vehicle takes an extensive amount of assembly. What do you guys prefer as the type of glue to use to assemble this part of the kit? Brand suggestions, viscosity, type, etc?
Thank you
Tima
Tima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Glue preference

Welcome to RCC!

I would recommend Bondene or plastic weld. They are actually solvents that melt the plastic and fuse it. which one you get doesnt matter much as they all melt plastic just fine. https://www.amainhobbies.com/plastru...s00002/p424867 https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/pls00003s.htm

You might also need some E6000 (or shoe goo) or super glue for the other materials like windows or metal. the solvents only work on plastics so if anything else needs glueing you need to choose something else.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply and the welcome to RCC! Glad to be here
Old 03-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The manual for the Cross RC I built was pretty good and noted whether to use ABS Cement (the solvent type) or glue (meaning actual glue) on each part of the body.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Chrome parts you want to clean the chrome off, under it you will see copper. You want to keep working until you get down to the plastic.

Plastruct makes 2 types of the ABS cement, you want the red label "Styrene & ABS Plastic Solvent cement"
The plain or original ABS cemennt is specific to their gray ABS construction shapes.

Some things to know using it. I suggest you use some scrap spouses to get a feel of how it works.

Apply some to both parts, when assembling, once joined, on the backside unseen, apply again.
First application softens a bit, it evaporates quickly
Second application once joined will migrate into the joint
Allow it to cure over night for a good bond
Using a fender as the example here:
If a part does not line up, perfect fit.
You can start at one end clue up the matching seems.
Next day close the gap, glue and clamp the first end will hold fine

Windows/ Headlight lens........... Hands down RC cockpit/canopy glue is the best practice. If it squeezes out from around the seems, like a mirror or head lens, let it cure and remove excess then, pulls right off.

This e6000 is goopy, messy and takes forever to dry and still soft flex able when cured. I've found lacks holding power, maybe good for shoes.

Congrads on the CROSS kit they are truly a nice scale kit, parts fit very well.

Do not get in a hurry the body actually takes the most time to build. However that time invested produces some spectacular results.

Enjoy !
pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #6

Thank you guys for the helpful information. Looks like I’ll be using at least two types. A solvent type as well as a more typical model glue. Getting started real soon.
Tima
Old 03-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

"typical model glue" I tried that nothing wrong with it just keeping it under control being the hurtle.
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Glue preference - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it a preference, looks, or is it actually better?? Frank211 Newbie General 10 10-30-2019 03:35 PM
Whats your glue preference Levi RC4WD Trail Finder 2 3 06-29-2017 07:24 AM
What do you guys use to glue tires other than CA glue? country_crawler Tires and Wheels 38 03-17-2015 11:10 PM
To glue or not to glue...rear tires Snipervision Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 12-24-2010 11:01 AM
Memory Foams To Glue or not to Glue? Rig Rocker Tires and Wheels 1 09-30-2009 10:45 PM