Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Kids truck suggestion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Default Kids truck suggestion?

Hey all,

I’m just getting back into things. Bit of a wife letting me spend half as much as I did, but i got a trx-4 defender.

Long story short, I have a 5 yr old and I know she is going to want to drive something around at the same time.

Can you guys recommend something around $200 with batteries that I can get for her that’s tough, not super fast (max out 10-15 mph) and can run around grass, climb and play in the yard with me on trx-4?

I’m not here long enough to play in the classified section so I need to ask for advice and go shopping new.

I’m hoping to get some insight before I start calling shops.
Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Kids truck suggestion?

First, welcome to the forum. Hope you and your family are safe in this time!

At $200 I would say look at the Carisma 1/10 line of cars (Lynx is on sale for $229).

There is not a lot more at around $200 that I would recommend. At $269 I would say a Redcat Gen8. I picked up a Gen8 when it first came out just because, and it was actually a decent rig out of the box. She will be very happy, and it should get around about everywhere you do. Then there are some at home upgrades you can do. I cant say I recommend Redcat much if at all. But looking at that price range specifically, it is going to fit that bill great.

There are others, but of course you slowly work up in price etc etc... Its a slippery slope. For example the TRX4 Sport is just a bit more than that at $339, which is a fantastic rig for anyone. You could always hang tight until you view the classifieds. Or check FB pages. There are great deals there as well. Just ALWAYS use PAYPAL goods and services. Way too many scammers there. Used can leave you with a problem child as well, sometimes maintenance isn't something everyone believes in.

Sorry, I know its not a lot of help, but that is kind of the direction I would go.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #3

I hear you... it’s the #1 reason I bought the trx-4 new.

I’ll check out the carisma. Also, when the shops open tomorrow I’ll start calling a few and see if anyone has some thing they are trying to clear out.

Thank you for the heads up!

Stay healthy!!
Old 04-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Check out YouTube posts from the RCSaylors. They are a husband/wife that run rate review all kinds of RC. They have a tendency to do quite alot of vids on good vs. bad characteristics of some very wallet friendly fun. And not just trucks, but cars, boats, planes too. They seem very genuine regular non-egotistical folks that give honest opinions.
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #5

I ended up getting a redcat Gen7 pro.... it was a slippery slope

There were a number of factors involved.

1) was availability
2) simple included upgrades that I could see doing later
3) some of the keep it clean stuff
4) it seemed like parts are avalable everywhere

last and most important:

5) I called redcat to ask some questions, and left a message. (Hey its corona virus time and places are closed, I get it)

I got a phone call back about 30 mins later and the conversation started a little "im busy" but after about a minute, the gentleman became extremely nice and helpful. He walked me through the non pro, suggested some "should gets" and some "dont bothers", gave me part numbers and then suggested an online order to get free shipping vs ordering direct through him.

While I was trying to find the battery he suggested, I sent a chat message trying to clarify my pn I wrote down, and during that time I talked myself into getting the pro. It had too many upgraded stronger parts for kid abuse, and they called me back and we worked everything out with part numbers

But really, it came down to customer service on the call.

AAAAAANNNNDDDD I doubled my budget on the purchase.... ouch.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf750rider View Post
Check out YouTube posts from the RCSaylors. They are a husband/wife that run rate review all kinds of RC. They have a tendency to do quite alot of vids on good vs. bad characteristics of some very wallet friendly fun. And not just trucks, but cars, boats, planes too. They seem very genuine regular non-egotistical folks that give honest opinions.
Cool Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
I ended up getting a redcat Gen7 pro.... it was a slippery slope.
Yes it is... I think in the end, you'll be very happy with your choice.

Oh, and congrats!!!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote

Kids truck suggestion? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sales Section Change suggestion. Just a suggestion!! Oscar da Grouch Comments, Suggestions, and Help 25 12-21-2014 08:12 PM
Who thinks PTI should come out with a new truck/suggestion jetboat General Crawlers 21 07-21-2007 05:58 PM