RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   How do Comps work? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/620911-how-do-comps-work.html)

nathanotis 09-11-2020 08:53 AM

How do Comps work?

I've spectated at a couple local competitions, back in the day. I was curious how things would proceed from there. From the local level...

Let's say I start taking my comp crawler out to a few local events. For the sake of this discussion, let's say I have natural talent for reading courses and driving, and more than my fair share of luck. What's the path starting as an unsponsered newb? How does one end up standing on a pile of rocks in some other country, driving at Worlds?

Greatscott 09-11-2020 10:11 AM

Re: How do Comps work?

For comp crawlers the competition scene is, for the most part, dead. There are a few local clubs around that still run them, but they are few and far between. Now everything is scale comps.

svt923 09-11-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanotis (Post 6043976)
How does one end up standing on a pile of rocks in some other country, driving at Worlds?

Buy a ticket and get on a plane.

The comp crawling world isn't that big outside of regional pockets so even the "biggest" events seem to be open to whoever is willing to buy a ticket and travel to the location.

WHITE-TRASH 09-12-2020 10:23 AM

Want to get sponsored eh? That's easy, get a good job and pay your own way so you're sponsoring yourself. World's, nationals etc are open to any one with no qualifiers needed.

Inspector86 09-15-2020 09:41 AM

Being a sponsored driver is not as simple or easy as those on the outside looking in would assume.

Greatscott 09-15-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6044521)
Being a sponsored driver is not as simple or easy as those on the outside looking in would assume.

Nope...

The assumption is when you get sponsored all of your gear gets given to you, and you can just lay back and play with your trucks. This is not the way it works at all. A lot of times you are only getting sponsored for one thing, a servo maker, shocks, chassis, etc... There are a few sponsorships for full rigs, but those are a bit on the rare side, and you generally need to live somewhat near the company's HQ.

In most cases being sponsored actually costs you more money than not being sponsored. You sign a contract, and that normally says the obligations you have to meet, which includes making specific events and/or a certain number of competitions. In most cases, the travel and lodging comes out of your pocket. For local stuff, that isn't terrible, but normally going to a coast nationals or 'Worlds' means paying for a plane ticket, your lodging, and rental car; which likely greatly exceed the cost of the RC that company gave you.

Really, if you want to RC for free, actually try to get paid for it. Get your engineering degree and go to work for one of the RC makers. In this case, your employer will normally cover all of your costs.

But, if you want to catch the eye of a sponsor you need to do three things...
1. Have a good attitude. No sponsor I have seen wants someone who throws fits at the track to represent their products.
2. Foster the hobby. Sponsors normally look for the people who they see are helping out the junior competitors, giving them tips on set up and driving.
3. Be good, but be consistent. Sponsors want the guys that win, but not just the guys that win every once in a while. If you are not placing in the top five every competition, they will likely not notice you.

nathanotis 09-15-2020 04:09 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. I really was curious if local events were used as qualifiers for larger regional events, etc, etc, and so on. I'm not the competitive sort (unless it's with myself) and I'm not looking for sponsorship, but I understand how it works if you aren't a hugely successful super-star in your field

Kingmeow 09-16-2020 09:34 AM

To add, and this is on the air side of RC and not surface, being sponsored may not allow you access to free stuff. I once spoke to a sponsored guy on the air side and he told me that he has to pay for equipment himself though at a wholesale/dealer price.

Greatscott is correct, go get an engineering degree and work for your money. As an engineer, I can say once you get your degree you'll probably not work for any of the hobby companies. The bigger companies out there will pay better, have better benefits, and much better climb up the corporate ladder.