Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie wants to know What’s Good!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Arrow Newbie wants to know What’s Good!!!!!

For newbies like me, the process of learning all the different rigs, sizes, parts, tools, features, etc is kind of overwhelming. I’ve read posts, posted myself and talked with many of you. I must say that I’m very impressed w/ your RC opinions & I can’t believe that so many of you would take the time to help me.

My humble request is for all of you to let me (and other newbies) know your current opinion on what’s generally good in the world of RC Crawling.

It could be a brand, a youtube channel, a material, a technique, an unwritten rule, an article, etc. If you think it’s good for me to know, don’t hold back. Information, pics, opinions and more would all be incredible. Even if someone else has posted about it, still give your take.

I really think these replies will be valued more than you realize.

Thanks!!!
kurpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Newbie wants to know What’s Good!!!!!

Ok, start with these (in order):

Holmes Hobbies and RPP Hobby

Harley Designs and Scale Builder's Guild

Lexan

Learn to solder and braze well

Balance and storage charge Lipo batteries always

No articles.

Should be a good start!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

in order:

AMAIN hobby and RPP hobby, if you can't support your local hobby shop. Dlux fab if your are interested in comp or extreme durability

Scale builders Guild, RC review, Harley Designs, HemiStorm rc

Lexan body, carbon fiber for sevo mounts and chassis, stainless steel or aluminum or titanium for links, if you're really crafty then abs sheets for hardbodies

Get good a painting, get good at soldering, get used to using a dremel tool

Quality of tools matter (I run hudy allen wrenches, others will suggest mip. But, don't get harbor freight they don't last long in this hobby, I tried them on my first build and the bit the dust half way though assembly.), Axial's plastic links suck, rtr electronics don't last long, be careful with lipos (1. Don't run them too low, 2. Don't let them get too inflated, or they can explode and catch fire.)

no articles
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:28 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Ok, start with these (in order):

Holmes Hobbies and RPP Hobby

Harley Designs and Scale Builder's Guild

Lexan

Learn to solder and braze well

Balance and storage charge Lipo batteries always

No articles.

Should be a good start!
HOLY SHIT! Awesome reply. I've didn't know any of those things and now they are on my radar. Thanks man!!!!
Old 05-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
in order:

AMAIN hobby and RPP hobby, if you can't support your local hobby shop. Dlux fab if your are interested in comp or extreme durability

Lexan body, carbon fiber for sevo mounts and chassis, stainless steel or aluminum or titanium for links, if you're really crafty then abs sheets for hardbodies

Quality of tools matter (I run hudy allen wrenches, others will suggest mip. But, don't get harbor freight they don't last long in this hobby, I tried them on my first build and the bit the dust half way though assembly.), Axial's plastic links suck, rtr electronics don't last long, be careful with lipos (1. Don't run them too low, 2. Don't let them get too inflated, or they can explode and catch fire.)

no articles
Wow! Really good stuff. Whats extreme durability all about?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurpis View Post
Wow! Really good stuff. Whats extreme durability all about?

Simple answer to that question is certain offshoots of our require parts that are truly bombproof, for example ultra4rc (aka rock racing or u4) or rock bouncing or comp crawlers. Other people run dlux in normal crawlers so that they will never brake certain parts (axleshafts, links, shocks,...). u4 rigs run really high power brushless and have a bad habit of breaking axle shafts and axle housings. comp crawlers tend to break stuff when they fall, alot of great lines happen to be on the sides of cliffs.

Another really good company that makes great parts is supershafty.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
in order:

no articles
I 110% agree. Buy once, cry once. Especially when dealing with small parts.

Lots of great Youtube videos in regards to RC Tools reviews.

I am brand new to RC Crawling and went with Vanquish hex drivers, Protek Tru Torq SL Nutdrivers , and MIP 1/4' power hex drivers. Cheap...no, but they will be my only sets.

Speaking of youtube channels, Holmes Hobbies is fantastic. I learned a lot regarding the motor / esc minutia for crawlers.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The more you get into rc, you more you'll find it mimic the real world.

The line you hear at ANY Race Track that is quite apropos is "How Fast do you want to Spend?" lol

If the price is cheap, the product is probably cheap.

Don't confuse Cheap with Inexpensive. Most Crap is Cheap, but some things are just Inexpensive.

Like the real world, a little research is good for the melon, the wallet so you don't have to buy 2 or 3 times, and the quality of what is GOOD while being inexpensive and what is just Cheap will become readily self-apparent.

For Instance. in 2008, Red Cat was just Cheap. Today, they are far more in the Inexpensive category as their quality and products have improved much in the last decade imho.

Last edited by Timmahh; 05-09-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Don't waste your time on Fakebook! I have seen more mis-information and just flat out intentional wrong info on the various crawler groups.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:07 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Simple answer to that question is certain offshoots of our require parts that are truly bombproof, for example ultra4rc (aka rock racing or u4) or rock bouncing or comp crawlers. Other people run dlux in normal crawlers so that they will never brake certain parts (axleshafts, links, shocks,...). u4 rigs run really high power brushless and have a bad habit of breaking axle shafts and axle housings. comp crawlers tend to break stuff when they fall, alot of great lines happen to be on the sides of cliffs.

Another really good company that makes great parts is supershafty.
Thanks man!
Old 05-11-2020, 12:09 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
I 110% agree. Buy once, cry once. Especially when dealing with small parts.

Lots of great Youtube videos in regards to RC Tools reviews.

I am brand new to RC Crawling and went with Vanquish hex drivers, Protek Tru Torq SL Nutdrivers , and MIP 1/4' power hex drivers. Cheap...no, but they will be my only sets.

Speaking of youtube channels, Holmes Hobbies is fantastic. I learned a lot regarding the motor / esc minutia for crawlers.
How did you know what high brands to go with as a newbie?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:13 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
The more you get into rc, you more you'll find it mimic the real world.

The line you hear at ANY Race Track that is quite apropos is "How Fast do you want to Spend?" lol

If the price is cheap, the product is probably cheap.

Don't confuse Cheap with Inexpensive. Most Crap is Cheap, but some things are just Inexpensive.

Like the real world, a little research is good for the melon, the wallet so you don't have to buy 2 or 3 times, and the quality of what is GOOD while being inexpensive and what is just Cheap will become readily self-apparent.

For Instance. in 2008, Red Cat was just Cheap. Today, they are far more in the Inexpensive category as their quality and products have improved much in the last decade imho.
Can you name some other good inexpensive RC brands that I can rely on?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:16 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Don't waste your time on Fakebook! I have seen more mis-information and just flat out intentional wrong info on the various crawler groups.
No problem with that. I've NEVER been on Facebook nor have I ever had an account. What else do I need to avoid or lookout for?
Old 05-11-2020, 01:18 AM   #14

Just bye the best you can afford it's going to break at some point. RTR 90% of manufacturers put the cheapest electronics they can get away with also a lot of stuff is made in China anyway some good some real bad. Bye a kit and build it when it goes wrong you have more knowledge of what to do. YouTube don't forget RCSparks. And Kevin Talbot he tells it like it is good or bad and is slightly mad. In closing work out your budget and double it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Alec4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:47 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec4now View Post
Just bye the best you can afford it's going to break at some point. RTR 90% of manufacturers put the cheapest electronics they can get away with also a lot of stuff is made in China anyway some good some real bad. Bye a kit and build it when it goes wrong you have more knowledge of what to do. YouTube don't forget RCSparks. And Kevin Talbot he tells it like it is good or bad and is slightly mad. In closing work out your budget and double it.

This is good info. Anything can be made better. But starting with a decent platform is a smart choice.
If you have 300.00 there are a few rtr rigs that will do ok out of the gate. The Redcat Gen 7s have gotten better since they were released. the Gen 8 unit is better yet from what I can tell.
The Axial Kits/RTRs are pretty good starting rigs, but you'll need around 400 to get going after at ew batteries and a spare set of rims/tires. or at least tires and foams.

Find something that is close to the pricepoint you have to work with, remember you will need some batteries and a compatible charger.

Maybe find a good condition used rig to save some funds, and that can go towards a good charger and a few 2s/3s lipo battery packs.

As far as ranks Axial and Redcat are the two I am most familiar with at this point. Ive been out of the crawler scene for a bit more than 8 years.
Redcat was only dong 1/5 scale gassers at that time. But the Axial SCX10 kit was pretty new, and Hot, and pretty capable even as an rtr.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec4now View Post

"Work out a budget and double it". The story of my life. Haha
Old 05-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
This is good info. Anything can be made better. But starting with a decent platform is a smart choice.
If you have 300.00 there are a few rtr rigs that will do ok out of the gate. The Redcat Gen 7s have gotten better since they were released. the Gen 8 unit is better yet from what I can tell.
The Axial Kits/RTRs are pretty good starting rigs, but you'll need around 400 to get going after at ew batteries and a spare set of rims/tires. or at least tires and foams.

Find something that is close to the pricepoint you have to work with, remember you will need some batteries and a compatible charger.

Maybe find a good condition used rig to save some funds, and that can go towards a good charger and a few 2s/3s lipo battery packs.

As far as ranks Axial and Redcat are the two I am most familiar with at this point. Ive been out of the crawler scene for a bit more than 8 years.
Redcat was only dong 1/5 scale gassers at that time. But the Axial SCX10 kit was pretty new, and Hot, and pretty capable even as an rtr.
What makes a charger good? What specific features are absolutely necessary or highly desired?
Old 05-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

MIP for tools (hex wrenches and nut drivers), nothing worse than stripping things due to bad tools which usually have a much looser fit.

I think Hitec makes good chargers. You'll need it to balance and storage charge lipo's, pretty much all should. Some extras bonuses might include to be able to charge some other battery types like Li-FE, LiIon and LIHV batteries, some radios use small Li-FE batteries and LIHV is a newer style of Lipo that uses slightly higher voltage per cell. Another bonus might be having a DC input so it can be used with a car battery when you're out in the wilderness. Consider if you want to charge more than one battery at a time too, thats another bonus.
The Hitec RDX1 seems like a nice starter charger, I like mine. I also have their X2 charger which I primarily use.

I might have left something out.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-11-2020 at 02:43 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #19

I've recently got back into RC and just built an Associated B74 to go off road carpet racing at a nice track about 50 miles away in Cocoa Beach, FL. Anyway, I don't want to run the thing outside so now I'm getting into trail trucks. There's a small but vibrant crawler scene in my town (Daytona Beach) that I might get involved with.

Anyway, get quality equipment, buy used if you have to but don't cheap out. Price is usually a good indicator of quality in this hobby in my opinion. Get a good soldering station like a Hakko, good tools like MIP, these are things you will use often and you don't want to struggle when trying to do something.
FloridaST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
MIP for tools (hex wrenches and nut drivers), nothing worse than stripping things due to bad tools which usually have a much looser fit.

I think Hitec makes good chargers. You'll need it to balance and storage charge lipo's, pretty much all should. Some extras bonuses might include to be able to charge some other battery types like Li-FE, LiIon and LIHV batteries, some radios use small Li-FE batteries and LIHV is a newer style of Lipo that uses slightly higher voltage per cell. Another bonus might be having a DC input so it can be used with a car battery when you're out in the wilderness. Consider if you want to charge more than one battery at a time too, thats another bonus.
The Hitec RDX1 seems like a nice starter charger, I like mine. I also have their X2 charger which I primarily use.

I might have left something out.
GREAT INFO!!!! Thank you so much. Exactly the type of answer a newbie like me needs to learn.

Tags
crawler, crawler parts, newbie, rc crawling, scale

Newbie wants to know What’s Good!!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie what is a good 2.2 crawler hijakdgtr Newbie General 6 07-09-2013 02:33 AM
Good newbie thread for electronics? lak2004 Newbie General 4 09-24-2010 06:41 PM
Did newbie get a good deal CaRcCrawler909 Newbie General 6 08-11-2010 10:06 AM
Is this Jugg a Good Start? (newbie) Brandon General Crawlers 8 02-23-2005 11:56 AM