Notices

Thread: Build Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
rc8

Default Build Kit

Hi.

Thinking starting with a build kit.

How is the Enduro Gatekeeper build kit for newbies. Are there electronics to complete this build available that don’t require soldering.

I look at the instruction manual and it only mentions lipo batteries. Will you be able to put in a nimh battery, anyone who has this kit.

Thanks.

Last edited by rc8; 12-25-2020 at 09:40 AM.
rc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Build Kit

AE puts out pretty good instructions, 95% of my Enduro build was straight forward, and the instructions were clear. The only problem I ran into, likely will on the Gatekeeper is the transmission build; it got a little confusing when it came to which gears went where for the overdrive.

Most aftermarket ESCs you get will require at least a battery connector to be put on. If you have a LHS around you, ask if they will put a connector on the ESC for if you buy it from them.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc8 View Post
Hi.

Thinking starting with a build kit.

How is the Enduro Gatekeeper build kit for newbies. Are there electronics to complete this build available that don’t require soldering.

I look at the instruction manual and it only mentions lipo batteries. Will you be able to put in a nimh battery, anyone who has this kit.

Thanks.
A couple things to be aware of with the Gatekeeper...

It has a "Shorty" style battery tray, and there are no NiMH batteries in the shape and size of a LiPo Shorty pack.

It's a pet peeve of mine when a manufacturer doesn't make it clear that a model requires these non-standard sized packs - the RTR description makes no mention of it on most websites but the kit page at RPP Hobby lists as an item needed to complete as: "One 2-cell or 3-cell shorty LiPo battery pack"

Standard, non-Shorty LiPos and 6-cell NiMH batteries tend to be roughly the same size and are what most crawlers use, however.

Also, many of the plastic parts in the Gatekeeper are made of Element's harder gray plastic, which will require a bit more torque when threading bolts in it than their standard black plastic.

As far as soldering - at the RPP Hobby website there are quite a few ESCs with battery connectors AND motor connectors:

The Carisma ARC-2 has an XT60 battery connector.

The cheaper of the 2 Dynamite ESCs has an EC3 battery connector.

The more expensive Dynamite ESC has an IC3 battery connector.

The Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 has a Tamiya battery connector, which is what most cheap NiMH battery packs use.

The Reedy SC480X uses a Deans-style T-connector for the battery.

And finally, the Spektrum Firma 40 Amp 2-in-1 ESC and Receiver uses an IC3 battery connector.

All the above are pretty inexpensive.

I will tell you that you are losing out on a lot if you are planning on staying with NiMH batteries - they are less powerful and typically provide less runtime than LiPo packs, and modern LiPos and chargers make the use and maintenance of your higher-performing batteries very simple.

Pick up a couple Shorty LiPo packs (if you are going with the Gatekeeper) that have the correct connector type for your ESC, and a decent charger and you'll be good to go.

All I do for maintenance is when I come home from running my crawlers is put the batteries on and select my storage charge setting and let them charge up to that predetermined level, then take them off and I'm done with them.

Don't leave them in a garage or outside, or in your crawler (or in your 1:1 car or truck!).

I picked up a cheap LiPo bag, that's one of the safest ways to store them.

Last edited by durok; 12-25-2020 at 01:51 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
rc8

Thank you Durok.

Appreciate all this info you researched. I'm thinking that nimh batteries are more safe to store and willing to take the bite in performance.
I watched some vids of lipo batteries exploding in lipo bags and ammo cases. Still look pretty dangerous to me.
rc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thank you Durok.

Appreciate all this info you researched. I'm thinking that nimh batteries are more safe to store and willing to take the bite in performance.
I watched some vids of lipo batteries exploding in lipo bags and ammo cases. Still look pretty dangerous to me.
I would not worry about it. I have been using soft case lipos for the past few years and not had any issues. I think as long as you take a bit of care and dispose of any heavily damaged batteries you will be fine.

In fact, the only battery I have had blow up on me was a 7 cell NiMH. Not sure exactly what happened but about half of the cells expanded quite a bit, left a burnt smell, melted the Velcro straps and into the battery tray. This was when my crawler had the battery plugged in but the ESC in the off position. I had walked away and came back to smoke.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm thinking that nimh batteries are more safe to store and willing to take the bite in performance.
Lipos are very safe when used & handled properly. You have a cell phone, right? They are powered by either lipo batteries or lithium-ion batteries. We're far more careless with our phones than our hobby batteries. Get a good, reliable charger, go lower than the max charging rate for your particular pack & don't charge puffed/damaged packs.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote

Build Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 02-25-2018 09:30 AM
SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 09:02 PM
My SCX10 II Kit Build w/ Pics (First Ever Kit Build) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 08:54 PM
Axial Yeti XL Kit - My first kit build vashan Axial Yeti XL 19 09-01-2015 04:46 PM
1.9 scale build options - Hilux kit, RC4WD kit, or piece together my own? Nova's Ark General Scale Talk 8 06-12-2008 10:24 AM