Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Parallel charging question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Parallel charging question

Say you have two 1500 mAh 3s packs you want to charge in parallel. How would you go about treating them? Would you treat them as if they were a 3000 mAh 6s pack or would you still treat them as a 3s pack?
NeoPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Parallel charging question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPyro View Post
Say you have two 1500 mAh 3s packs you want to charge in parallel. How would you go about treating them? Would you treat them as if they were a 3000 mAh 6s pack or would you still treat them as a 3s pack?
There are adapter boards. If it's charged in parallel then it's done as 3s. Or if wired differently it can be charged as 6s in series. Depends on the wiring you use to connect the batteries.

They would be 1500mAh 6s in series or 3000mAh 3s parallel.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 06-01-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Okay, I see now. Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I wouldn't charge in parallel. Unless you have the correct adapter board it's a really bad idea.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Parallel charging can be done safely and fairly easily using a parallel charging board. I've been doing it for years without issue. You probably want to read about how to do it safely before trying it though.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
Parallel charging can be done safely and fairly easily using a parallel charging board. I've been doing it for years without issue. You probably want to read about how to do it safely before trying it though.

This, but charging is usually slower due to splitting the amps pushed into the cells, of course this depends on the charger and the batteries being charged.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I wouldn't charge in parallel. Unless you have the correct adapter board it's a really bad idea.
Parallel charging can be just as safe as charging your packs individually. I use to do it with a pair of Max Amps packs about 13 years ago, but I digress. Anyway, on top of what you said you just need a good quality charger and take the appropriate precautions. Speaking of which, if anyone is interested below is a list of precautions and some of my recommendations should you decide to charge your packs in parallel.
  • Use a good quality charger and parallel board. I prefer the kind with inline automotive fuses or polyfuses.
  • Always connect the discharge lead first, and then the balance lead to your paraboard (parallel board).
  • You should only parallel charge batteries with the same cell count. E.g you should only charge 2s with 2s... 3s with 3s... 4s with 4s... etc.
  • Always check the voltage of your packs before charging. You want the voltage of each cell to be as close as possible to one another. Personally, I would make sure the individual cell voltage in each pack is within 0.2 volts of each other.
  • While you can charge batteries of different brands and capacity together, I recommend only charging batteries of the same brand and capacity.

EDIT: As an aside to #4 you should always check the voltage of your packs before charging regardless if you parallel charge or not to make sure none of the cells in your pack have gotten too low.

Last edited by NeoPyro; 06-02-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Parallel charging question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
charging 3 2s lipos wired parallel Badcopyinc Electronics 9 08-09-2014 02:26 PM
parallel or singular lipo charging. klampykixx Electronics 24 07-09-2012 09:53 PM
Charging batteries in parallel gunch Newbie General 10 11-14-2009 10:50 PM
parallel wiring Question Over-Rev Tamiya Clod Buster 3 11-16-2005 03:04 PM