Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SCX10 ii spare parts for home and trail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #1

Default SCX10 ii spare parts for home and trail

I'm very much a noob - I tried two RC planes 25 years ago with disastrous results, but haven't done anything else RC since then, until about a week ago. I just got an SCX10 ii F100, and it's super-fun. I love it!

Unfortunately, I've had some bad luck at every turn - orders were delayed, I accidentally bought a battery that doesn't fit the compartment (from an online retailer who won't accept returns on lithium batteries,) my first charger was DOA, etc. It was a struggle even getting a battery charged for a first test run.

Anyway, once running, I've had a blast with it, but I managed to bust two things yesterday. I accidentally ran the truck into a cinder block at almost full speed, which busted one of the bumper mounts - it broke suspiciously in the exact spot that was loose when I first got the rig, and now I'm wondering if the post wasn't broken all along, and I had just managed to barely re-attach it with the last two or three threads on the screw. Regardless of whether it showed up damaged or not, I definitely finished it off!

The other issue happened in the middle of a hike, about a mile from home. Suddenly I lost steering control. After a few seconds of confusion, I realized the steering link (is that the right name?) was no longer connected to the servo horn. The screw that should've been holding it together had vanished, lost forever in the rocks, dirt, and grass. I briefly pondered carrying the rig all the way home, but eventually realized I could steal a screw from a different part of the frame and make it temporarily run again. So, I was able to drive it home (gently) instead of carrying it.

All of this has me thinking that I should have spare parts!!! Obviously I need a new bumper and a screw, but I'm wondering what else I should consider keeping on hand. I don't want to go crazy and spend all my money for no reason, but I also don't mind a little bit of investment in preparedness.

I assume people who do this all the time have gobs of spare parts at home, but I'm also wondering how much you carry on the trail. I was proud that I'd even thought to carry the relevant hex driver and was able to repair the truck out on the trail, but in retrospect it seems like it might make sense to have a few more key parts and tools in a backpack at all times so I don't end up stranded.

What do you think? What, if anything, do you carry on the trail? What else do you keep well stocked at home? Or do you mostly just buy spares only when needed?

Sorry this is such a long first post, and thanks in advance for any advice you can share!
ebeowulf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2020, 03:25 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SCX10 ii spare parts for home and trail

Hello and welcome to the hobby!
Well, you got most parts covered: matching tools (hex driver) and an open mind to solve problems (smart move to steal a less important screw)

I am carrying a small ziplock bag including:

- couple screws in different sizes
- spare wheel nuts
- small zip ties
- paper clips
- lipo voltage checker
- hex wrenches
- small universal pliers
- "Tamiya"-wrench
- small box cutter

Spare parts will pile up when you start modifying
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:42 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm new to this as well. All my running for now has been in my backyard. Interested in the list those more experienced suggest.

One thing I might add to the list is a roll of Blenderm. I call it RC Modelers Duct tape. Stuff is amazing and has come in very handy. Oh, and since it's a medical product, it works well for first aid. Used it many times in the shop instead of running upstairs for a Band-aid. LOL

https://www.amainhobbies.com/dubro-e...dub916/p19394:)
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:50 PM   #4

Many thanks for all the helpful replies so far. I plan to do some shopping over the weekend. I'd welcome any further suggestions from other members, but I think the replies so far would already give me a great starting point. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I love doing long trail runs, 6+ miles on the trail.

I have a small servo box, with spare screws a couple long and short (about a dozen total), nuts (1 of each size needed), body clips, a extra hex and drive pin, Driveshaft, and spur gear. I also have a tool set from Kinexis that has nut drives and all the common hex wrenches, and pliers.

I like to do a shakedown run, around the house, before I do my longer trail runs to check out if Screws and nuts are going to loosen on me. It much easier to solve problems at home, than on the trail.

After a shakedown, i check all fasteners to see if anything loosened, and replace or change the configuration so that they do not loosen. The servo issue I have had, and my solution was to put a longer button head through the servo horn and use a nylock nut on the opposite end to hold every thing together.

My backpack consists of my spare parts box, tool bag, a Jacket(rain or cold weather) water, extra batteries, Headlamp for me, lighter, Tp, and trail mix.

This trip was only 7 miles round trip, but ended @ 9400+ ft in elevation on the tallest peak in the local mtn range.

Ultimate Adventuring Bronco
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:09 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Nice write up, Lonleycreeper

Here is my basic spare parts / small parts bag:

Name:  tools 1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  tools 2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  96.1 KB

Additional Batteries, pliers, hex wrench sets, electrical tape on demand.
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
RCC Addict

As a general rule, the more you drive (shake down) any particular rig, the more dependable it becomes as you identify weak points and address them. And just FYI, the link from the steering horn to the steering knuckle is called a "drag link".
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I love doing long trail runs, 6+ miles on the trail.

I have a small servo box, with spare screws a couple long and short (about a dozen total), nuts (1 of each size needed), body clips, a extra hex and drive pin, Driveshaft, and spur gear. I also have a tool set from Kinexis that has nut drives and all the common hex wrenches, and pliers.

I like to do a shakedown run, around the house, before I do my longer trail runs to check out if Screws and nuts are going to loosen on me. It much easier to solve problems at home, than on the trail.

After a shakedown, i check all fasteners to see if anything loosened, and replace or change the configuration so that they do not loosen. The servo issue I have had, and my solution was to put a longer button head through the servo horn and use a nylock nut on the opposite end to hold every thing together.

My backpack consists of my spare parts box, tool bag, a Jacket(rain or cold weather) water, extra batteries, Headlamp for me, lighter, Tp, and trail mix.

This trip was only 7 miles round trip, but ended @ 9400+ ft in elevation on the tallest peak in the local mtn range.

Ultimate Adventuring Bronco
Thanks for the servo horn nylock advice and spare parts list. I'm jealous of your long outdoor adventures. I'll have to work my way up to that. That's a nice looking truck and a beautiful picture!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
Nice write up, Lonleycreeper

Here is my basic spare parts / small parts bag:

Attachment 389815

Attachment 389816

Additional Batteries, pliers, hex wrench sets, electrical tape on demand.
Awesome! That's exactly the sort of thing I need to put together (I've already started, thanks to earlier comments.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
As a general rule, the more you drive (shake down) any particular rig, the more dependable it becomes as you identify weak points and address them. And just FYI, the link from the steering horn to the steering knuckle is called a "drag link".
The shakedown and update plan makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip on terminology too. I want to use all the right lingo, but still have a lot to learn.

Tags
beginner, field repair, spare parts

SCX10 ii spare parts for home and trail - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare parts for Comp / out of town trail days MrBlank G-Made Sawback 3 07-23-2017 10:55 AM
Spare parts, SCX10/Monster Patrol build epic_username 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 06-18-2015 01:45 AM
Spare Parts SCX10 build donnybaxter Scale Videos! 0 07-23-2014 06:34 PM
SCX10 spare parts Big Daddy Arizona 2 08-29-2011 07:50 PM