Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gearing question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Gearing question

Has anyone ever ran a 18t pinion and 56t spur 32p with a HH crawl master sport 540 20t? I really love the wheel speed and it does have some torque but the motor gets warm, I have been running a 13t pinion on 56t spur.

Was wondering if this would burn out the motor quicker or tell me everything bad haha
Snowman110011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2020, 04:24 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gearing question

It would all depend on motor Temps. I think 180° was the upper limit Holmes recommends. I would run a pack through it , checking temps as you go either with a temp gun or the 5 second finger test. Keep in mind that it being winter (at least for me it is) that the motor will run hotter in the summer and could put you over if you are close.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
It would all depend on motor Temps. I think 180° was the upper limit Holmes recommends. I would run a pack through it , checking temps as you go either with a temp gun or the 5 second finger test. Keep in mind that it being winter (at least for me it is) that the motor will run hotter in the summer and could put you over if you are close.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve checked it several times and it’s never been that hot but I’ll always keep an eye on it and make sure.

Sent from an iPhone in a land far far away
Old 12-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Running a slow motor with tall gearing is the exact opposite of what Holmes has been preaching forever. You are losing torque, making the motor work harder and less efficiently, reducing brake hold, and losing low speed control. I’m not saying anything is at immediate risk of failure if temps are under control but the setup is far from optimal.

The Crawlmaster Sport is only a $20 motor, your truck will do everything better with a faster motor (like a 13T) geared down to the same amount of wheel speed you are currently enjoying.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Running a slow motor with tall gearing is the exact opposite of what Holmes has been preaching forever. You are losing torque, making the motor work harder and less efficiently, reducing brake hold, and losing low speed control. I’m not saying anything is at immediate risk of failure if temps are under control but the setup is far from optimal.

The Crawlmaster Sport is only a $20 motor, your truck will do everything better with a faster motor (like a 13T) geared down to the same amount of wheel speed you are currently enjoying.

Thanks I’m still pretty new to all this with brushed motors and trail trucks.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'd love to expand on what SVT said, but if you are running a Wraith it's a whole lot different than a TF2. Knowing what truck you running is kinda critical info.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I'd love to expand on what SVT said, but if you are running a Wraith it's a whole lot different than a TF2. Knowing what truck you running is kinda critical info.

It’s on a Axial SCX10.2 kit trans with 3 piece Ar44s Stock trans and diff gears Bpc chassis

Old 12-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman110011 View Post
It’s on a Axial SCX10.2 kit trans with 3 piece Ar44s Stock trans and diff gears Bpc chassis
You probably need to figure out your final drive ratio. Then determine what motor you need.

Another option is you could contact HH. They have a recommended motor table (https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations) or I'm sure you could ask him directly. A lot of these places are serviced by the owner.
itr1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itr1275 View Post
You probably need to figure out your final drive ratio. Then determine what motor you need.

Another option is you could contact HH. They have a recommended motor table (https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations) or I'm sure you could ask him directly. A lot of these places are serviced by the owner.

Looking at the motor chart on HH website the motor I have is one of the slower motors, I’ve been running it on 3s the motor barley gets warm, still has great low speed control and torque, it’s not super fast but it runs a lil faster than the 13t pinion

Gearing question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gearing question Scx10usmc Axial Wraith 5 07-11-2015 07:45 PM
gearing question? skidtoy Formula Offroad 13 11-16-2014 10:44 PM
gearing question american redneck Newbie General 17 10-18-2012 03:38 PM
gearing question davidyack Newbie General 8 01-09-2011 12:14 PM
gearing question? SUPERCLODBUS Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 07-25-2008 06:53 PM