Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Building a trial truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Building a trial truck?

Hey guys,

In future time i would really like to build a scale 6x6 truck. Now, how would i go about building one with what i'd need and what chassis setup i'd need?

Thanks.

Last edited by Kanzai; 05-13-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Kanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Here's how to build the middle axle using a TLT.

the extra parts need, regular TLT parts

Make the second input half look like this

Install the second pinion

finish up the axle as normal.

Keep in mind the new output pinion is reversed If your not worried about steering just flip the last axle. Mines not because both the inner axles are flipped. Yea, this one's an 8x8.

Connect up a driveshaft. I used regular Stampede/Rustler shaft with a pair of steel u-joints. With a 6 inch wheelbase, you don't need to modify the shafts at all and the TLT pinions are 5mm which is the exact same as the Traxxas u-joints.

As for suspension, I've seen most combinations on the net. Most of the 6x6 I've seen were either running Leaf springs or 4-linked usually with divorced coils. If you want scale, I guess that would depend on the body or the original truck. Most of the chassis just use channel aluminum. I did that with drop down side plates for the 4 link

Best bet is to find/build a body that you like and go from there.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks cool, any more pics?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

This is the last picture I'll post of the truck but it is going to be Trials truck and would be a good example using TLT axles with an EMaxx trans. There are a couple other 6x6 and 8x8 builds on this site in the 1.9 and 2.2 scale areas but this is eventually gonna be a HEMTT once I work out the bugs of the 1:1 cantilevered bogie suspension. I had to look that up.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

that looks like a cool start, I have a hemt project in mind, it will be a little different, i'm using 4 MLST axles which will make it a perfect 12th scale track width.
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
that looks like a cool start, I have a hemt project in mind, it will be a little different, i'm using 4 MLST axles which will make it a perfect 12th scale track width.
The newer HEMTT A3 is an independant suspension, that sounds like a good start. I'm going for 10th scale. I just narrow up the outer beads by an 1/8 inch and the track width is exact. The mashers are about 3/10th of inch short from being exactly 1/10 scale. Now to get the suspension scale
Old 05-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

ive read somewhere on this forum of a type of suspension called a 'walking beam' suspension, its commonly used on many-wheeled vehicles.... it looked abit too complex for me or the diagrams ive been looking at arent very good, what do you think of it?

::edit:: it could involve the nightmarish prospect of mounting the tlt chasses on rotating levers rather than solidly onto the main chassis, so that they articulate front and back, while the axles articulate sideways and vertically.... its almost like 2 seperate cars joined to each other by that main chassis, and being held to move in fixed arcs relative to each other....

Last edited by carmatic; 05-16-2007 at 12:59 AM.
carmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I guess I was in retard mode when I said Cantilevered Bogie, thats more of a trailer axle design where the leafspring is inverted and the ends are conected to the axle, not what I'm going for.

The walking beam is what I'm shooting for, the HEMTTs use the the first picture in this thread.
Scale walking beam suspension

I actually started prototyping it today. My 8x8 is in redesign mode (exploded all over my work bench) and I'm gonna try a scale walking beam setup with it. I'm gonna replace the lower links with a much prettier version of this

The rod ends connect at the axles and a leafspring (once I get some)will be mounted on the TLT suspension stay. Shocks will be mounted to the outboard side of the axles like the 1:1. The pivot is stock TLT cantilever parts, the ones you figure you'll never use and just throw away. Three of the bushings and trim the standoff/sleeve to fit inside. The beam is 1 inch x 1/4 alumn. flat stock I picked up at my local home center. The upper links won't change much from what I got.

I'll end up using bigger rod ends because truck is gonna be 12+ pound pig when and if I ever get it done. By done I mean a fully articulated paintball or airsoft turret mounted on the back with remote video camera gunsights. Neighborhood kids get pretty annoying.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:09 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Building a trial truck?

Ha, the good old days!
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Building a trial truck?

Yeah, the good old days where the answers were how to build something. Now it seems most the answers are where to buy something.

We are truly spoiled with options these days. I can remember when the "best" options were Stampede transmissions, Integy lathe motors and Pro-line Moab tires.

Its crazy how far this hobby has come in the last 15 or so years.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote