RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   Wheels vs water (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/621307-wheels-vs-water.html)

Olrac 10-04-2020 04:57 AM

Wheels vs water

Carlo here from South Africa, I am running a scx10ii, but scared of ruining my foams in water. Do i plug the air vents in the rim? What is the best way to do this? And doesn't that influence the traction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk

Ninomaniac 10-04-2020 05:22 AM

Re: Wheels vs water

A buddy uses screws in the vent holes to seal the wheels and removes them for regular running.

I plug the wheels, vent the tires liberally and hope the water will spin out. Open cell foams don't last long in that scenario...

King Dork 10-04-2020 06:36 AM

I vent my tires. I have this tool which you chuck into a drill. If I suspect any water got into the tires I’ll spin them for about a minute each (no more than half speed with the drill). Gets most of the water out through the vent holes in the tire.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/aka-12m...a44009/p531978

mikemcE 10-04-2020 07:34 AM

Vented is the only way for consistency. Eddie at CI put this foam guide together ( closed cells in water)

Foam Guide
Foams do not need to be confusing!

Here are some basics you need to know...

#1. The Crawler Innovations Double Deuce, Lil Nova and Deuce’s Wild Foam Systems are based on the weight and intended use of the your RC Vehicle, not the overall height of the tire.

#2. The closed cell foam is water proof, and air tight. The tire must be vented to allow the foam and the tire to properly conform to the rock surface. No air movement = No tire conformity

#3. Crawler Innovations always recommends stepping up one outer density for the rear foam pair of your RC Vehicle. The reason being is that the weight of the RC vehicle transfers to the rear tires on a climb.

#4. There is no one magical foam that does it all. If you want maximum rock crawling traction, you need a Dual Stage foam. If you want maximum speed with no tire enlargement, you need a Deuce's Wild Single Stage. Crawler Innovations offers a number of tuning aids that will allow you to finely tune your foams, once you've reached that level of understanding. Not everyone wants to be a Pro RC driver, some are happy weekend warriors.

#5. Wheel Weights: Crawler Innovations highly recommends knuckle weights. Do your best to keep rotating weight off your RC vehicle drive train. Your RC vehicle will last longer, perform better, and you can use the saved money from non broken drive train parts for other upgrades.

However, if you do use stick on lead weight around your RC rim, all of the Crawler Innovations Closed Cell Inner Foams will need to be modified to clear your wheel weights without stretching the inner. When you stretch the inner, it increases the Outside Diameter and the foam does not perform as designed. A Dremel with a sanding drum makes quick work of modifying the foam.

#6. Narrow Wheels with Standard Foams. If you have a Dremel with a sanding drum, sand the Closed Cell inner foam at a 45 degree angle so that it matches the width of your clamp ring. All of the VP bead locks are .750" width clamp rings, 1" overall. C.I. sells narrow inner foams, but unless your tire is narrowed, it's not properly filling the tire.

#7. Dual Stage Foams and Water: It's a non-issue, even with the tires vented. The closed cell foam PUSHES water away. So even though water might be coming through a 2mm vent hole, only the outer will retain water, but the outer is being flattened as it is being rolled on, thereby, only a minimal amount of water is even allowed in the tire. At the end of your day of fun, simply hand squeeze out as much water as possible from your tires, then run the RC Vehicle at wide open throttle with the vehicle in a elevated position and the centrifugal force will pull most of the remaining water out through the vent holes. Store your RC vehicle in an elevated position to avoid flat spots in the tires and foams.

Outer Densities: White foam / No markings = Soft Orange dot = Medium Black dot = Firm

Hang up and Drive

Olrac 10-04-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 6047192)
Vented is the only way for consistency. Eddie at CI put this foam guide together ( closed cells in water)

Foam Guide
Foams do not need to be confusing!

Here are some basics you need to know...

#1. The Crawler Innovations Double Deuce, Lil Nova and Deuce’s Wild Foam Systems are based on the weight and intended use of the your RC Vehicle, not the overall height of the tire.

#2. The closed cell foam is water proof, and air tight. The tire must be vented to allow the foam and the tire to properly conform to the rock surface. No air movement = No tire conformity

#3. Crawler Innovations always recommends stepping up one outer density for the rear foam pair of your RC Vehicle. The reason being is that the weight of the RC vehicle transfers to the rear tires on a climb.

#4. There is no one magical foam that does it all. If you want maximum rock crawling traction, you need a Dual Stage foam. If you want maximum speed with no tire enlargement, you need a Deuce's Wild Single Stage. Crawler Innovations offers a number of tuning aids that will allow you to finely tune your foams, once you've reached that level of understanding. Not everyone wants to be a Pro RC driver, some are happy weekend warriors.

#5. Wheel Weights: Crawler Innovations highly recommends knuckle weights. Do your best to keep rotating weight off your RC vehicle drive train. Your RC vehicle will last longer, perform better, and you can use the saved money from non broken drive train parts for other upgrades.

However, if you do use stick on lead weight around your RC rim, all of the Crawler Innovations Closed Cell Inner Foams will need to be modified to clear your wheel weights without stretching the inner. When you stretch the inner, it increases the Outside Diameter and the foam does not perform as designed. A Dremel with a sanding drum makes quick work of modifying the foam.

#6. Narrow Wheels with Standard Foams. If you have a Dremel with a sanding drum, sand the Closed Cell inner foam at a 45 degree angle so that it matches the width of your clamp ring. All of the VP bead locks are .750" width clamp rings, 1" overall. C.I. sells narrow inner foams, but unless your tire is narrowed, it's not properly filling the tire.

#7. Dual Stage Foams and Water: It's a non-issue, even with the tires vented. The closed cell foam PUSHES water away. So even though water might be coming through a 2mm vent hole, only the outer will retain water, but the outer is being flattened as it is being rolled on, thereby, only a minimal amount of water is even allowed in the tire. At the end of your day of fun, simply hand squeeze out as much water as possible from your tires, then run the RC Vehicle at wide open throttle with the vehicle in a elevated position and the centrifugal force will pull most of the remaining water out through the vent holes. Store your RC vehicle in an elevated position to avoid flat spots in the tires and foams.

Outer Densities: White foam / No markings = Soft Orange dot = Medium Black dot = Firm

Hang up and Drive

Wow, thanks for the advice!

Inspector86 10-08-2020 04:33 PM

Venting your tires is completely a personal decision. I have some tires vented and some non-vented and I cannot tell ANY difference in climbing ability or control between them. The advantage of non-vented is that they are waterproof. Don't believe that you have to vent it simply is not true!

mikemcE 10-08-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6047917)
Venting your tires is completely a personal decision. I have some tires vented and some non-vented and I cannot tell ANY difference in climbing ability or control between them. The advantage of non-vented is that they are waterproof. Don't believe that you have to vent it simply is not true!

Huh? That’s nonsense, But whatever floats your boat. You really should read Eddie’s facts. My vented tires and foams don’t hold water either.

Hang up and Drive

Phildirt 10-08-2020 08:04 PM

Yeah my tires didn’t get squishy before I poked holes in them. Physics lol.

Inspector86 10-08-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 6047935)
Huh? That’s nonsense, But whatever floats your boat. You really should read Eddie’s facts. My vented tires and foams don’t hold water either.

Hang up and Drive

What is nonsense is to presume you know what's best for someone else. FYI, I have read the article and I simply don't agree with his opinion. The FACT is that you are free to vent or not vent your tires as you see fit. But no one can tell you one is correct and one is incorrect because I don't know how you drive and you don't know were I drive. Venting is simply one more tool in your suspenion tuning toolbox. Use it as you see fit. But don't arbitrarily tell people that venting tires is a requirement when it is not.

mikemcE 10-08-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6047938)
What is nonsense is to presume you know what's best for someone else. FYI, I have read the article and I simply don't agree with his opinion. The FACT is that you are free to vent or not vent your tires as you see fit. But no one can tell you one is correct and one is incorrect because I don't know how you drive and you don't know were I drive. Venting is simply one more tool in your suspenion tuning toolbox. Use it as you see fit. But don't arbitrarily tell people that venting tires is a requirement when it is not.

Well Eddie knows nothing then, Enjoy!
He’s forgotten more about foams than you and I combined know.

Hang up and Drive

Phildirt 10-08-2020 08:25 PM

I mean I think in general we are free to do or not do any mod. I read something like that, consider the source, try it out...it’s really not a big deal I don’t think anyone’s forcing it on each other or maybe I’m naive lol.

themountain 10-09-2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 6047940)
Well Eddie knows nothing then, Enjoy!
He’s forgotten more about foams than you and I combined know.

Nobody gives a flying f... about what Eddie thinks :mrgreen:

BTW :My closed cell A.L.T foams wouldnt work properly if the tire wasnt vented

mikemcE 10-09-2020 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themountain (Post 6047962)
Nobody gives a flying f... about what Eddie thinks :mrgreen:

Ignorance is bliss.
But go ahead, keep it going![emoji85][emoji86][emoji204]

Hang up and Drive

Ninomaniac 10-09-2020 05:34 AM

Don't vent, it's fun when you take your truck to a different altitude or temp and see your tires shrink or balloon :D

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-09-2020 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninomaniac (Post 6047968)
Don't vent, it's fun when you take your truck to a different altitude or temp and see your tires shrink or balloon :D

Yeah I want to take my TRX4 to the top of Mauna Kea(13,800ft) and I wanna see what my foamless tires do, lmao [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-09-2020 06:11 AM

Wheels vs water

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phildirt (Post 6047937)
Yeah my tires didn’t get squishy before I poked holes in them. Physics lol.

Exactly, holes in tires allow MORE water in! Still don’t exactly get the point in it, but whatever. I don’t believe in a “waterproof” foam anyway. I vented my perfectly good Canyon Trails, and guess what, after a few water runs, my foams were mush and were trashed. I’m going to have to agree with Inspector, I haven’t noticed anything good, only bad with vented tires.

ScaleLifeNewbie 10-09-2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 6047938)

Well said man, to each their own. Everyone is in a different environment, if not multiple different environments.

vinceherman 10-09-2020 09:41 AM

My vented rims let water in but not out.
I vented the tires and now (most) of the water comes out.
Without venting you get less conforming to the sharp edges of rocks you are trying to climb over.
If you can't tell the difference, don't vent.

Phildirt 10-09-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6047971)
Exactly, holes in tires allow MORE water in! Still don’t exactly get the point in it, but whatever. I don’t believe in a “waterproof” foam anyway. I vented my perfectly good Canyon Trails, and guess what, after a few water runs, my foams were mush and were trashed. I’m going to have to agree with Inspector, I haven’t noticed anything good, only bad with vented tires.

i think u misunderstood me. I’m saying before I vented my tires they tended to hold their shape, not conform to an obstacle. After venting you can actually see them grab an edge and wrap around it. Kind of like running at 40psi vs 5psi in my experience. I’m not sure why it’s a big deal, foams dry out. The rotted old foams in the stock tires from when I got my old scx10 gripped like a beast. Just enough life in them left to keep the tire from folding over. I tend to not overthink something that simple, it’s foam lol.

TITANIUM94010 10-09-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olrac (Post 6047175)
Carlo here from South Africa, I am running a scx10ii, but scared of ruining my foams in water. Do i plug the air vents in the rim? What is the best way to do this? And doesn't that influence the traction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't run most of my crawlers with vented tires, because once water gets inside them, it dosen't come out and you end up with rotten foams.
Although like said above, if you do end up brining it up to drastically different altitudes, they'll shrink and balloon.

On my comp/performance rigs that don't go in water, I vent them on the wheels with 2 holed drilled on the inside, if their dual stages, you've got no choice other than venting the tires, or go unvented.

I think you should do with unvented first, and if you feel like it's negatively effecting your performance, vent them.