Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Trx6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Default Trx6

Hey all,
First post here,

Recently got back into the crawler game.
My buddy picked up a TRX4, so a few days later, just to be different, I grabbed a TRX6.

I have a wraith, as well. It's pretty beat up.

As for the TRX6, I am fan, but it's almost too easy! It just walks right over everything.

First and foremost, I need to figure out a better way to remove this body. I ready something about magnets doing the trick, but I haven't been able to locate a write up... or how it does the plug for the lights.

Anyone else rockin' a TRX6? What do you recommend for upgrades? How about body mods?

Oh, and I have an SCX24, AKA the Couch Crawler, that I love dearly. Haha.
RiotCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Trx6

I have not done it myself but this should help with your magnet question.

https://youtu.be/GvG9DKhO4t8

Post pics when your done!
itr1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've only done a few upgrades to mine. SSD weights/OD up front, longer Icon shocks out back, Bowhouse battery tray and better tires all around. Performs amazing, not sure what else I'd do to it other than replace the electronics when they fail.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The TRX6 is a fun rig because it can muscle up things that would stop a 4-wheel's rig.

I don't recommend magnets on crawlers, they don't hold well during rollovers.

Here is my TRX6, it might give you some ideas...

Greatscott's TRX-6
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the input guys. Went to go use the TRX6 today with a couple of friends and the motor was burned up. I literally took it out twice in the yard and it burnt up. I'm pretty unimpressed by that. I just e-mailed Traxxas explaining I expected a little durability out of a $600+ rig. A couple of -light- wheeling sessions and that was wrap. Hopefully, it was just bad luck. Oh well...
Old 11-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Even crawling in high gear, the motor should be able to take the abuse, and really is not typical for it to fail like that. Of course, that is given that you did not run the motor through water, sand, snow or mud on one of your previous runs and failed to clean it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

All your questions have been asked and answered in the TRX4 specific section below which also includes the TRX6. As for the electronics, most here will tell you the stock Traxxas steering servo, ESC and motor are marginal at best. Personally, I would not waste my time with stock replacement electronic parts even if it is still in warranty. A very popular ESC/motor upgrade for scale crawlers is the HW1080 ESC and Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 13t motor. I personally prefer to run a 9t pinion in all of my TRX4s for added low speed torque. I would recommend you spend some time reading through the posts.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-29-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I love my TRX6, it's probably one of my favorite rigs.
It's slowly become a half basher with a brushless system and it goes over everything.

I use small neodymium magnets for the rear bed, mainly because I made a custom bed out of styrene and couldn't get the body posts to work without being glued on, which eventually broke, so I ended up using the magnets.
single magnets defenitly aren't strong enough. I try not to roll my TRX6 over because the body's a shelf queen, but if it does the body usually comes off

I think 2 magnets on each side or maybe a larger one would do the trick. I did see these 1.25 in by 1/8in thick magnets that needs 17.5 lbs of force to remove. Probably too much but something similar should do the trick.

This is a good how to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqD9AJw5bA
The magnets he uses are the right size and dosen't come off on a rollover.

Other upgrades to consider,

Swap out the servo horn for a metal one as soon as you can, or it's going to bite you back when you least expect it to fail.

Servo too isn't the best, fine for trailing but not good for crawling at all. Lots of servo options to choose from.

The tires I think have the best and grippiest tread pattern Traxxas has released for crawlers yet.

The stock motor and ESC are fine, a little underpowered for my liking due to the increased size of the TRX6, but it works well.

I have seen some guys cut the stock bumpers and replace them with ones that have better approach and departure angles, so that is an option if you like the look or want to do that.
Example:

I did something a little weird with mine:
TITANIUM94010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post

That’s very creative lol I think that might just works.

Good info you have provided, thanks
JCM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Even crawling in high gear, the motor should be able to take the abuse, and really is not typical for it to fail like that. Of course, that is given that you did not run the motor through water, sand, snow or mud on one of your previous runs and failed to clean it.
Nope, I was just running it in the lawn and the motor started to give off a burning smell and the rest was history. Believe me, I would admit it if I beat the hell out of it. You should see my Wraith. In this case, it just failed upon light use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
All your questions have been asked and answered in the TRX4 specific section below which also includes the TRX6. As for the electronics, most here will tell you the stock Traxxas steering servo, ESC and motor are marginal at best. Personally, I would not waste my time with stock replacement electronic parts even if it is still in warranty. A very popular ESC/motor upgrade for scale crawlers is the HW1080 ESC and Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 13t motor. I personally prefer to run a 9t pinion in all of my TRX4s for added low speed torque. I would recommend you spend some time reading through the posts.
This was going to be my next question, I appreciate it. Also, I will dig a little deeper into the TRX4/6 section, I'm just still trying to figure out the lay of the land around here. Thank you for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
It's slowly become a half basher with a brushless system and it goes over everything.

I use small neodymium magnets for the rear bed, mainly because I made a custom bed out of styrene and couldn't get the body posts to work without being glued on, which eventually broke, so I ended up using the magnets.
single magnets defenitly aren't strong enough. I try not to roll my TRX6 over because the body's a shelf queen, but if it does the body usually comes off

I think 2 magnets on each side or maybe a larger one would do the trick. I did see these 1.25 in by 1/8in thick magnets that needs 17.5 lbs of force to remove. Probably too much but something similar should do the trick.

This is a good how to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqD9AJw5bA
The magnets he uses are the right size and dosen't come off on a rollover.

Other upgrades to consider,

Swap out the servo horn for a metal one as soon as you can, or it's going to bite you back when you least expect it to fail.

Servo too isn't the best, fine for trailing but not good for crawling at all. Lots of servo options to choose from.

The tires I think have the best and grippiest tread pattern Traxxas has released for crawlers yet.

The stock motor and ESC are fine, a little underpowered for my liking due to the increased size of the TRX6, but it works well.

I have seen some guys cut the stock bumpers and replace them with ones that have better approach and departure angles, so that is an option if you like the look or want to do that.
Example:

Very cool. I actually bought a metal horn upon purchase of the rig. I am actually leaning towards to upgrading the motor/ESC combo now. I've heard from multiple sources now that this isn't going to be the last time it'll happen.

---

I did e-mail Traxxas and explain the situation. They had me register the vehicle online w/ receipt and stuff. No problem. After that, they told me to ship it back to them with the ESC, presumably to swap it with new ones? Fix the old? I'm not sure, the email didn't specify. At any rate, they gave me an address and called it a "shipping label" but it appears that's going to be on my dime. Quite frankly, I'm unimpressed by that. I really have no allegiance to any one brand as I am fairly new to the hobby, but I do recall a few years back a friend of mine called Axial explaining motor failure and they just sent him a new one without having him jump through hoops. Again, no brand loyalty, but I do wish Traxxas had been a little more forgiving with the exchange process here.

At any rate, if this is going to turn into a whole ordeal and I'm going to end up running into this problem again, I may as well just skip the heartache and upgrade it to a brushless motor & esc... I mean... Right? It's a badass enough rig that I don't imagine I will face any disappointment once it has all the proper upgrades.

Thank again for all the input, fellas!
Old 03-29-2022, 08:48 PM   #11

hello i have trx4 and 6 too i recommend using magnet to suit body and also mine turns the led body on by itself i think the seller modded magnet to flow elc led module
AndyMoswag is offline   Reply With Quote

Trx6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx6 michaeltncrawler Tennessee 5 07-04-2020 05:58 PM
Got a new TRX6 today gcurtis2121 Traxxas Crawlers 6 02-12-2020 09:52 AM
TRX6 New Color Rockin140 Traxxas Crawlers 1 01-29-2020 01:09 AM
TRX6 New Color Rockin140 General Crawlers 9 12-12-2019 01:30 PM