Old 05-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #1

Default 8028 Traxxas light power supply issue

I purchased a 8028 LED power supply but I’m running a Dynamite 60
Brushed ESC. I have no place to plug into the ESC with the black wire/red
female connector. I assume that is where power would come from. Any
ideas? I mostly wanted a connection for my lights outside of the Receiver
box which I have my lights working now. I want to change from the TRX4
sport kit body to my new TRX4 Camper body and have the flex ability
to change back easily. (the previous info was sent to Traxxas with a response that to buy their ESC - not happening)

(the following is from a chat with Amain Hobbies and they couldn't help either)
The instructions from traxxas indicates this would plug into their ESC which I don't have. So it comes with a JSt female plug for that purpose, 2 black wires and red plug. there is also a single long red wire with a receiver type plug but only the middle connections is made. If you see the Traxxas trx 4 power supply picture this might make sense. If running to a 2S battery power how do I know polarity as both wires are black?

What is the best way to use this as I can't send it back? Thanks for your time.
4sport dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 8028 Traxxas light power supply issue

First, Welcome to RCC!
The 8028 power supply uses actual battery voltage for input be it 2S or 3S makes no difference. The second plug goes to any open channel on the receiver and this simply functions as an on/off switch for the 8028. What you need to do is solder in a JST connector pigtail on with the battery plug to tap into actual battery voltage to power the 8028. I do have a question on how you are powering your lights now. If I read you correctly you are currently powering your lights off of an open channel on the receiver, is that correct? If so, be advised that the receiver and all the servos run at 6v. The 8028 power supply outputs only 3v .5a so it may or may not drive your lights. If your lights only run at 6v the 8028 will likely not do you any good. A simple short servo extension cable say 6" would be long enough to get you outside the RX box and would provide the needed connector to plug into the light cable to the body and eliminate the need to open the RX box each time you change bodies.

On a side note, by a wide margin the preferred aftermarket brushed ESC for scale crawling is the Hobby Wing WP1080 in case you need to change ESC in the future.

Last edited by Inspector86; 06-06-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #3

The SBG guy (in his TRX Sport build) said that he smoked the 8028 because the polarity was backwards. I assume the JST pigtail will come with black/red leads and can only be plugged into the existing female correctly. True?
Old 05-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

That would be correct.

Red +
Black -

That is basically all you need to know!

As I recall Matt somehow connected his pigtail backwards.

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-27-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #5

Got it...will do. Thanks
Old 05-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I installed the same kit on my Sport and did exactly what Inspector mentioned by soldering in a JST pigtail into the battery connector. I also installed a remote switch to control power to the Traxxas power supply with 3rd channel.

I tried posting pic from photobucket but the mobile app links are now too big for the forum...

looks like it works ok from computer...

Last edited by Forker45; 05-30-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Forker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #7

THx for the pic. My LEDs were after market cheap ones so maybe they won't work with this power supply. I guess I'll find out. Excellent a very fast feed back. Later
Old 06-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sport dsm View Post
THx for the pic. My LEDs were after market cheap ones so maybe they won't work with this power supply. I guess I'll find out. Excellent a very fast feed back. Later
This power supply is regulated to 3V 0.5A meant for the TRX-4 led lighting accessories. It may not run aftermarket lights depending on their required input voltage range.
Forker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:42 PM   #9

Does anyone know what the name of the connector plugs are used on this power supply?
The plug I am referring to is the plug that connects the light wiring to the power supply pins.
It looks like a DuPont connector but is much smaller.

I am using Traxxas lighting but I am changing the wire lengths and would like to find some connectors to use.
Thanks.

Jamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Problem is your question is worded very badly. The lights do not connect to some power supply. They connect to the receiver.

If you need to shorten wires, cut them but leave enough on the connector end to be able to solder and heat shrink the wires together at the length you want.

Unless your buying a kit of parts and the special crimping tool to assemble the pins and connectors to make your own wiring harness.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
tigris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:24 PM   #11

Obviously Tigris99 does not know what he is typing about. This plug does not plug into any receiver. If you did plug it into a receiver it would probably blow out the lights as the Traxxas power supply is around 3 volts. Traxxas lighting kits plug into their own power supplies.
So no one knows what this plug is called?
Old 11-30-2022, 11:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamr View Post
Obviously Tigris99 does not know what he is typing about. This plug does not plug into any receiver. If you did plug it into a receiver it would probably blow out the lights as the Traxxas power supply is around 3 volts. Traxxas lighting kits plug into their own power supplies.
I believe Tigris99 was looking at the photo you posted. The end appears to be a regular receiver connector. But that end is supposed to plug into the 8028 unit that 4sport dsm was talking about. It does look the same. They left the end plug filled so that you wouldn't be able to plug it into the receiver.
kistner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:53 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

traxxaaasssss makes alot of smoke and thats about all there good for

think of it like a fire cracker it will be over that quick

then you can buy real electronics yay
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:23 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Based on that response, this project isn't something you should be doing because you have no idea how leds or these systems work.

Not to mention you can't even handle using Google to find the name of whatever connector (since none of the answer here are correct to you though they are the correct answers).

The picture you linked with the 4 light pods has the same 3 pin dupont connector used in RC.

Maybe if you didn't go from talking about the Traxxas light kit to something you found off ebay or Amazon or whatever, you could keep track of explanations and information given.

FYI all LEDs for RC pretty much run at 3V, it's how their wired and the resistors used to allow them to be used in RC or any other application.

Traxxas led kits in some cases run a jst plug for power supply because of the controller, still plug into the receiver. But in order to keep the load off the BEC they run the controller direct power. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the 3V leds used in the systems.

Last edited by tigris99; 12-01-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kistner View Post
I believe Tigris99 was looking at the photo you posted. The end appears to be a regular receiver connector. But that end is supposed to plug into the 8028 unit that 4sport dsm was talking about. It does look the same. They left the end plug filled so that you wouldn't be able to plug it into the receiver.

Thanks for the response.
Yeah it is much smaller than a receiver plug. If anyone looked it up they would know that before chiming in and criticizing others for their use of words???
Old 12-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
traxxaaasssss makes alot of smoke and thats about all there good for

think of it like a fire cracker it will be over that quick

then you can buy real electronics yay

I am interested in some "Real Electronics" Please elaborate.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
Based on that response, this project isn't something you should be doing because you have no idea how leds or these systems work.

Not to mention you can't even handle using Google to find the name of whatever connector (since none of the answer here are correct to you though they are the correct answers).

The picture you linked with the 4 light pods has the same 3 pin dupont connector used in RC.

Maybe if you didn't go from talking about the Traxxas light kit to something you found off ebay or Amazon or whatever, you could keep track of explanations and information given.

FYI all LEDs for RC pretty much run at 3V, it's how their wired and the resistors used to allow them to be used in RC or any other application.

Traxxas led kits in some cases run a jst plug for power supply because of the controller, still plug into the receiver. But in order to keep the load off the BEC they run the controller direct power. Has absolutely NOTHING to do with the 3V leds used in the systems.

Love how this guy criticizes and then tries to help.
You are wrong. This light kit does not have the same plug you use to plug into a receiver. It is much smaller and meant to plug into Traxxas power

bus which outputs 3voltsdc.

Your obviously misinformed.
Not sure why you are chiming in if you don't know the name of the plug?
Old 12-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Love how this guy criticizes and then tries to help.
You are wrong. This light kit does not have the same plug you use to plug into a receiver. It is much smaller and meant to plug into Traxxas power

bus which outputs 3voltsdc.

Your obviously misinformed.
Not sure why you are chiming in if you don't know the name of the plug?
Hey clown

Here is the pic you shared that was the basis of my first reply.

Had a nice proverbial "reality check" typed out then realized where you live. Waste of my breath. You're too dense and rude.

Last edited by tigris99; 12-01-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #19

Look at the pic moron! That is why I put it up.
That is NOT a receiver plug as it is much smaller. You were due a reality check.
Look into it next time before you pass off your non answers, know it all attitude and ridiculous name calling. How old are you?
Again, if you don't know the name if it, why the hell are you even blabbering?
And you call me rude and dense.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

i dont see any scale on that picture and it sure looks like a reciver plug on the end to me

dont be a "crawler boy" were just trying to help
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

8028 Traxxas light power supply issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issue with Power Shift RC Light Kit - Contact info? Richr8 Electronics 6 05-17-2020 05:34 PM
Question on the TRX 8028 light module OnTheTrail Traxxas TRX-4 3 05-09-2020 09:24 AM
Traxxas Power Supply for DC Charger skinnyj Electronics 2 05-29-2018 04:19 PM
Traxxas 8028 LED Power Supply can i wire direct to a 3s battery? willygee Traxxas TRX-4 8 04-17-2018 06:31 PM