Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New Rig - Need Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New Rig - Need Input

Here's another option I came up with while thinking of my next rig. Based on the above net package costs you've listed, get a RTR G500 for $399. Then get a Sport body for $50, a set of Sport body posts for $4, set of Inorja Rims $50, and some good tires/foams $90-100, a can of Tamiya paint $7 and a metal servo arm $8 for the stock servo. Now you have a TRX4 with 2spd, locking diffs and one body tire/ set for trailing and one for more serious crawling. If and when the stock servo goes, get a stronger aftermarket steering servo for $30-$130.

All this comes in way below everything you listed with the exception of the RTR Sport. If you're not a fan of the sport body, you can get one of the other Traxxas choices or many aftermarket options.

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 11-25-2020 at 02:15 PM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Here's another option I came up with while thinking of my next rig. Based on the above net package costs you've listed, get a RTR G500 for $399. Then get a Sport body for $50, a set of Sport body posts for $4, set of Inorja Rims $50, and some good tires/foams $90-100, a can of Tamiya paint $7 and a metal servo arm $8 for the stock servo. Now you have a TRX4 with 2spd, locking diffs and one body tire/ set for trailing and one for more serious crawling. If and when the stock servo goes, get a stronger aftermarket steering servo for $30-$130.

All this comes in way below everything you listed with the exception of the RTR Sport. If you're not a fan of the sport body, you can get one of the other Traxxas choices or many aftermarket options.

At $457 you're kind of getting close to the RTR Blazer/Bronco ($480ish) and the same as the RTR Defender ($460ish) once you add the kit and the extra body/posts though. But not a horrible plan, you would have lighter body and much better COG. Side note the G500 wheels are hideous haha. Probably why its so cheap
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
At $457 you're kind of getting close to the RTR Blazer/Bronco ($480ish) and the same as the RTR Defender ($460ish) once you add the kit and the extra body/posts though. But not a horrible plan, you would have lighter body and much better COG. Side note the G500 wheels are hideous haha. Probably why its so cheap

Not to mention the toy grade looking body and tires that look like plastic lmao.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
The motor cover. You’ll never see it with the body on, so what’s the point?
The 2 speed. It’s only a 40% increase in speed, can’t really tell the difference like you can with the TRX4.
DIG. Not a lot of people want it/use it, including me.
The split rail frame. Seems like a weak point to me. (Not so much pointless, just something I don’t like)
  • Yah I wondered about the engine cover. It's part of the scaler look and feel, I get it. But it's not for me, it would be in the trash after a few pictures.
  • The 2 speed is better than nothing and you can only drive it so fast with out completely loosing control anyway. Remember the speed scales too. So 10 MPH is like 100 MPH in a solid axle truck. Eeek!. If I really want to go fast I can hop up the electronics and run an 6S battery. - See Kevin Talbot.
  • I like the dig. I don't have one now, but it's seem pretty cool for crawling. However, I might hate it - I dunno.
  • I thought the split rail was a bit goofy but I'm not concerned. From a performance perspective, it add weight strength and rigidity low down in the chassis. But you'd better make sure you get the bolt tight so it doesn't do this.

Quote:

I saw the G500 and it's cool, but maybe a bit too baller for me. The sport body is not bad looking and light weight.
itr1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by itr1275 View Post
[LIST]

I saw the G500 and it's cool, but maybe a bit too baller for me. The sport body is not bad looking and light weight.
No doubt. Just mentioning it for the features for your hard earned dollar. I absolutely love the diff locks in my Defender as well as the 2 spd from time to time since I geared it down. For me it would be hard to go with a sport RTR without them so I looked around to find way to do a Sport with them for the lowest amount of out of pocket funds.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
No doubt. Just mentioning it for the features for your hard earned dollar. I absolutely love the diff locks in my Defender as well as the 2 spd from time to time since I geared it down. For me it would be hard to go with a sport RTR without them so I looked around to find way to do a Sport with them for the lowest amount of out of pocket funds.

Huh? the sport doesn't have diff locks and a 2-speed? I thought it was missing servos only?
Old 11-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Huh? the sport doesn't have diff locks and a 2-speed? I thought it was missing servos only?
Single speed/spools. To get the rest you have to get anything but the sport or sport kit. The crawler kit has all of the goodies but you’d need electronics, wheels/tires, body...I am going rtr so I have spare parts when I decide to start changing things. I don’t have drawers full of components like most in the forum lol. Now if you needed 1:1 Chevy truck parts I have those in spades. Have owned/modified 2 s10s, a Silverado, 2 suburbans, and now own a Tahoe. Figured out it’s cheaper, sort of, to play with toy trucks. Wrenching isn’t as sweaty either lol.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Single speed/spools. To get the rest you have to get anything but the sport or sport kit. The crawler kit has all of the goodies but you’d need electronics, wheels/tires, body...I am going rtr so I have spare parts when I decide to start changing things. I don’t have drawers full of components like most in the forum lol. Now if you needed 1:1 Chevy truck parts I have those in spades. Have owned/modified 2 s10s, a Silverado, 2 suburbans, and now own a Tahoe. Figured out it’s cheaper, sort of, to play with toy trucks. Wrenching isn’t as sweaty either lol.
Ok. Thanks that saved a bunch of disappointment. That's funny because I always tell my wife, never buy the "sport" trim of a car. Sport means I didn't spend the money to get the good one, so they gave me this fancy "sport" badge to make me feel better.

So it's the

TRX4 Chassis Kit, with electronics, T-Lock diffs & 2 speed trans. No body ($395)
TRX4 Sport. Has locked diffs and single speed trans. No electronics. ($299 kit/$359 RTR)
TRX4 G500/Bronco/Chevy/Defender, complete with lockers and 2 speed. (G500 $399/Others $469)

But the G500 is only $399, why?
Old 11-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:

OK, I see your point now; however, it's still a $600+ truck in that config. Probably better off with the Crawler Kit for $400 +$50 body?
Old 11-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok. Thanks that saved a bunch of disappointment. That's funny because I always tell my wife, never buy the "sport" trim of a car. Sport means I didn't spend the money to get the good one, so they gave me this fancy "sport" badge to make me feel better.

So it's the

TRX4 Chassis Kit, with electronics, T-Lock diffs & 2 speed trans. No body ($395)
TRX4 Sport. Has locked diffs and single speed trans. No electronics. ($299 kit/$359 RTR)
TRX4 G500/Bronco/Chevy/Defender, complete with lockers and 2 speed. (G500 $399/Others $469)

But the G500 is only $399, why?
If I had to guess it’s less because it doesn’t sell. Supply/demand. It would be really cool if they did the 69 or 72 Blazer in an RTR. I’d do that in a second. As it is I’m planning on Defender because the longer wheelbase/big old top heavy chunky body just speaks to me. I watched a video of 9 or 12 test side by side vs 10iii today and it sidehilled just fine, was faster, stronger, better turning radius...I was sold about halfway through. I don’t have the link but Google SCX10iii vs TRX4 and it’s an Asian gentleman running a silver Traxxas/grey Axial both RTR. Very comprehensive test.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I don’t have the link but Google SCX10iii vs TRX4 and it’s an Asian gentleman running a silver Traxxas/grey Axial both RTR. Very comprehensive test.
The channel name is “RC Review” if this helps anyone

Old 11-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Quote:
If I had to guess it’s less because it doesn’t sell. Supply/demand. It would be really cool if they did the 69 or 72 Blazer in an RTR. I’d do that in a second. As it is I’m planning on Defender because the longer wheelbase/big old top heavy chunky body just speaks to me. I watched a video of 9 or 12 test side by side vs 10iii today and it sidehilled just fine, was faster, stronger, better turning radius...I was sold about halfway through. I don’t have the link but Google SCX10iii vs TRX4 and it’s an Asian gentleman running a silver Traxxas/grey Axial both RTR. Very comprehensive test.

I know the video by RC Review - Francis. He local to me but I haven't met him. Good videos and very thorough. The only thing I would like to see is a comparison summary at the end. Sort of like they do in the car mags.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

It turns out that if you really want the 2-speed and locking diffs you can add it via a kit.

Two speed conversion kit ($60)
Model# 8196
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...ra8196/p783826

Traxxas TRX-4 Locking Front/Rear Differential ($140)
Model# TRA8195
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...95/p777204?r=0

However, it's $200. So I would still be $50 better off getting the Crawler Kit ($395) and buying a body ($50).
Old 11-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

OK. I've ordered the Traxxas TRX-4 Trail Rock Crawler Assembly Kit. That way I get the locking diffs and the 2-speed.

Thanks for all the input.

I need to get a body. Any suggestions (pics) I'm leaning towards teh TRX4 Camper body. It's the sport body with a camper shell.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OK. I've ordered the Traxxas TRX-4 Trail Rock Crawler Assembly Kit. That way I get the locking diffs and the 2-speed.

Thanks for all the input.

I need to get a body. Any suggestions (pics) I'm leaning towards teh TRX4 Camper body. It's the sport body with a camper shell.
You'll be pleased with your purchase. The TRX platform is virtually bullet proof and plenty of aftermarket and upgrade potential if you chose. I do like the Sport Camper body. It's a bit "generic", but it can be painted up to look pretty nice. Plus, Traxxas offers all the molded accessories like the grill, light buckets, lenses, tailgate, etc, which really bring the whole look up.

You could also go with a hard body if you were really going for "scale". ShrinkRC on Instagram offers mounting kits for the RC4WD bodies including the Trail Finder (Yota Hilux), the Blazer, etc.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

I went through a similar decision process earlier this year and also ended up with the TRX4 'full' kit. I wanted my kid to learn about how lockable differentials and multi-speed transmissions work. It was a great choice.

We ended up choosing the Bronco body and while it isn't cheap, it's really nice and actually not that heavy.
mash914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:49 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I have 2 bodies, the Proline 12.8 Jeep Rubicon and the TRX4 Bronco body. My favorite is the Bronco, but also Ive put a lot of time into it, so I am bias lol. Im using Postimage and cant get the pictures normal size, so they are links to the full size picture instead of thumbnail. Sorry about that, I know its annoying sometimes.

https://postimg.cc/06WmN3yT
https://postimg.cc/k62SRcVB
https://postimg.cc/kVXKq9qN
https://postimg.cc/rD9xBzXF
https://postimg.cc/cvPXJrk7
Old 12-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

I ordered the Vanquish Origin body. After ditching the Vanquish idea I realized that I really like the body. So that's why I got it.

It will be an adventure fitting it. . . .
Old 12-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I ordered the Vanquish Origin body. After ditching the Vanquish idea I realized that I really like the body. So that's why I got it.

It will be an adventure fitting it. . . .

Ahh yes, love the 1:1 Scouts!

Old 12-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Im not a fan of the vs4-10, Mostly because upgrading and shopping are a big part of the fun. Not much need for that on the vanquish.

Of course my trx4 is the most stock rig I own because all the parts are pretty decent out of the box. Mine has a mamba x and a puller pro 2200kv and holmes hobby v3 servo.

The bumpers drag on damnear everything but its ok for now. I need one rig that looks kinda realistic and is more challenging to drive.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-07-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scx10 iii, trx4, vanquish vs4-10

New Rig - Need Input - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Scale Rig - Need some input. itr1275 General Crawlers 9 12-01-2020 12:05 PM
would like your input Jay$ Newbie General 52 02-23-2012 01:47 AM
Too much for a trail rig? Need Input Bronco2x84 Axial SCX-10 28 02-22-2012 07:53 AM
need any input 93 FORD BRONCO Chit Chat 33 02-01-2010 03:20 PM
Would like your input 62PYRO Tires and Wheels 29 09-26-2007 09:06 AM