Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie wants to know What’s Good!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Newbie wants to know What’s Good!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
There aren't very many 'Tube videos on the subject of lipo batteries in general and disposal specifically...can't be more than a few thousand. Proceed with caution, you'll read as much (if not more) disinformation than useful information!

I found this very informative when I was searching for knowledge. BUT...I just read through it again to make sure it hadn't become outdated...when it was written the salt water discharge method was still the flavor of the day, and I believe most of us now discount it as useless, so disregard that part!

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

I can speak from firsthand knowledge that not storage charging batteries shortens their usable life significantly, no matter how much of a PIA it can be sometimes.

I currently have a Hitec X1 MF, an Onyx 235 and a Venom Pro Duo charger. The Pro Duo is nice because it's basically two completely independent chargers in one, but the Hitec remains my favorite. It's fast, balance charges perfectly and storage charges quickly as well. Storage charging sounds complicated when you're told you have to either charge or discharge a battery to 3.8v to store it, but the charger is smart enough to read the charge level of the battery you just connected and know whether it needs to charge or discharge all by itself and stop at the right level. The Onyx is ok but it has no storage feature.
What batteries are your favorites?
kurpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurpis View Post
What other RTRs are good for newbies?
You really can't go wrong with any of the big brands. Axial scx10.2, Redcat Gen 8, Element enduro, Traxxas trx4. They're all pretty comparable with similar electronics. Trx4 is undoubtedly the most durable out of the box (chassis, not electronics).
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
You really can't go wrong with any of the big brands. Axial scx10.2, Redcat Gen 8, Element enduro, Traxxas trx4. They're all pretty comparable with similar electronics. Trx4 is undoubtedly the most durable out of the box (chassis, not electronics).
What rig do you have?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What rig do you have?
I currently have a gen8 & an ssd trail king. I had an scx10.2, but sold it. It wasn't for me. I prefer forward mounted motors. Also, while the scx10.2 is an overall good truck, I don't feel that the value was there vs the price. In other words, I don't feel the truck was worth the $410 that I paid. The gen8 on the other hand, is a great value. You can get them now for $270. Out of the box they are about as durable as the scx10.2 & as capable as the trx4. Upgrade to the Axe axle housings, flat skid & HD portal gears/axles & you have a pretty stout, very capable truck. With those upgrades, you're just over $300 all in. A lot of value there.
The ssd trail king is on another level. Not available as an rtr & definitely very high quality. It's what the scx10.2 should've been. I just got finished building it so I don't have any feedback on the performance, but those who have one love it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I currently have a gen8 & an ssd trail king. I had an scx10.2, but sold it. It wasn't for me. I prefer forward mounted motors. Also, while the scx10.2 is an overall good truck, I don't feel that the value was there vs the price. In other words, I don't feel the truck was worth the $410 that I paid. The gen8 on the other hand, is a great value. You can get them now for $270. Out of the box they are about as durable as the scx10.2 & as capable as the trx4. Upgrade to the Axe axle housings, flat skid & HD portal gears/axles & you have a pretty stout, very capable truck. With those upgrades, you're just over $300 all in. A lot of value there.
The ssd trail king is on another level. Not available as an rtr & definitely very high quality. It's what the scx10.2 should've been. I just got finished building it so I don't have any feedback on the performance, but those who have one love it.

Yep love mine only other thing I did was a second body I picked up a used Axe body and did a custom paint job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
White Bear Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Old 05-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

Old 05-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

Old 05-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Old 05-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:

What do you think of the Axe?
Old 05-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Bear Smith View Post
Yep love mine only other thing I did was a second body I picked up a used Axe body and did a custom paint job

That body is awesome!!!! Where do you pick up something like that?
Old 05-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What do you think of the Axe?
I think it's the most well-equipped rtr out there right now. New foams is just about all it needs. The electronics are excellent & it has all the upgraded parts.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I think it's the most well-equipped rtr out there right now. New foams is just about all it needs. The electronics are excellent & it has all the upgraded parts.

Do you know if its truly waterproof?
Old 05-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Do you know if its truly waterproof?

Well i have had mine under water no problems I just spray my stuff down with electronics spray afterwards making sure to get all switches good and put electronics grease on all connections

Old 05-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Well i have had mine under water no problems I just spray my stuff down with electronics spray afterwards making sure to get all switches good and put electronics grease on all connections

You had it underwater right out of the box? That's awesome.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:55 AM   #56
Rock Stacker

Ive had mine underwater a couple of times now. Its a great truck.
triptherip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by triptherip View Post
Ive had mine underwater a couple of times now. Its a great truck.
Did you just get it wet or were you completely submerged? Its so cool that you dont have to worry about water.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:59 AM   #58
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Did you just get it wet or were you completely submerged? Its so cool that you dont have to worry about water.

No I had water up to the windows like I said just to take the proper steps afterwards like drying everything out and lubricants for all bearings and you can get a spray for the electronics that helps dry and lubricant them that can work even with the ones that are not said to be waterproof that’s why guys can hose their trucks down

Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #59
Rock Stacker

Quote:
No I had water up to the windows like I said just to take the proper steps afterwards like drying everything out and lubricants for all bearings and you can get a spray for the electronics that helps dry and lubricant them that can work even with the ones that are not said to be waterproof that’s why guys can hose their trucks down

Thanks for sharing the info and tips. Have you had any bad experiences with water with other rigs?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Not any hobby grade ones only the toys

Tags
crawler, crawler parts, newbie, rc crawling, scale

Newbie wants to know What’s Good!!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie what is a good 2.2 crawler hijakdgtr Newbie General 6 07-09-2013 02:33 AM
Good newbie thread for electronics? lak2004 Newbie General 4 09-24-2010 06:41 PM
Did newbie get a good deal CaRcCrawler909 Newbie General 6 08-11-2010 10:06 AM
Is this Jugg a Good Start? (newbie) Brandon General Crawlers 8 02-23-2005 11:56 AM