Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Weights for tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Weights for tuning?

Hi,

I am making a prerunner build from a SCX10ii, and I need around 40/60 front back weight distribution. The 10.2 RBK has the battery and motor mounted pretty upfront, which means a lot of front weight distribition.
I'm not making a crawler, rather a trophy truck ish build, so I need more weight down rear than up front. I'll be mounting a modified proline cage with 2 tires,
(most likely on plastic wheels) which should push the weight distribution more back, but I probably need more weights. Looking at weights on amazon, there's ones that come in 1Oz, and ones that come in a a few grams.
Should I buy the heaver or lighter ones? The heavier ones are pretty large and I'm not sure if I can find the room to fit them without them being ugly, but I'm afraid that the light ones are too light and won't make enough of a difference.

Thanks.
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Weights for tuning?

Using brass for the links keeps added weight and cog pretty low without adding turning mass. You might find somebody turning you the length you need instead of buying a complete set.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Make a new battery tray so you can move it to the rear?

Also when looking for RC parts Amazon is the absolute worst place to go to browse. I'd highly recommend going to AMain or RPP unless you like seeing the same parts listed over and over by the many sellers that litter Amazon. Both Amain and RPP allow you to search for parts by vehicle, from there you can sort by brand or terms, this makes browsing much simpler.

Both sites have 40+ options for weight for the 10.2

https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-s...0282?s=weights

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...rch=%20weights

Personally I would not add any weight at all to a "go fast" and I'd try instead to relocate the battery to get the balance where I wanted it.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-12-2020 at 07:18 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Make a new battery tray so you can move it to the rear?

Also when looking for RC parts Amazon is the absolute worst place to go to browse. I'd highly recommend going to AMain or RPP unless you like seeing the same parts listed over and over by the many sellers that litter Amazon. Both Amain and RPP allow you to search for parts by vehicle, from there you can sort by brand or terms, this makes browsing much simpler.

Both sites have 40+ options for weight for the 10.2

https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-s...0282?s=weights

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...rch=%20weights

Personally I would not add any weight at all to a "go fast" and I'd try instead to relocate the battery to get the balance where I wanted it.

Yeah I guess I can move the battery tray back but I'm not sure it could fit, the pack is pretty packed.
I buy all my Rcs and parts from Amain, just Amazon has more weights (the ones not meant for rc)
I need sprung weight, because I'm using it for suspension tuning in a way, so axle weights are pretty much useless. I mighgt get one of those small weight packs from amain but they're most likely too light to do too much.

I'll see what I can do with the battery tray for now but I'm not sure.
Thanks!
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Weights for tuning? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Tuning - Articulation, Weights, Wheelbase, etc. Black Rock Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 05-26-2012 09:59 PM
Live weights vs static weights (aka bearings vs stick-ons) sim Newbie General 0 08-20-2009 08:30 PM