Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gettting into crawling and batteries question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Default Gettting into crawling and batteries question

I would like to get back into RC's sometime next year, I had a Slash previously but with no real place to use it I ended up selling it. I do have space to use a crawler and I've always wanted a squarebody truck. I'd like to eventually make the RC I get a squarebody truck. I have a general understanding of RC's, I've watched a lot of videos for many years.

I really like the squarebody trucks that I see from ScaleMonkey on Youtube and those primarily are what I'm shooting for. I understand they are on the TF2 chassis and are modified hardbodies. From my research though, seems like the SCX10ii is more user friendly for a beginner and I like the look of the regular axles over the portal axles found on the SCX10iii and TRX 4's.

The slashes I had I just ran the stock nihm batteries and it was enough for me. I'd like to stay away from Lipos if possible, they're just too complex for what I want to take on, mainly I don't want to have to remember to drain a battery to a storage voltage and charge it and use it within 3 days, I'm very much a spontaneous user when it came to my previous RC. But I can't really find much info about crawling on nihm batteries. I'm sure its doable, I'd just like to know which batteries to look at to get maybe 1/2 hour run times while crawling. What suggestions for nihm batteries are out there? I'm just looking to mess around with climbing stuff in the woods and dried up creek beds. No competition or long trail runs.
Hannibal802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gettting into crawling and batteries question

Check the 6-cell (not the 7-cell) packs between 300mAh and 5000mAh packs here for a decent selection:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/37.htm

they should fit most standard crawlers - there are some designed for so-called "Shorty" LiPo packs where these will be too long, so (for example) they will not work in a Element Gatekeeper or an Axial Capra.

Still, I highly recommend going ahead and making the switch to LiPo, you'll love them.

I am coincidentally placing storage charges on the 2 LiPo packs that I took out crawling over the weekend - it took all of me switching on my charger, selecting "Storage", and pressing one button.

A few moments later, they were done.

You've probably read up on them a bit, but here's an excellent clear delineation of the advantages:

https://www.eurorc.com/page/69/diffe...lipo-batteries
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Not to sway you to lipo's. But I'm still relatively new to the rc hobby and I was pretty nervous about them. I can say there not to difficult overall. I don't have a charger that has a storage charge feature and its never been an issue as far as keeping them charged properly. Just getting yourself a means to check the cells is you really need.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
talltee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have lipos I rarely remember to storage charge and work just fine after months and months.

In fact, I just charged the LiPo in my dx7s which has sat for atleast 7 years dead and it took a charge just fine.

Lipos aren't scary, sure there are edge cases and bad manufacturing, bad practices etc. but my laptop, Nintendo Switch, Phone, headphones, vape, well you get the picture, ALL contain lipo batteries.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Most devices are running lithium ion, polymer is not as common yet. Still wouldn’t worry about them though. I charge mine, run them, let them sit a few days, hit them with a storage charge, charge them a week later...I used to be super anal about discharging, balancing, yada yada but now I just balance them whenever I remember which isn’t often. I do charge and store them inside an old metal tool box though.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Most devices are running lithium ion, polymer is not as common yet. Still wouldn’t worry about them though. I charge mine, run them, let them sit a few days, hit them with a storage charge, charge them a week later...I used to be super anal about discharging, balancing, yada yada but now I just balance them whenever I remember which isn’t often. I do charge and store them inside an old metal tool box though.
Identical cathodes and anodes, same amount of electrolyte in both.

Lithium Polymer is actually safer, less risk of electrolytes leaking.

Didn't think it was necessary to mention that all those devices have more dangerous batteries then our toys but I guess it was.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The Axial SCX10ii ESC comes with an ESC that can do either Lipo or Nickle. So there is nothing wrong with using a NiMh battery however they are generally much heavier than Lipo's for the same amount of energy.

I think the Nickle batteries recommended earlier would work fine, however based on your complaints/concerns that you had with running Lipo, I would say you can look into getting the new Spektrum smart Lipo batteries. They have a chip in them that will "smart discharge" to storage after a set number of days.

So if you want "easy to use" lipo then you want the Spektrum smart Lipo. however that convenience comes at a premium price. You'll need a charge that works with their smart Lipos and their batteries are also more expensive.

That being said, I use a 5000 mah battery and I can take my SCX10ii on a 2 hour walk. So you can get a smaller Nickle battery and get half an hour run time pretty easily.
AC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Let me make this easy. Find a crawler you like that can run/fit a three cell lipo 2200mah battery. They are by far the MOST popular size lipo battery in the RC community (notice I said RC, not specifically RC Crawler). Buy a $10 surplus ammo can. Buy whatever middle-of-the-road charger you like. The 3S 2200 are so popular and so cheap, it doesn’t matter if you don’t storage charge them. Store it in the ammo can for your safety comfort level, storage charge it if you want.......or not.

If the battery goes bad, don’t worry, you can pick one up on sale the next day for about $13-15 SHIPPED to your door. I have some 2200 lipos that are over 10 years old and believe me they were not put into storage charge within three days of using the pack. I pretty much put them into storage mode at the end of flying season and that’s about it. More expensive batteries, yes I’m “usually” more diligent but if forget or want to leave a battery at full charge incase I want to go flying/crawling I do.

This will get you use to and comfortable with lipo batteries. From there, you’re comfort level will progress and you’ll buy other size lipos for future products. We all went through the learning curve. Lipos are the most popular for a reason.

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 12-28-2020 at 08:59 PM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Gettting into crawling and batteries question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nimh batteries for crawling Kweez Electronics 4 06-04-2019 07:55 AM
Question about batteries d_j_stockton Redcat Crawlers 21 01-04-2013 02:57 PM
how do you charge your batteries when your out crawling? Physical Terrorist Newbie General 21 01-17-2011 12:54 PM
Hitech 7955TG gettting pretty warm jr104 Electronics 8 04-29-2010 08:45 AM
batteries for crawling johnnybrcman7 Newbie General 7 03-04-2008 11:44 AM