Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What are your thoughts - Father/Son Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
SRJ

Default What are your thoughts - Father/Son Build

Trying to start a build with my 10 year-old in an effort to not only have some father/son bonding time, but to be able to work through a build. I am hoping this will provide a great learning experience for the both of us.

Researched the Element Enduro Sendero, RC4WD and the Axial kits. With this in mind, I have come up with one possible build package that I could use some more experienced feedback on.

I choose to post this in the "Newbie General" section as we are really "newbies", open to suggestions, and willing to learn from more experienced folks. Essentials, upgrades, and/or must haves are welcome. I am also open to folks telling me I'm crazy and should just stick to a RTR. Here we go:

Approx. $550.00 as outlined below.

RAW BUILDERS KIT - Axial SCX10 II - $199.99

SERVO - EcoPower WP110T Cored Waterproof High Torque Metal Gear - $39.99

MOTOR - Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 540 Brushed Motor (35T) - $16.99

ESC - Hobbywing QuicRun Waterproof 1080 Brushed Crawling (2-3S) - $41.99

RADIO – SPEKTRUMRC STX3 2.4 HZ 3 Channel – $44.99

BATTERY - EcoPower "Trail" 2S 45C Hard Case LiPo (7.4V/5000mA) (2) – $75.98

CHARGER - EcoPower "Electron 44 AC" LiHV/LiPo/LiFe (2-4S/4A/50W) - $29.99

TIRES – Pro-Line Class 1 Hyrax 1.9” Rock Crawlers (4) - $59.98

WHEELS – Axial Black Rock CRC 1.9 (4) - $23.98

BODY - TBD.

Last edited by SRJ; 04-05-2020 at 11:12 AM.
SRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What are your thoughts - Father/Son Build

3S 2200mah nano-tech lipos are far cheaper from hobbyking. and will work just as well, I'd suggest or or 3. The b6 charger works very well too. That'll save ya about 30 bucks and give you better batteries.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

A rtr will get you on the trail faster and cheaper, you will however still have to get a battery/s and charger.... However I prefer Kits, and The Raw Builders kit is a great bang for the buck.

You can factor about $40-$50 for a body in there.

I agree the $14 2200 mah 3s lipos are my battery of choice. A 35t motor does not draw enough amps to worry the battery.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-co...BAlFM63UaUdBs2

You can also save about $16 by buying the 20kg Power Hd servo... $24 iirc.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-hd...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Beadlocks too....
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/axi43004.htm

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 04-05-2020 at 01:09 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #4

Hopefully your son has a bit more interest than mine we got to about step 3 of the raw builders kid before he wondered off. Either way you look like you have a very nice build lined up.
h22a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I would remove the RC4WD from your list and insert Traxxas TRX4 in it's place. The TRX4 is much more robust. The TRX4 also has a great deal of aftermarket support. The go to economical ESC/Motor combo is the HW1080 and HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 15T for about $62 total. A 3S battery will provide a bit more speed while still being smooth at slow speeds and you can never go wrong with a Hytec charger.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I think you're heading down the Correct Road.
Building a Kit may be a bit slower than an RTR, but you and your son will be far better acquainted with not only the vehicle but its potential. And because you built it, you'll be able to better solve issues as they arrive.

the Axial build Kit is a nice kit. Not many upgrades or hopup parts in it. So as things progress, and some issues arise, it will be a great teaching moment for your boy, and you, determining which solution is better. ie replace any issues with stock pieces, or upgrade that part, why it may or should be upgraded. etc.

That kit is not perfect, which IS Perfect imo. IE, you will need to understand what it goes through, to determine the best solution for improving ability, or improving durability.

Welcome to a Great Hobby to you both. Now get one of the woman, and make it a family affair. heh
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #7

I think involving your son is an excellent idea. You will quickly learn how deep his level of interest goes. One of my sons at about the same age loved being involved and the other (twins)only wanted to know when it would be done. For the one that stayed with it, he carried and honed the skills he learned forward. Now he is the go to guy when his brother needs help with anything requiring basic electr/mechanical skills.
Richr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

This is a really good idea. I built my first kit with my dad when I was about ten, which got me really into the hobby. Now, I am a complete rc addict.

So the list that you put together is a really good for an easy build the only thing I would change is the servo. Look for one that has metal gears. The 20kg power hd one suggested earlier isn't bad, servos are one those things I like to buy nice rather than buy twice or more times. I have had good luck with protek servos and savox.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #9

I 100% support building a kit with your son! My father did it with me when I was about 8 and the Tamiya Hornet was new. Decades later I got him back into it with an Axial Dingo kit. It's a great family hobby and something you can have in common for a long time.

Agreed - remove RC4WD as an option. The only good products they make are some wheels and some tires.

The SCX10 II is fine. Any reason you chose that over the Element Enduro kit? I don't have a preference - just curious. Either one would be a great build.

Everything else on your list looks good except for the batteries. Go elsewhere - HobbyKing, etc.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #10

Where are you planing on buying your motor/esc? HH motors don’t come with the leads unless you order directly from him and you’ll have to pay extra for that. Otherwise you’ll have to solder them on which means you’ll need leads, soldering iron etc. Do you know someone who can solder foe you? Same goes for the esc, you’ll have to solder on the battery connectors. Lastly the STX3 is crap. Came with my rtr Arrmas, a lot of people had issues with them so I ended up tossing each one. I am sure you can find a better option, perhaps someone can suggest one for you. Most guys run more expensive transmitters so they may not know of the STX3 issues.
nucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #11

That's cool, my dad never liked any of my hobbies but I used to help him work on his cars so I grew up to appreciate mechanical things. Buy what you can used, you can get more expensive gear for less but I probably don't have to tell you that.
FloridaST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i would love to do this with my son. but hes not quite 5. but he is coming along with "slow and steady" in mind!
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote

What are your thoughts - Father/Son Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Father and Son build of a pair of Yeti XLs Tx12No1 Axial Yeti XL 53 01-03-2016 01:48 PM
xr-10 father and son project. bert8975 Newbie General 3 03-01-2013 12:13 PM
Another Father Son Crawler build phritchey General Crawlers 0 06-06-2012 02:08 AM
Father Son Crawler Build phritchey General Crawlers 25 06-06-2012 02:02 AM
father and son project chino438 Chit Chat 5 10-29-2007 07:29 PM