Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Why isn't Nitro an option on RC Crawlers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Why isn't Nitro an option on RC Crawlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Nobody sells a nitro crawler because it wouldn't sell well. They are loud and lack the torque and low speed control needed on a crawler.

But people have been them many times. One of the magazines even built one back in the day. I think it was RCCA, but I'm not positive.

What about a crawler that has a nitro engine powering a generator to power the electric motor?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nFXpQ5hCerg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFXp...ture=emb_title

This one has a 4 stroke engine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bakq5d81ECU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakq5d81ECU

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3T2cHr5i3DU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T2cHr5i3DU

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dZJy9U4Mf-0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZJy9U4Mf-0

Apparently embed isn't working at the moment for me.

Axial made nitro engines before the made crawlers. They just never combined the two.

https://www.rccaraction.com/axial-ja...-2-4ghz-radio/
Thanks so much for the response Jato! I think your nitro engine to generator to electric engine is a sick idea. Is it possible to fit that all in? In your opinion, what size rig would best accommodate a solution like that?
kurpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurpis View Post
Maybe Its because Im a newbie, but I think its really cool!!!!

It would be cool at first. BUT, the cool factor would wear off very quickly and it would become a pain in the A** for all the reasons mentioned above. Another minus that occurred to me is runtime. There is no way you could carry enough fuel to get a similar runtime as a battery.

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-01-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

This guy!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:47 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
This guy!
I'm a newbie brother. That means I think RC crawling is really cool, but dont know what I'm doing. I came to the proper section for beginners to ask what some might consider to be stupid questions. And then members with more experience are supposed to fill me in. Commenting "This guy!" isn't all that helpful. I'm a newbie so obviously I'm "this guy". Why don't you be "the man" and drop some knowledge. It will be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm a newbie brother. That means I think RC crawling is really cool, but dont know what I'm doing. I came to the proper section for beginners to ask what some might consider to be stupid questions. And then members with more experience are supposed to fill me in. Commenting "This guy!" isn't all that helpful. I'm a newbie so obviously I'm "this guy". Why don't you be "the man" and drop some knowledge. It will be appreciated.
Sometimes you do have to break the mold of conventional wisdom, and there are enough of us long-time RCers/crawler to act like a wet blanket. There are a number of engineering challenges that you'll have to hurdle to get something like this to work, but if you have the gumption, have a crack at it.

I will add a few more of those conventional words of wisdom...
• If you run this in a group of crawlers, you'll be very popular at first, then you'll be very alone. Listening to to the drone of a nitro up close (along with the exhaust) is very unpleasant.
• New guy or not, you are an ambassador to the hobby. If you do something stupid or annoying, people are going to think everyone in the hobby is that way. In both a group setting and solo I have seen people get upset and call the authorities because we/I were being a nuisance with our near-silent rigs. Now, imagine how pissed those same people will be with nitro power.
• Innovation does not push itself. If you have an idea, pull the thread, see where it goes. If nothing else, you gain some experience.
• Last one.... You'll find people on this site to be, for the most part, a happy-go-lucky group of RCers. But, people will make off-hand comments that will make your eye twitch, like "this guy". My best advise, let it go, and don't take it personal. The culture of RCC has changed A LOT. Back when I first got on to this forum, you did not post up unless you were ready to get punched in the face 27 times. There were a good number of trolls that just looked for hapless targets, and lots of minions that would pile on. Hopefully, we'll never go back to that, it made being a new kid rough, and certainly pushed good people away from this niche of the hobby.

And, to the "That guy" guy...
The new kids are the life blood of our hobby, without "That guy", and many like him (or her), our hobby dries up. We need to foster the new guys, hopefully impart some knowledge of both the technical and etiquette sides hobby. You don't have to have to don the pom-poms and short shirt, and cheer them on, but try not to squash them either. Remember, today's new kid is tomorrow's expert.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:31 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ill keep my smart arse coments to my self this one time and just ask a more pressing question

with all the benifits of the electric motor over gas why arent our 1:1 crawlers running electric motors

come on holmes

Last edited by ferp420; 05-02-2020 at 07:38 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
ill keep my smart arse coments to my self this one time and just ask a more pressing question

with all the benifits of the electric motor over gas why arent our 1:1 crawlers running electric motors

come on holmes
Because battery technology doesn't scale well.
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Sometimes you do have to break the mold of conventional wisdom, and there are enough of us long-time RCers/crawler to act like a wet blanket. There are a number of engineering challenges that you'll have to hurdle to get something like this to work, but if you have the gumption, have a crack at it.

• If you run this in a group of crawlers, you'll be very popular at first, then you'll be very alone. Listening to to the drone of a nitro up close (along with the exhaust) is very unpleasant.
• New guy or not, you are an ambassador to the hobby. If you do something stupid or annoying, people are going to think everyone in the hobby is that way. In both a group setting and solo I have seen people get upset and call the authorities because we/I were being a nuisance with our near-silent rigs. Now, imagine how pissed those same people will be with nitro power.
• Innovation does not push itself. If you have an idea, pull the thread, see where it goes. If nothing else, you gain some experience.
• Last one.... You'll find people on this site to be, for the most part, a happy-go-lucky group of RCers. But, people will make off-hand comments that will make your eye twitch, like "this guy". My best advise, let it go, and don't take it personal. The culture of RCC has changed A LOT. Back when I first got on to this forum, you did not post up unless you were ready to get punched in the face 27 times. There were a good number of trolls that just looked for hapless targets, and lots of minions that would pile on. Hopefully, we'll never go back to that, it made being a new kid rough, and certainly pushed good people away from this niche of the hobby.

The new kids are the life blood of our hobby, without "That guy", and many like him (or her), our hobby dries up. We need to foster the new guys, hopefully impart some knowledge of both the technical and etiquette sides hobby. You don't have to have to don the pom-poms and short shirt, and cheer them on, but try not to squash them either. Remember, today's new kid is tomorrow's expert.
Thank you for the wise words and advice. Just so you know, I wasn't offended by the "this guy" comment. I just thought it was inappropriate considering that I came to the proper section for such a question. I'm not afraid to battle it out with people, but I have no leg to stand on being a newbie and would never disrespect the community by being fake. I may ask a few beginner questions, but I would never ever be a bad ambassador of the hobby. I wouldn't run nitro with people around and may not run it all. I just was curious as nitro and gas seems to be coupled with other types of RC's. I'm humble and appreciate all the help.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:

come on holmes
That's a good point. If the smart ass comments you are holding off were going to be directed at me, launch away so I know where I'm being a clown. I can handle it. :-)
Old 05-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's a good point. If the smart ass comments you are holding off were going to be directed at me, launch away so I know where I'm being a clown. I can handle it. :-)
thats good cause sometimes smartass comments dont come off as intended

and i was shooting for more smart than arse
but since you can take it you are coming off as a little thin in the skin
Old 05-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
thats good cause sometimes smartass comments dont come off as intended

and i was shooting for more smart than arse
but since you can take it you are coming off as a little thin in the skin
I had to say something. How should it have been worded? I'm not opposed to thicker skinned options so long as I get to respond. Appreciate any advice you have on the subject.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:52 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

Take it as y'all please, but after reading over a few threads of his and the questions asked. I came to my opinion of "This guy" i know new people are good for this forum, and this hobby. The search function in this forum is garbage, but google has a neat feature: blah blah (searchword) blablahblah site: rccrawler.com the nitro inquiry has been asked. Try that search function is what i should have said! Maybe our newbie section needs a refresher with pictures, and nomenclature, functions of certain components. Maybe the "Nitro Crawler" should become a sticky in the new people's section with links to many opinions. Chainlink
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #33

Quote:

come on holmes
In RC we like quiet vehicles for trail runs. In the 1:1 world, I have never heard of a person that likes watching silent races and vehicle competitions. And I, for one, enjoy the exhaust note of cars, trucks and motorcycles. I have zero desire to own an electric 1:1. They are absolutely soulless vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Take it as y'all please, but after reading over a few threads of his and the questions asked. I came to my opinion of "This guy" i know new people are good for this forum, and this hobby. The search function in this forum is garbage, but google has a neat feature: blah blah (searchword) blablahblah site: rccrawler.com the nitro inquiry has been asked. Try that search function is what i should have said! Maybe our newbie section needs a refresher with pictures, and nomenclature, functions of certain components. Maybe the "Nitro Crawler" should become a sticky in the new people's section with links to many opinions. Chainlink
This guy!

There isn't enough interest in nitro crawlers to warrant a sticky thread. Absolutely nothing wrong with this thread or the questions he's asking.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 05-05-2020 at 07:28 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:37 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
In RC we like quiet vehicles for trail runs. In the 1:1 world, I have never heard of a person that likes watching silent races and vehicle competitions. And I, for one, enjoy the exhaust note of cars, trucks and motorcycles. I have zero desire to own an electric 1:1. They are absolutely soulless vehicles.

i go to bed almost every night listening to wheelers and rockbouncers and 2 strokes dirtbikes living inside a ohv park its kinda unavoidable and i love it hering the buggies bounce off the rev limiter at 3am is a good thing mostly from spooners so i understand but i would give that up if it ment better performance and fewer broken parts

i think a full size wheeler would benifit from the same things that rc crawlers do by being electric more torque and better low end control

Last edited by ferp420; 05-05-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #35

Quote:
i go to bed almost every night listening to wheelers and rockbouncers and 2 strokes dirtbikes living inside a ohv park its kinda unavoidable and i love it hering the buggies bounce off the rev limiter at 3am is a good thing mostly from spooners so i understand but i would give that up if it ment better performance and fewer broken parts

i think a full size wheeler would benifit from the same things that rc crawlers do by being electric more torque and better low end control
Sounds like living in Heaven! I'd be there every weekend with a quad instead of RC's if I had access to an OHV park.

Because electric motors have more low-end torque I would think, theoretically, there's the potential for more broken parts. The extra control given by this instant torque would be better for crawling performance though so I see what you're saying.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler, crawling, gas, newbie, nitro

Why isn't Nitro an option on RC Crawlers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Underground Crawlers Fastback Color Option C*H*U*D Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 07-28-2010 01:40 PM
Nitro crawlers, anyone? Asa Chit Chat 12 09-17-2007 06:26 PM
Nitro Crawlers? fastkid Chit Chat 98 09-11-2006 04:51 PM
Here's a couple nitro crawlers for ya... BigJay Chit Chat 5 07-12-2006 04:41 PM