Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General
Loading

Notices

Thread: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Berwick
Posts: 9
Default $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Ok so I am looking to get in to rc crawling. I have about $400 I am looking to spend and be ready to go run. I have narrowed it down to the scout ii or the enduro as they can be had rtr with battery and charger for under my budget with possibly a little extra. Out of these two if I go with rtr which will be the better choice? Which is the better truck out of the box and which is better if I end up putting money in to it?

Now. I love to work with my hands, I do all my own mechanic work on my project car, and have for over a decade so I am mechanically inclined.

So I saw builders kits also. I think it would be neat and informative to possibly do a kit instead as to learn all the parts hands on as I learn better this way. Is it doable to get a kit up and running in my price range? I could possibly go a little higher if I go the kit route as I can order some parts down the road as I build it.

Or is it not suggested for a first rig?
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Welcome to the site!

Building kits is so fun - arguably the best part of this hobby. I highly suggest it!

I'd personally rule out the Redcat Scout right away. It's just not as good as the mainstream brands.

I would suggest a TRX-4 Sport kit over and Element Enduro kit. The TRX-4 Sport kit comes complete with wheels, tires and a body whereas the Enduro Builder's kit does not. And the Sport kit is only $40 more. You can't get a body, wheels and tires that you'd need for the Element kit for $40 so consider that. Small Addictions RC (a legit site that I've ordered from) has the TRX-4 Sport kit in stock now. You won't find a tougher truck out of the box than the TRX-4. I think that should be considered given your limited budget. You don't want to be spending money on broken parts.

https://www.smalladdictionsrc.com/tr...-assembly-kit/

ESC: HobbyWing 1080 $42
Motor: Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 550 16T or Traxxas 550 21T $20
Steering servo: Power HD LF-20MG $25
Transmitter & receiver: A Spektrum take-off radio $40 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-TYPHO...MAAOSw3x9cxP49

That's barey minimum stuff. The ESC and motor are good and don't need changing. The servo may or may not be good enough for you. That's personal preference. The transmitter and receiver will also be fine, but it will only do this one RC model and no extra channels. If you decide to get more RC's or you want to add accessories like a winch or 2-speed transmission you will need another radio. That takes you to $407, but you will also need a battery and charger.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Berwick
Posts: 9
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Welcome to the site!

Building kits is so fun - arguably the best part of this hobby. I highly suggest it!

I'd personally rule out the Redcat Scout right away. It's just not as good as the mainstream brands.

I would suggest a TRX-4 Sport kit over and Element Enduro kit. The TRX-4 Sport kit comes complete with wheels, tires and a body whereas the Enduro Builder's kit does not. And the Sport kit is only $40 more. You can't get a body, wheels and tires that you'd need for the Element kit for $40 so consider that. Small Addictions RC (a legit site that I've ordered from) has the TRX-4 Sport kit in stock now. You won't find a tougher truck out of the box than the TRX-4. I think that should be considered given your limited budget. You don't want to be spending money on broken parts.

https://www.smalladdictionsrc.com/tr...-assembly-kit/

ESC: HobbyWing 1080 $42
Motor: Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 550 16T or Traxxas 550 21T $20
Steering servo: Power HD LF-20MG $25
Transmitter & receiver: A Spektrum take-off radio $40 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arrma-TYPHO...MAAOSw3x9cxP49

That's barey minimum stuff. The ESC and motor are good and don't need changing. The servo may or may not be good enough for you. That's personal preference. The transmitter and receiver will also be fine, but it will only do this one RC model and no extra channels. If you decide to get more RC's or you want to add accessories like a winch or 2-speed transmission you will need another radio. That takes you to $407, but you will also need a battery and charger.
I was basically looking at the trx kit if I did go that route.
Would I need greases and other odds and ends? Also I have a pretty good normal tool collection, and access to my mechanic buddies garage so how usable are normal tools? Or would I need specialized tools?
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post
I was basically looking at the trx kit if I did go that route.
Would I need greases and other odds and ends? Also I have a pretty good normal tool collection, and access to my mechanic buddies garage so how usable are normal tools? Or would I need specialized tools?
Great choice!

The only "specialized" tools you need are high quality 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5mm Allen/hex drivers that won't strip the screw heads. Also, a lot of use use something like MIP Speed Tips with an electric screwdriver with a clutch instead of turning each screw in by hand. Totally not necessary though.

As for grease, it is included with the kit. For kits that do not include grease, a lot of people use automotive red and tacky grease on metal RC gears, but I find it to be too sticky and cause too much drag in RC's. Lots of people will disagree with me though and I can't say I've ever heard of it causing an issue. Marine grease is good as well.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Berwick
Posts: 9
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Just ordered the kit. Gonna look in to all the other things I'll need. I want to get up and running for under 500 now. Just upped my budget lolll. Really I could spend more it's just I've spent like $3000 on parts for my actual car build so not trying to have my fiance murder me lol. She's the one who said to just order what I want though.

Gonna do my research in to battery and charger. For now it'll be my only truck.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post
Just ordered the kit. Gonna look in to all the other things I'll need. I want to get up and running for under 500 now. Just upped my budget lolll. Really I could spend more it's just I've spent like $3000 on parts for my actual car build so not trying to have my fiance murder me lol. She's the one who said to just order what I want though.

Gonna do my research in to battery and charger. For now it'll be my only truck.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Nice! Congrats!

She's a good woman!

Tons of choices for batteries and chargers. Definitely get LiPo because one battery will get you hours of run time.

Your location says Berwick. Is that Berwick, PA?
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Berwick
Posts: 9
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Nice! Congrats!

She's a good woman!

Tons of choices for batteries and chargers. Definitely get LiPo because one battery will get you hours of run time.

Your location says Berwick. Is that Berwick, PA?
Indeed it is Berwick pa

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Gresham
Posts: 15
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

For future searchers looking for options:
FS-GT5 with 6ch receiver can be had for $60 with the right sale/coupon/ability to wait . While you probably won't need 6ch now it's a well reviewed combo with future proofing should you get into lights, sound, winches, lockers...

While I haven't bought in yet, my research found the Gmade ecosystem to be very budget friendly. Replacement parts were very available and priced well.

Redcat is your only budget option for portal axles and brushless. (Srsly the Redcat Gen8 Axe is an amazing RTR value, portals, brushless, 6ch tx/rx, all metal gearing)
Dogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Berwick
Posts: 9
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogahn View Post
For future searchers looking for options:

FS-GT5 with 6ch receiver can be had for $60 with the right sale/coupon/ability to wait . While you probably won't need 6ch now it's a well reviewed combo with future proofing should you get into lights, sound, winches, lockers...



While I haven't bought in yet, my research found the Gmade ecosystem to be very budget friendly. Replacement parts were very available and priced well.



Redcat is your only budget option for portal axles and brushless. (Srsly the Redcat Gen8 Axe is an amazing RTR value, portals, brushless, 6ch tx/rx, all metal gearing)
How is that controller?

I found a spektra d2xe controller and srs6000 receiver for 40$ locally but I know nothing about this stuff yet. so doing some reading and questioning before I purchase more.

All i bought so far was the kit.
Ordering the hobbywing 1080 and trying to find the Holmes 550 trailwalker but it's sold out like everywhere. Don't want to settle for the Traxxas 550 as I read the Holmes is a little stronger. But who knows when I can get the Holmes. Gotta research servos and battery chargers.

Any suggestions on a charger?

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post
Indeed it is Berwick pa

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
I'm about an hour and 45 minutes from you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post
How is that controller?

I found a spektra d2xe controller and srs6000 receiver for 40$ locally but I know nothing about this stuff yet. so doing some reading and questioning before I purchase more.

All i bought so far was the kit.
Ordering the hobbywing 1080 and trying to find the Holmes 550 trailwalker but it's sold out like everywhere. Don't want to settle for the Traxxas 550 as I read the Holmes is a little stronger. But who knows when I can get the Holmes. Gotta research servos and battery chargers.

Any suggestions on a charger?

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
The FlySky GT-5 is nice. I have one. The G3C, which is the older version, can be had for less. I'm not a huge fan of that radio, but a lot of people are.

For chargers checkout the Hitec or Venom. Look to spend about $50 or $60 for a single battery LiPo charger.

EDIT: Above I said 16T for the Holmes CrawlMaster, but you should probably stick with 21T. It's better for most people. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 06-29-2020 at 07:19 PM.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 46
Default $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

I have the Hi Tec Rdx1 Mini Charger that Iím happy with for my first Charger.

I run 3s 2200 mah batteries and going from storage to full charge is around 25 minutes.

Easy to use and my Xt60 battery ends plug right in.
Benp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #12
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 948
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

I have the Holmes in one of my TRX4's and the Traxxas 550 in the other. I honestly don't notice the difference.. certainly not enough to make one any more fun than the other. Just saying in case you wind up having to get the stock 550.

I love my SkyRC IMAX B6AC v2 charger. Really decent/ easy to use/ safe with a lot of functionality if desired. I don't really like using Traxxas batteries/ chargers. Their lipos are overpriced imo and the ID charger technology limits you from other battery choices ( dunno what all adapters are out there but still). I like having a charger that's compatible with all types of connectors and I like being able to buy whatever size, mAh, discharge rate, etc lipo that I want. Just something tyo consider. Also XT60 all the way.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Berwick
Posts: 9
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Those with the fs-gt5 what receiver do I order it with?

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper
 
Fricker08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wilsonville
Posts: 223
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Man I had to buy my last HH 550 21t on eBay, but theyíre not even available on there right now. If I stumble across one Iíll let you know!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Berwick
Posts: 9
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

I figured out the receiver issue.

I will most likely be getting the skyrc charger. Has great reviews.
I am going to order the flysky gt5
Just gonna get the Traxxas 21t motor for now.
Going with the amazon 20kg servo that everyone recommends.
Hobbywing 1080

Now all I have left is batteries. I am reading about a few decent budget lipos. I am leaning towards the tattu 3s 2300mah 45c battery.



Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:39 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Berwick
Posts: 9
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Man I had to buy my last HH 550 21t on eBay, but theyíre not even available on there right now. If I stumble across one Iíll let you know!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I've checked everywhere. Since I am probably getting a Traxxas 21t. I may go for a Holmes 12t instead. Have one motor that's a bit faster.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Northern MN
Posts: 46
Default $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post
I figured out the receiver issue.

I will most likely be getting the skyrc charger. Has great reviews.
I am going to order the flysky gt5
Just gonna get the Traxxas 21t motor for now.
Going with the amazon 20kg servo that everyone recommends.
Hobbywing 1080

Now all I have left is batteries. I am reading about a few decent budget lipos. I am leaning towards the tattu 3s 2300mah 45c battery.



Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

My FS Gt5 came with the correct receiver.

I love my GT5 compared to the stock traxxas radio. Feels a lot better in hand and much easier to program.

A lot of good YouTube videos regarding basic setup such as binding the receiver to controller and setting steering endpoints.

Here is the full manual as the one that comes with the radio is very very basic.


https://www.primalrc.com/assets/manu...ransmitter.pdf

I did not find the stock motor too bad in my sport. I ran full stock for a while and then started changing in increments so I could see the changes.

Regarding HH products, here is my advice.

Set up a full account and save your username and password for the site so it will auto fill when you go to log in.

Once that is set up add the items you want to your wishlist and also receive an email notification when back in stock.

If youíre wanting something bad check your wishlist religiously, like hourly if possible.

Email notifications were dropping at 1201 am and products were available. Has not been the case for me lately with the email notification.

So check wishlist frequently, as you can order right from that, and a little luck.

Just my thoughts to better your chances to get what you want directly from HH.

Last edited by Benp; 06-30-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Benp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #18
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post
I figured out the receiver issue.

I will most likely be getting the skyrc charger. Has great reviews.
I am going to order the flysky gt5
Just gonna get the Traxxas 21t motor for now.
Going with the amazon 20kg servo that everyone recommends.
Hobbywing 1080

Now all I have left is batteries. I am reading about a few decent budget lipos. I am leaning towards the tattu 3s 2300mah 45c battery.
Checkout Hitec chargers. I believe they are made my SkyRC, but you're going to have better support from Hitec should you ever need it.

3S is a good choice. Smaller batteries offer better performance at the expense of shorter run times. I run 4200mAh batteries in my TRX-4, but obviously the performance won't be as good as with a smaller battery so just keep that in mind.

Hitec AC charger: https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hrc44295.htm


Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post
Yeah I've checked everywhere. Since I am probably getting a Traxxas 21t. I may go for a Holmes 12t instead. Have one motor that's a bit faster.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Just stick with the 21T for now.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Drums, PA
Posts: 63
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post
Indeed it is Berwick pa

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
Cool, and welcome. I live right over in Drums, Pa (20 minutes from you)

When you get your kit all done and want to go trailing, shoot me a pmail. My friend from Wilkes Barre took me trailing to a place about half hour from me over the weekend. Absolutely awesome! RC rock crawler's paradise. Can't believe we were out for 4 hours!

If Jato wants to come, he's welcome too. Not sure how much of a drive but for this place it may be worth it!

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 06-30-2020 at 12:40 PM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #20
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Drums, PA
Posts: 63
Default Re: $400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkeyOh View Post

I will most likely be getting the skyrc charger. Has great reviews.

How would you like a Thunder Power TP610 balance charger for free? It doesn't plug into the wall so it would need a 12V power supply or you could charge it from your (or your fiance's ) car battery.

I got the charger from a good friend that I flew RC planes with who passed away a few years ago. Happy to pass it on to a new home.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/thunder...-thp610/p22245
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



$400 budget for first rc crawler.. and rc period. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
build a super class crawler with budget of 400$ pitass Tamiya Clod Buster 9 04-05-2009 06:57 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com