Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default First Comp

Hey guys, going to my first comp/meet up Saturday and wanted to see if you guys had any tips or could answer any of my questions.

Rules. Are there any rules that are at every comp/meetup?
Workbench. What do you guys take/not take?
I seen on one rules post they made for a crawl back in November that you have to use winches/tow ropes to get unstuck and I don’t have any of that. I’m hope someone else will and will help me lol.
Should I do anything special to my rig other than take my lightest body?

I’m overall nervous. Am I overthinking it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 12-24-2020 at 07:40 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: First Comp

Workbench I can answer I suppose. I have an old camera backpack and I put an extra transmitter, receiver, esc, servo, nut driver for the wheels, extra aa batteries, extra 2s lipo, tape, all of the common hex drivers I usually grab, spare hex pins and hexes, body clips, zip ties, camera, water, granola bar, car keys...and wear it every time I hike with my truck. I also keep some carabiner clips so I can hook the truck to it if things go south.

That sounds heavy but it’s not bad and I’m decent shape
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Phil! Some of that stuff I didn’t even think about! I’ll have to throw in some extra cash as well in case something catches my eye for sale lmao.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:12 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Go to have fun and meet some new people. If you run shorty packs, make sure you have 3 or 4, and put a new pack in for every course. I personally only do minor fixes at a comp, if something major breaks I call it quits for the day.
rob5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default First Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post
Go to have fun and meet some new people. If you run shorty packs, make sure you have 3 or 4, and put a new pack in for every course. I personally only do minor fixes at a comp, if something major breaks I call it quits for the day.

I’m finally digging into this hobby social wise, and it’s very awesome!

Here’s my backpack so far:
2 2s lipos
Hex set
Box wrench
Xacto knife
Zip ties
Grease
Lexan scissors
2 extra servo horns
Extra screws/nuts
4 AA batteries
Electrical tape

Missing anything I should take?

Old 12-25-2020, 05:52 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Servo horns and screws is not a bad idea. Adding to my list

If the grease is bulky/heavy leave that at home, more of a maintenance than a repair item

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I haven't run comps before but I see no reason to take grease, lexan scissors, nor an x-acto. Only reason to have grease would be if you were also taking a new gear set or some other new part that would require grease. I would get everything lubed up at home beforehand. As for the scissors, you shouldn't need to trim anything as long as you've cycled your suspension at home and know that your body won't need any additional trimming. The #11 xacto... just dangerous to have out on the trail.. even with a cap on it. I would however take some sort of multi-tool if you have one and a nice compact and very sharp pocket-knife.

Whether camping, full size off-roading, fishing, running RC rigs, etc... Many years of doing these things, I have learned:

> Maintain as much equipment as possible before heading out so that it minimizes parts and tools that you have to bring along. Also make sure to to check/ tighten and thread-lock any hard parts before you go... mainly wheel nuts and servo-horn screws.

> Any parts that you do take along, make sure that you have the tools and knowledge to do the repair or replace the broken part. Remember that you can have every tool and spare part in the world but w/o the knowledge to address the issue, those parts and tools won't help. Obviously there will be people that can help you but don't expect others to fix your junk out on the trail. Observe what other people have with them when you're at the event. Take mental notes so that you can plan more efficiently next time that you go.

> Other basic things maybe worth considering to take with you:

* Fully charged cellphone
* Sunglasses and hat w/ brim or bill
* Xtra pair of socks and shoes
* Water or Gatorade ( Put in the freezer shortly before you depart)
* Paper towels
* Backpack
* Few Ziplock bags
* First-aid type of kit ( but only with things that you might use like sunblock, toilet paper, band-aids, aspirin, etc)
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Add to the above mentioned by everyone:

Diagonal side cutters to cut zip ties.
Loctite.
Small portable charger (leave that in your car and don't carry it with you on the trail).
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Agreed on the no exacto knife/body scissors. Seems like that would segue into a first aid kit following some frantic trail side body trimming lol
Old 12-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default First Comp

Yeah the only reason I’m taking Lexan scissors is because I’m taking out a new body and not sure how bad it’ll rub. I’ll do all that trimming today so I can leave them behind though. As far as grease, I don’t see a reason either, apparently I want to have a heavier bag lmao.

Thank you everyone, especially HPD for the responses! It’s greatly appreciated.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

My back pack is stuffed full of crap. Not for comps though, just for afternoon runs in the woods. I bring lots of tools, parts, about 12 batteries, and a shot gun. Gotta be prepared for anything.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

What's the shot gun for, cheaters?
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

On the trail gotta worry about wildlife and at a meet unfortunately the world we live in today it’s not a bad idea. I carry a M&P 40 daily.

I’ve never been to a comp, there’s a lot of good ideas on here but the one thing I think I’d add would be some gears. Coarse could be very tight and technical or a lot of open space between gates. A 2 speed might not need spare gears though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austin-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Super excited for tomorrow! I’ll have an update on how it goes. I have ditched some things like lexan scissors and Xacto and put in some things like miniature side cutters and a Leatherman.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:28 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-92 View Post
On the trail gotta worry about wildlife and at a meet unfortunately the world we live in today it’s not a bad idea. I carry a M&P 40 daily.

I’ve never been to a comp, there’s a lot of good ideas on here but the one thing I think I’d add would be some gears. Coarse could be very tight and technical or a lot of open space between gates. A 2 speed might not need spare gears though.

I carry a knife with me everywhere I go, weather it be the store or the beach....Well, maybe not the beach but everywhere else lol.

I don’t have many spares, but what I do have that I may need I’m taking! I’d hate for something to break and the replacement be back at home.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
I carry a knife with me everywhere I go, weather it be the store or the beach....Well, maybe not the beach but everywhere else lol.

I don’t have many spares, but what I do have that I may need I’m taking! I’d hate for something to break and the replacement be back at home.

Gun laws are pretty tight on that rock you call home aren’t they? Lol knife better than nothing.

austin-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-92 View Post
Gun laws are pretty tight on that rock you call home aren’t they? Lol knife better than nothing.

Yeah, very very strict. So strict in fact that you aren’t even allowed to carry, but a lot still do.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I carry my sccy 9mm everyday. But every great once in awhile i carry my berretta 40.

Id love to go to a comp for the fun factor. They used to have them at mt cheaha state park, but idk if they still do. N theres some up around huntsville, but thats 3 hrs one way for me
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #19
Gold Star Baby!

Take a reverse instead of hitting the gate
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:30 PM   #20
RCC Addict

There’s a YouTube channel, crawler75 I think, worth watching to see some actual comp driving. Some of the videos show time and scoring. Interesting some of the strategy used to minimize penalties. It’s also interesting to see how poorly some these “comp” trucks perform.

Never been to a comp before, but it sounds interesting.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote

First Comp - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Las Vegas Nevada Comp #3 Cliff Shadows Drive Comp Site LetsHandleit Nevada 0 05-23-2011 07:43 PM
St. George Utah, SinCity Comp #2 February 26 2011, Area 51 Comp Site LetsHandleit Competitions 30 02-25-2011 10:19 PM
Comp #5 July 11th Rock State Park (Scale Run Before Comp) MDcrawler72 Maryland 0 06-20-2010 06:01 AM
For guys running vanquish pro comp wheels on your comp trucks, please read. C_Money Tires and Wheels 18 03-24-2010 08:20 PM
Twisted/MiRCa Comp November 15th New Location for comp in BROWN CITY twistedone Michigan 34 11-16-2009 10:03 AM