Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General
Loading

Notices

Thread: Wheels vs water

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 04:57 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Strand
Posts: 22
Default Wheels vs water

Carlo here from South Africa, I am running a scx10ii, but scared of ruining my foams in water. Do i plug the air vents in the rim? What is the best way to do this? And doesn't that influence the traction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk
Olrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 600
Default Re: Wheels vs water

A buddy uses screws in the vent holes to seal the wheels and removes them for regular running.

I plug the wheels, vent the tires liberally and hope the water will spin out. Open cell foams don't last long in that scenario...
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Erie
Posts: 100
Default Re: Wheels vs water

I vent my tires. I have this tool which you chuck into a drill. If I suspect any water got into the tires Iíll spin them for about a minute each (no more than half speed with the drill). Gets most of the water out through the vent holes in the tire.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/aka-12m...a44009/p531978
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,358
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Vented is the only way for consistency. Eddie at CI put this foam guide together ( closed cells in water)

Foam Guide
Foams do not need to be confusing!

Here are some basics you need to know...

#1. The Crawler Innovations Double Deuce, Lil Nova and Deuceís Wild Foam Systems are based on the weight and intended use of the your RC Vehicle, not the overall height of the tire.

#2. The closed cell foam is water proof, and air tight. The tire must be vented to allow the foam and the tire to properly conform to the rock surface. No air movement = No tire conformity

#3. Crawler Innovations always recommends stepping up one outer density for the rear foam pair of your RC Vehicle. The reason being is that the weight of the RC vehicle transfers to the rear tires on a climb.

#4. There is no one magical foam that does it all. If you want maximum rock crawling traction, you need a Dual Stage foam. If you want maximum speed with no tire enlargement, you need a Deuce's Wild Single Stage. Crawler Innovations offers a number of tuning aids that will allow you to finely tune your foams, once you've reached that level of understanding. Not everyone wants to be a Pro RC driver, some are happy weekend warriors.

#5. Wheel Weights: Crawler Innovations highly recommends knuckle weights. Do your best to keep rotating weight off your RC vehicle drive train. Your RC vehicle will last longer, perform better, and you can use the saved money from non broken drive train parts for other upgrades.

However, if you do use stick on lead weight around your RC rim, all of the Crawler Innovations Closed Cell Inner Foams will need to be modified to clear your wheel weights without stretching the inner. When you stretch the inner, it increases the Outside Diameter and the foam does not perform as designed. A Dremel with a sanding drum makes quick work of modifying the foam.

#6. Narrow Wheels with Standard Foams. If you have a Dremel with a sanding drum, sand the Closed Cell inner foam at a 45 degree angle so that it matches the width of your clamp ring. All of the VP bead locks are .750" width clamp rings, 1" overall. C.I. sells narrow inner foams, but unless your tire is narrowed, it's not properly filling the tire.

#7. Dual Stage Foams and Water: It's a non-issue, even with the tires vented. The closed cell foam PUSHES water away. So even though water might be coming through a 2mm vent hole, only the outer will retain water, but the outer is being flattened as it is being rolled on, thereby, only a minimal amount of water is even allowed in the tire. At the end of your day of fun, simply hand squeeze out as much water as possible from your tires, then run the RC Vehicle at wide open throttle with the vehicle in a elevated position and the centrifugal force will pull most of the remaining water out through the vent holes. Store your RC vehicle in an elevated position to avoid flat spots in the tires and foams.

Outer Densities: White foam / No markings = Soft Orange dot = Medium Black dot = Firm


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Strand
Posts: 22
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Vented is the only way for consistency. Eddie at CI put this foam guide together ( closed cells in water)

Foam Guide
Foams do not need to be confusing!

Here are some basics you need to know...

#1. The Crawler Innovations Double Deuce, Lil Nova and Deuceís Wild Foam Systems are based on the weight and intended use of the your RC Vehicle, not the overall height of the tire.

#2. The closed cell foam is water proof, and air tight. The tire must be vented to allow the foam and the tire to properly conform to the rock surface. No air movement = No tire conformity

#3. Crawler Innovations always recommends stepping up one outer density for the rear foam pair of your RC Vehicle. The reason being is that the weight of the RC vehicle transfers to the rear tires on a climb.

#4. There is no one magical foam that does it all. If you want maximum rock crawling traction, you need a Dual Stage foam. If you want maximum speed with no tire enlargement, you need a Deuce's Wild Single Stage. Crawler Innovations offers a number of tuning aids that will allow you to finely tune your foams, once you've reached that level of understanding. Not everyone wants to be a Pro RC driver, some are happy weekend warriors.

#5. Wheel Weights: Crawler Innovations highly recommends knuckle weights. Do your best to keep rotating weight off your RC vehicle drive train. Your RC vehicle will last longer, perform better, and you can use the saved money from non broken drive train parts for other upgrades.

However, if you do use stick on lead weight around your RC rim, all of the Crawler Innovations Closed Cell Inner Foams will need to be modified to clear your wheel weights without stretching the inner. When you stretch the inner, it increases the Outside Diameter and the foam does not perform as designed. A Dremel with a sanding drum makes quick work of modifying the foam.

#6. Narrow Wheels with Standard Foams. If you have a Dremel with a sanding drum, sand the Closed Cell inner foam at a 45 degree angle so that it matches the width of your clamp ring. All of the VP bead locks are .750" width clamp rings, 1" overall. C.I. sells narrow inner foams, but unless your tire is narrowed, it's not properly filling the tire.

#7. Dual Stage Foams and Water: It's a non-issue, even with the tires vented. The closed cell foam PUSHES water away. So even though water might be coming through a 2mm vent hole, only the outer will retain water, but the outer is being flattened as it is being rolled on, thereby, only a minimal amount of water is even allowed in the tire. At the end of your day of fun, simply hand squeeze out as much water as possible from your tires, then run the RC Vehicle at wide open throttle with the vehicle in a elevated position and the centrifugal force will pull most of the remaining water out through the vent holes. Store your RC vehicle in an elevated position to avoid flat spots in the tires and foams.

Outer Densities: White foam / No markings = Soft Orange dot = Medium Black dot = Firm


Hang up and Drive
Wow, thanks for the advice!

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk
Olrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict
 
Inspector86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,726
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Venting your tires is completely a personal decision. I have some tires vented and some non-vented and I cannot tell ANY difference in climbing ability or control between them. The advantage of non-vented is that they are waterproof. Don't believe that you have to vent it simply is not true!
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,358
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Venting your tires is completely a personal decision. I have some tires vented and some non-vented and I cannot tell ANY difference in climbing ability or control between them. The advantage of non-vented is that they are waterproof. Don't believe that you have to vent it simply is not true!

Huh? Thatís nonsense, But whatever floats your boat. You really should read Eddieís facts. My vented tires and foams donít hold water either.


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 161
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Yeah my tires didn’t get squishy before I poked holes in them. Physics lol.
Phildirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict
 
Inspector86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,726
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Huh? Thatís nonsense, But whatever floats your boat. You really should read Eddieís facts. My vented tires and foams donít hold water either.


Hang up and Drive

What is nonsense is to presume you know what's best for someone else. FYI, I have read the article and I simply don't agree with his opinion. The FACT is that you are free to vent or not vent your tires as you see fit. But no one can tell you one is correct and one is incorrect because I don't know how you drive and you don't know were I drive. Venting is simply one more tool in your suspenion tuning toolbox. Use it as you see fit. But don't arbitrarily tell people that venting tires is a requirement when it is not.

Last edited by Inspector86; 10-08-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,358
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
What is nonsense is to presume you know what's best for someone else. FYI, I have read the article and I simply don't agree with his opinion. The FACT is that you are free to vent or not vent your tires as you see fit. But no one can tell you one is correct and one is incorrect because I don't know how you drive and you don't know were I drive. Venting is simply one more tool in your suspenion tuning toolbox. Use it as you see fit. But don't arbitrarily tell people that venting tires is a requirement when it is not.

Well Eddie knows nothing then, Enjoy!
Heís forgotten more about foams than you and I combined know.


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 161
Default Re: Wheels vs water

I mean I think in general we are free to do or not do any mod. I read something like that, consider the source, try it out...it’s really not a big deal I don’t think anyone’s forcing it on each other or maybe I’m naive lol.
Phildirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:20 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Terrassa/Barcelona
Posts: 461
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Well Eddie knows nothing then, Enjoy!
Heís forgotten more about foams than you and I combined know.
Nobody gives a flying f... about what Eddie thinks

BTW :My closed cell A.L.T foams wouldnt work properly if the tire wasnt vented
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deep in the Everglades
Posts: 5,358
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Nobody gives a flying f... about what Eddie thinks
Ignorance is bliss.
But go ahead, keep it going!


Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:34 AM   #14
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 600
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Don't vent, it's fun when you take your truck to a different altitude or temp and see your tires shrink or balloon
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Big Island, Hawaii
Posts: 344
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Don't vent, it's fun when you take your truck to a different altitude or temp and see your tires shrink or balloon

Yeah I want to take my TRX4 to the top of Mauna Kea(13,800ft) and I wanna see what my foamless tires do, lmao


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Big Island, Hawaii
Posts: 344
Default Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Yeah my tires didnít get squishy before I poked holes in them. Physics lol.

Exactly, holes in tires allow MORE water in! Still donít exactly get the point in it, but whatever. I donít believe in a ďwaterproofĒ foam anyway. I vented my perfectly good Canyon Trails, and guess what, after a few water runs, my foams were mush and were trashed. Iím going to have to agree with Inspector, I havenít noticed anything good, only bad with vented tires.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 10-09-2020 at 07:13 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:14 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Big Island, Hawaii
Posts: 344
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
What is nonsense is to presume you know what's best for someone else. FYI, I have read the article and I simply don't agree with his opinion. The FACT is that you are free to vent or not vent your tires as you see fit. But no one can tell you one is correct and one is incorrect because I don't know how you drive and you don't know were I drive. Venting is simply one more tool in your suspenion tuning toolbox. Use it as you see fit. But don't arbitrarily tell people that venting tires is a requirement when it is not.

Well said man, to each their own. Everyone is in a different environment, if not multiple different environments.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:41 AM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 37
Default Re: Wheels vs water

My vented rims let water in but not out.
I vented the tires and now (most) of the water comes out.
Without venting you get less conforming to the sharp edges of rocks you are trying to climb over.
If you can't tell the difference, don't vent.
vinceherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 161
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Exactly, holes in tires allow MORE water in! Still donít exactly get the point in it, but whatever. I donít believe in a ďwaterproofĒ foam anyway. I vented my perfectly good Canyon Trails, and guess what, after a few water runs, my foams were mush and were trashed. Iím going to have to agree with Inspector, I havenít noticed anything good, only bad with vented tires.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i think u misunderstood me. Iím saying before I vented my tires they tended to hold their shape, not conform to an obstacle. After venting you can actually see them grab an edge and wrap around it. Kind of like running at 40psi vs 5psi in my experience. Iím not sure why itís a big deal, foams dry out. The rotted old foams in the stock tires from when I got my old scx10 gripped like a beast. Just enough life in them left to keep the tire from folding over. I tend to not overthink something that simple, itís foam lol.
Phildirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 165
Default Re: Wheels vs water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrac View Post
Carlo here from South Africa, I am running a scx10ii, but scared of ruining my foams in water. Do i plug the air vents in the rim? What is the best way to do this? And doesn't that influence the traction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my AMN-LX9 using Tapatalk
I don't run most of my crawlers with vented tires, because once water gets inside them, it dosen't come out and you end up with rotten foams.
Although like said above, if you do end up brining it up to drastically different altitudes, they'll shrink and balloon.

On my comp/performance rigs that don't go in water, I vent them on the wheels with 2 holed drilled on the inside, if their dual stages, you've got no choice other than venting the tires, or go unvented.

I think you should do with unvented first, and if you feel like it's negatively effecting your performance, vent them.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Wheels vs water - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water foam and wheels bexline Traxxas Crawlers 2 05-28-2020 02:30 PM
Hot Wheels Ford Raptor RC: Off Road Water Crossing LAboy Scale Videos! 0 01-17-2016 10:02 AM
water in my wheels. dolphenwulf Tires and Wheels 32 09-15-2011 10:30 AM
Drilling Holes In Wheels for Water Runs? alexchen86 Newbie General 14 01-01-2010 12:56 AM
WARNING! aluminum wheels+salt water= bad! chino63 Tires and Wheels 16 06-17-2006 04:25 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com