Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Rock Rey - Excess space in the battery compartment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Default Rock Rey - Excess space in the battery compartment

Hello everyone,

So I got my new Rock Rey a few weeks ago-my first RC and it is a freakin' blast!

I am running a 3S Lipo in it and there seems to be a lot of space in the battery compartment for the battery to move around when driving it. We're talking about 3/8"+ along the side and the top of the battery.

I run it on bumpy terrain, fields, and it sees some air time and hard landings. No crawling.

I put a 1/4" piece of rubber weather seal at the bottom edge of the tray opposite the battery door. It seems to hold the battery in place better so the battery does not move around too much.

I was thinking of installing some foam in strategic places to provide cushioning for the battery to soften the batterys ride. I'm not talking lining the compartment because I don't want to impede airflow, I'm thinking foam under the battery and small pieces in a few places on both sides and the top to provide cushioning.

Have any of you ever done this?
hawg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Rock Rey - Excess space in the battery compartment

Is the battery spacer in the battery compartment already? Because that takes up about 1/4" of the space on it's own. Also, what size batteries are you running? Most non-crawler sized, aka monster truck, 2s and 3s batteries fill that compartment. And Losi recommends hardcase batteries for the Rock Rey. I have one of those as well.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
Is the battery spacer in the battery compartment already? Because that takes up about 1/4" of the space on it's own. Also, what size batteries are you running? Most non-crawler sized, aka monster truck, 2s and 3s batteries fill that compartment. And Losi recommends hardcase batteries for the Rock Rey. I have one of those as well.
Hey Cyclist,

I am using Lectron Pro 3S Lipo, 5200mah-11.1V. It is not a hard case battery.

I had to take the spacer out because the battery would not fit in the compartment. I understood the spacer was to be used with 2S batteries.

Is a hard case battery that much bigger than a soft wrapped battery?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It really just depends on the brand/size of battery. I use both 2s and 3s in my Rey. 137x45x25mm hardcase batteries from SMC and they are a perfect fit with the spacer installed. With the spacer out, you can fit a huge 3s battery in there. I believe one of the advantages of the hardcase is the consistent size and shape keep it from flopping around in the compartment. Just look around at different brands and battery capacities that fill those measurements. A lot of companies will offer both hardcase and softcase batteries. otherwise, you'll have to pack a lot of foam in there to keep the battery from getting beat up.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
It really just depends on the brand/size of battery. I use both 2s and 3s in my Rey. 137x45x25mm hardcase batteries from SMC and they are a perfect fit with the spacer installed. With the spacer out, you can fit a huge 3s battery in there. I believe one of the advantages of the hardcase is the consistent size and shape keep it from flopping around in the compartment. Just look around at different brands and battery capacities that fill those measurements. A lot of companies will offer both hardcase and softcase batteries. otherwise, you'll have to pack a lot of foam in there to keep the battery from getting beat up.
Thanks Cyclist. I will poke around and look into the different batteries.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #6

hawg78: When I buy RC upgrade parts like shocks, many are packed in closed cell foam and I keep those pieces in a box. I use an electric knife to cut them into spacers like what you need. Could that be an option for you?
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rock Rey - Excess space in the battery compartment - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gmade Gom Battery Compartment Size? the.ronin G-Made Crawlers 4 11-06-2019 08:31 PM
Rear sway bar hits battery/compartment Lavaheadache Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 01-02-2017 04:39 PM
Battery compartment size Johan_Eriksson Axial RR10 Bomber 6 06-27-2016 10:32 AM
Turnigy 3S Packs dont fit in the battery compartment!!! djmaincheese Axial Yeti XL 10 11-26-2014 04:02 PM
Fixing a broken transmitter battery compartment sixty2 Electronics 0 10-08-2014 11:44 AM