Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Wheels vs water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #21

Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
I don't run most of my crawlers with vented tires, because once water gets inside them, it dosen't come out and you end up with rotten foams.

Although like said above, if you do end up brining it up to drastically different altitudes, they'll shrink and balloon.

On my comp/performance rigs that don't go in water, I vent them on the wheels with 2 holed drilled on the inside, if their dual stages, you've got no choice other than venting the tires, or go unvented.

I think you should do with unvented first, and if you feel like it's negatively effecting your performance, vent them.
Thankyou for all the replies, i appreciate it, looks like this is a sensitive subject I will just avoid water for now till someone invents real waterproof rc wheels with real scale performance. Thanks again for everyone's input

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk
Olrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I tend to not overthink something that simple, it’s foam lol.
That is it !
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i think u misunderstood me. I’m saying before I vented my tires they tended to hold their shape, not conform to an obstacle. After venting you can actually see them grab an edge and wrap around it. Kind of like running at 40psi vs 5psi in my experience. I’m not sure why it’s a big deal, foams dry out. The rotted old foams in the stock tires from when I got my old scx10 gripped like a beast. Just enough life in them left to keep the tire from folding over. I tend to not overthink something that simple, it’s foam lol.

Yeah, lol that makes since! It was about 2am when I responded, so I missed a thing or two. I personally run non vented without foams and it grips great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Heres how I see it. Vented with nice dry foams do likely grip the best. However, once those foams are all soaking wet your actually better off with a sealed tire/wheel that still has dry foam in it.

I play in riverbeds frequently and cant stand the truck hauling around heavy water-filled tires with mushy foams inside.

Yeah, people tell me to vent the tires and just hold the truck in the air at WOT to fling the water out. My experience is that the average trail truck doesnt have the wheelbspeed to accomplish this. You get like half the water out and in a few weeks you still have ruined foams.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Well that’s correct for single stage foams.

However the world has Other foams, Two Or Dual (closed cell) stage.... that don’t hold water, relying on size and air space for proper grip. I’m in the Everglades.... I never use single stage foams.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

I don't vent tyres or wheels.
Pro-Line says don't..
https://youtu.be/ht2ung1R4e8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Venting your tires is completely a personal decision. I have some tires vented and some non-vented and I cannot tell ANY difference in climbing ability or control between them. The advantage of non-vented is that they are waterproof. Don't believe that you have to vent it simply is not true!

66% do not vent.

Quote:
Yeah my tires didn’t get squishy before I poked holes in them. Physics lol.
That's because your foams are too stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Nobody gives a flying f... about what Eddie thinks

BTW :My closed cell A.L.T foams wouldnt work properly if the tire wasnt vented
My ALT foams work great in sealed tyres.
https://youtu.be/0Iu5lkBcXfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Don't vent, it's fun when you take your truck to a different altitude or temp and see your tires shrink or balloon

I've tried driving on snow, no shrinking.
No ballooning when I go to 100m(330ft)hilltop that is just 10min drive from my place.
Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #27
RCC Addict

I think he meant like a major elevation change. As in a mountain.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I think he meant like a major elevation change. As in a mountain.
Going 1000m(3300ft) higher changes the pressure 10%.
Often it's colder on the mountains so it offsets the tiny pressure change.(1psi/10F)
Not to mention the tyres may not be vented but certainly it's not airtight. The pressure evens out slowly.
Going really high with your 1:1 car, have you ever had problems with tyre pressure and ballooning...

Warning!

If you waterproof your servo and receiver box, they burst open and spill their guts all over the place if you go to higher elevation where unvented tyres start to balloon.
You may also notice that breathing is difficult because of the thin air.
Cooking noodles takes longer because water boils in a lower temperature.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:48 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Default Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
Often it's colder on the mountains so it offsets the tiny pressure change.(1psi/10F)
Not to mention the tyres may not be vented but certainly it's not airtight. The pressure evens out slowly.
Going really high with your 1:1 car, have you ever had problems with tyre pressure and ballooning...

Warning!

If you waterproof your servo and receiver box, they burst open and spill their guts all over the place if you go to higher elevation where unvented tyres start to balloon.

Yeah, maybe second thoughts on taking my rig up an extra 13,800ft

Old 10-20-2020, 04:47 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I used to live on the coast so 0ft above sea leval and when i went to tahoe amd crawled at 10000 for above sea leval my tires needed venting cause they were balloons and then back the other way they would suck up creating a flat spot in the tire i only needed to pull one screw to vent them but got to the point were i got tired of doing it and opened up the vents on the wheels my new place is at 3500ft and going from the beach to my house theres no change but from 0to10000ft its a huge difference
I started venting my tires cause.the rim vents would clog up with dirt and would have the balooning and shrinking problems again not a big deal if you dont traval from coast to the top of the sierras i was making the trip every other week for a while enuff to see it as a problem especially with multiple rigs

Last edited by ferp420; 10-20-2020 at 04:54 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:40 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I used to live on the coast so 0ft above sea leval and when i went to tahoe amd crawled at 10000 for above sea leval my tires needed venting cause they were balloons and then back the other way they would suck up creating a flat spot in the tire i only needed to pull one screw to vent them but got to the point were i got tired of doing it and opened up the vents on the wheels my new place is at 3500ft and going from the beach to my house theres no change but from 0to10000ft its a huge difference
I started venting my tires cause.the rim vents would clog up with dirt and would have the balooning and shrinking problems again not a big deal if you dont traval from coast to the top of the sierras i was making the trip every other week for a while enuff to see it as a problem especially with multiple rigs

Yeah, I bet it’s fun around Lake Tahoe We drove from Indy to Oakland to Seattle and I wish I would’ve had my rig with me. We went through the sierras and Rockies, I was so mad I didn’t bring it. I’m not going to be going near that 14k ft mark, There’s good spots at 0-4K

Old 10-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egsise View Post

Warning!

Yes I have had to deflate my 1:1 when visiting my dad in the Rockies. I live at sea level, he’s at 8,000 feet. No they didn’t exploded lol. But it was noticeable enough to affect traction in the snow.

Not sure why the sarcasm/aggression it’s just an observation. Some guys vent, some guys don’t. Do what you like to your RC truck and just have fun. I do a lot of things that may be a placebo but it is what it is, not losing sleep over it
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Well Eddie knows nothing then, Enjoy!
He’s forgotten more about foams than you and I combined know.
Quote:
Not sure why the sarcasm/aggression it’s just an observation.
Opinions without context, it's really common and often start living their life as "facts".
It's great that the Pro-Line video where they recommended not to vent crawler tires, also answer the question about tire shrinking or ballooning.

I was just outside driving in snow with 1:1 car, I've never noticed that the traction on snow is better or worse depending on tire pressure.
We change to snow tires when it's 50F(10C), and on -40F(-40C) the pressure is still ok.
We do check the pressure to keep the tire wear even, but not because of traction.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:25 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Default Wheels vs water

We do winter jeep trail rides every year.

Everyone airs down before we leave the shop. The airing down increases the contact patch vs not airing down.

Helps immensely in the snow.

At our final spot where we eat, we air back up before getting on the highway.

I only slow crawl rocks and never do water or mud, so my rc tires are vented.

My vehicles do lose tire pressure in the winter. If I check the pressure before I go somewhere, there will be a 7-10# difference. After driving a while and some heat is generated, the pressure is back to where it supposed to be.

My tires will even flat spot a little from sitting all day when it is -20F or colder. When I leave work, the car goes “thunk thunk thunk” down the road until the tires warm up.

As mentioned before, to each their own.

Last edited by Benp; 10-22-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:33 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

I know it's not quite the same as crawling, but LITERALLY EVERYONE in any class of RC racing will vent either their wheels or tires (or both). Touring, short course, 1/8 scale, indoor, outdoor, etc. It's simply more consistent. Now, to me it seems pretty clear that venting offers a performance advantage of some kind, even if it is miniscule, otherwise none the pros would be doing it either. (Before y'all jump on me, YES I have tried unvented wheels/tires while crawling, with multiple different wheels, tires, foam, and vehicle combinations. It does not work better than a properly vented setup).

That said, I would not vent my tires/wheels if I regularly drove through mud and water; it indeed does destroy the foam pretty quickly.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I'm not going argue which is better because I don't know

But tires conform very nicely without venting. I usually run CI single stage foams which allow an air gap between foam and tire and this works very good for me at least.

Last edited by GrimmTheTourist; 10-23-2020 at 11:40 AM.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmTheTourist View Post
I'm not going argue which is better because I don't know

But tires conform very nicely without venting. I usually run CI single stage foams which allow an air gap between foam and tire and this works very good for me at least.

Yup, reading all the comments since I posted the whole "wheels vs water" topic, I think in my opinion being new to the scene, that unvented is best for being on a budget, avoid excess water and look after your rig. Yes I know for people that have money to throw around my logic seems stupid. Thanks for all the input, I reckon the next big rc crawler invention would be a tyre that has realistic characteristics and is 200% waterproof

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk
Olrac is offline   Reply With Quote

Wheels vs water - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water foam and wheels bexline Traxxas Crawlers 2 05-28-2020 02:30 PM
Hot Wheels Ford Raptor RC: Off Road Water Crossing LAboy Scale Videos! 0 01-17-2016 10:02 AM
water in my wheels. dolphenwulf Tires and Wheels 32 09-15-2011 10:30 AM
Drilling Holes In Wheels for Water Runs? alexchen86 Newbie General 14 01-01-2010 12:56 AM
WARNING! aluminum wheels+salt water= bad! chino63 Tires and Wheels 16 06-17-2006 04:25 AM