Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #1

Default WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit?

WWYD?

So I’ve been out of the RC game for quite some time now, and want to get back into it. I’m in the market for a TRX-4, and would like to assemble a kit. I’m debating between the sport kit and the chassis kit. The only thing I have are tools and a Radio (Fly Sky FS-GT3B).

I’ve priced out a TRX-4 Sport Kit, with ESC, Motor and servo that I want. And it’s a little cheaper than a Traxxas Chassis Kit.

I leaning more towards the Sport Kit because I wouldn’t need to upgrade much. I’d already buy good components. However I wouldn’t mind getting started with what Traxxas has in the Chassis Kit. Also I’m indifferent about the locking/unlocking diffs.

So what would you do? Any thoughts?
theace18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2020, 06:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit?

Sounds like you have already decided a kit. I would only go with an RTR if you simply want to get it and drive it right now.

One way you wait a few days to build and drive, the other way you buy it, charge it, and drive it. If you are not too impatient I would just get the kit. You know you'll grease it and assemble it properly as well as have a better idea what you need to do to fix it when that time comes.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #3

Welcome back!

I love the remote locking diffs on the TRX-4. You can unlock them for an added challenge. You'd think the TRX-4 wouldn't climb anything with unlocked diffs, but that's not the case. It does climb things with open diffs and it will surprise you. Locking only one diff can also sort of act like a diff and help tighten your turning radius. I much prefer playing with remote locking diffs over the 2-speed.

It all comes down to if you want 2-speed and remote diffs. If so get the chassis. If you want simple and more performance, which comes as a result of not having the additional parts and servos, then get the Sport kit.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit?

My thoughts and I’m a serious newb

I finally received my Txr4 sport rtr on Friday.

Absolute blast.

That being said, if I did it over again I would go with the build kit.

For the fact that you’ll have hands on knowledge of your vehicle because you assembled it.

If/when you need to tear into something, the task won’t be daunting.

Reason I say this is that my transmission’s outputs are not aligned. The holes for the axles are off 90 degrees. I’ve had a clicking noise in the tranny since first outing and I’ve learned from here that the output alignment is the cause.

So if I had built it, tearing it down and redoing it correctly wouldn’t be an issue. I’m already familiar with the process.

Since this is my first RC and RTR, not so much.

Plus I plan on replacing a lot anyways.

ETA:

My mistake. I thought you were asking between build kit and rtr. Sorry

Last edited by Benp; 05-26-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post

That being said, if I did it over again I would go with the build kit.
When you say you’d build the kit, you mean the TRX-4 Sport Kit. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #6

Judging by the comments, I don't think people are reading your post properly. It seems like they are comparing the TRX-4 assembly kit to the Sport RTR rather than the assembly kit to the Sport kit.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Judging by the comments, I don't think people are reading your post properly. It seems like they are comparing the TRX-4 assembly kit to the Sport RTR rather than the assembly kit to the Sport kit.

Correct. I’m trying to decide between the Sport Kit and the Chassis Kit.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The electronics that come with the chassis kit are mediocre at best. The servos, both micro and steering, are not exactly reliable. So figure on replacing those soon if you get the chassis kit.

If you dont desire the 2 speed or diff locks just get the sport kit. Then your not paying for electronics your going to end up replacing anyways .
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Welcome back to RCC!
I'm with Jato, I love the lockable diffs and you would be amazed at how far you can drive the TRX4 with open diffs before needing to lockup. Like others have said the Traxxas electronics are not the best, specifically the XL5 ESC and steering servo. I have 5 TRX4s now one Sport which I converted to 2 speed trans and lockable diffs because I missed those features. In all those trucks I am running the stock TRX4 radio and all the shift servos without issue. All five have either CC Mamba X or HW 1080 ESCs with an assortment of Holmes Hobbies motors. To be fair, the stock Titan 550 21T motor works very well with the HW1080 ESC.

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-26-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I love the remote locking diffs on the TRX-4. You can unlock them for an added challenge. You'd think the TRX-4 wouldn't climb anything with unlocked diffs, but that's not the case. .
Absolutely agree. I have a blast trying to pick a line and try it with diffs open. It amazes me sometimes how well it climbs with open diffs. Plus a few places in my backyard course I could not climb if I wasn't able to open the rear diff and let the fronts pull me around. Again, lots of fun and a nice challenge.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Not to hijack this thread but am I missing something here? For $400 you can get a chassis kit with 2 spd, locking diffs, radio, electronics etc. For $70 more you can get the Bronco RTR and you basically get the exact same thing as the chassis kit (already built) and all the Bronco body and cosmetic parts ($140 worth to be exact https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8010X ). Seem unless you REALLY want to build the chassis on your own, the actual RTR Bronco is a much better value overall. Heck, you could sell the brand new body or have a second one if you want.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Not to hijack this thread but am I missing something here? For $400 you can get a chassis kit with 2 spd, locking diffs, radio, electronics etc. For $70 more you can get the Bronco RTR and you basically get the exact same thing as the chassis kit (already built) and all the Bronco body and cosmetic parts ($140 worth to be exact https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8010X ). Seem unless you REALLY want to build the chassis on your own, the actual RTR Bronco is a much better value overall. Heck, you could sell the brand new body or have a second one if you want.

I would not disagree with you but some people simply prefer to build rather than buy an RTR. Different strokes as they say!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I would not disagree with you but some people simply prefer to build rather than buy an RTR. Different strokes as they say!
No doubt. I enjoy building too (as long as I have something else to fly/drive in the meantime ). Just seems the fine folks at Traxxas should reduce the costs of the kits/chassis kits. LOL. Heck, I just notice the G500 is the same price as the chassis kit.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post

Yeah I’m having that debate with myself. I really want to build a kit, but I can’t see paying close to $100 just to build my own kit. Especially since Traxxas doesn’t add better parts in their kits, like every other manufacturer does.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #15

So now my question is: what’s the difference between the TRX-4 Bronco and the Blazer? Just the body? Why is it $50 more? Licensing?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #16
RCC Addict

You are correct the only difference between the Bronco and Blazer is the body. Why the Blazer is more expensive may have something to do with licensing fees or the 2 tone paint but that is purely speculation. Only Traxxas knows for sure why.

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-27-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #17
Gold Star Baby!

The blazer should be $30 more, $489 vs $459, unless the bronco is cheaper than $459 somewhere.

I’m assuming the reason for the price difference is related to paint labor. The blazer has a painted two tone body with clear windows in the back where as the bronco is just three clear windows up front and sprayed entirely black.

Similar pricing happens with the TRX6 on the white and silver models since those are technically two tone paint jobs with the fenders being black.

As far as the kit, I think you get a metal servo horn in the kit ($6). But yeah otherwise it’s the same parts.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
The blazer should be $30 more, $489 vs $459, unless the bronco is cheaper than $459 somewhere.

I’m assuming the reason for the price difference is related to paint labor. The blazer has a painted two tone body with clear windows in the back where as the bronco is just three clear windows up front and sprayed entirely black.

Similar pricing happens with the TRX6 on the white and silver models since those are technically two tone paint jobs with the fenders being black.

As far as the kit, I think you get a metal servo horn in the kit ($6). But yeah otherwise it’s the same parts.

Interesting observation. Good to know. Definately going to weigh my options carefully. Perhaps if I’m hell bent on assembling an RC, I’ll either get a Sport Kit, or maybe a different type of crawler.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theace18 View Post
So now my question is: what’s the difference between the TRX-4 Bronco and the Blazer? Just the body? Why is it $50 more? Licensing?

I was just thinking the same thing today. Possibly a combination of the paint, licensing and the wheels may be a little more complicated on the manufacturing side. Just a guess on all though.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theace18 View Post
When you say you’d build the kit, you mean the TRX-4 Sport Kit. Right?

Again. My mistake for reading that wrong.

Yes. For me I would build the sport kit vs getting the sport rtr.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote

WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit LED lighting module and Hobbywing 1080 ESC ChrisSandstorm Traxxas TRX-4 7 04-30-2020 10:20 PM
Axial Capra vs Traxxas TRX-4 Sport kit Stomp General Crawlers 27 10-31-2019 08:27 PM
TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question redpeppers Newbie General 13 09-15-2019 06:00 PM