Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: NiMh Battery for Axial SCX10 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
rc8

Default NiMh Battery for Axial SCX10 II

Whats a good nimh battery for the SCX10 II. 5/6 cell with IC3 connector. Quite vague as to requirements in the manual. A couple recommendations.

Thanks
rc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: NiMh Battery for Axial SCX10 II

Well for starters, don't waste your time with anything 5 cell, that would be uselessly low voltage. If you're adamant about staying NiMH then go for a minimum 6cell, 7 , 8 or even 9 (I don't know if they actually make those sizes, I quit thinking about NiMH in 2010) would be better. As far as capacity, I don't think capacity affects weight as much on Nickel batts as it does on LiPo so you might as well go for something 4000mAh or higher.

But.

Are you absolutely sure you don't want to use LiPo? Using NiMH in a new rig is roughly akin to putting a beat up old carbureted 350 into 2021 truck. It'll work, but wow that's old and crappy.

Don't let the internet scare you into thinking LiPo's are ultra dangerous. Almost every case of LiPo fires I've ever encountered had some level of operator error. They are IMMENSELY better than NiMH batteries, IMMENSELY.

Connectors is a whole other subject that I don't have time to delve into right now, but you should consider ditching the ic3 and going dean's or xt60.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The best NiMH you can get is called a lipo
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
rc8

I'm purchasing lipos to run the rig outdoors. I'm storing them at my storage unit in lipo bags.

But for testing/ running/ storing indoors at home, I'm going to get a nimh. If that makes any sense.

As for connectors, I'm clueless at the moment. I'm enrolled at You Tube RC school. lol. Just want everything to plug and play while learning the ropes.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc8 View Post
But for testing/ running/ storing indoors at home, I'm going to get a nimh. If that makes any sense.
To be honest, no, that doesn't make sense. LiPo is fine for all of that stuff as well. Take care of your LiPos and they won't self destruct.

Use XT60 connectors. They are the new standard.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm purchasing lipos to run the rig outdoors. I'm storing them at my storage unit in lipo bags.

As for connectors, I'm clueless at the moment. I'm enrolled at You Tube RC school. lol. Just want everything to plug and play while learning the ropes.

Thanks.
All battery chemistries are dangerous if improperly handled. While lipos do required a bit more care and feeding when compared to NiMH, they are no more dangerous.

Back, many, many moons ago, lipo chemistry could get a little upset with the slightest bit of abuse, but today's lipo, bought from a reputable vendor like SMC, are safe you use just about anywhere.

The same precautions you take with lipo are the same you take with NiMH, unplug them when not in use, store then properly, and treat them like the ocean when you are charging them. It over 10 years of using lipos, only once did I see one actually go nuclear, and that was because someone accidently shorted the lead wires via a heat sink. Never have I seen, or heard of a lipo getting energetically unhappy at rest.

The issue with the Samsung Galaxy Note7's battery was due to is battery supplier trying to pad its profit by using old chemistry to make their packs, and is not typical of today's lipo packs.

Last edited by Greatscott; 12-29-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Thanks.
To me it does make sense. I run LiPo all the time but have one (1) NiMH I use for bench testing. It is a 6cell 3000mAh, probably getting close to 10 years old (I had it given to me, used), and is always sitting on my RC workbench. Saves having to pull a LiPo out of storage just to do some testing. Don't use it a lot so probably only gets charged a couple of times a year. IIRC it would lose about 1% of its charge per day and I haven't seen mine drop below 6V in all the time I've had it.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Why not just leave a lipo on your bench like you do the nimh
Old 12-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Why not just leave a lipo on your bench like you do the nimh
Well, let's just say I lean way over to the conservative side. Store my LiPos at storage voltage, in a LiPo bag, in a metal ammo can, on the basement concrete floor. Comes with old age, probably reflecting on the crazy things we did in our younger days and wondering how we managed to still be on the green side.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
Well, let's just say I lean way over to the conservative side. Store my LiPos at storage voltage, in a LiPo bag, in a metal ammo can, on the basement concrete floor. Comes with old age, probably reflecting on the crazy things we did in our younger days and wondering how we managed to still be on the green side.
Cell phones must really freak you out then.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
rc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Cell phones must really freak you out then.
But I don't know anyone pushing lipo safety bags for cell phone batteries.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

If you absolutely MUST go NiMH...

Here are all the 5000mAh NiMH packs at RPP Hobby:

https://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/...search=%205000

I personally would get a 6-cell, as the 7-cell adds weight up higher, and depending on the vehicle might not fit anyway.

I'd personally get the Venom, as their UNI plug system has adaptors for nearly every connector type:

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/vnr1548.htm
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I second the Venom batteries. I ran a few of them in my bashers I had before I got bit by the crawler bug, and they are a really good, powerful battery. I personally ran the 7-Cell 4200mah 8.4v hump pack, and it was pretty good for $42. It came with a bunch of different adapters so that’s also a plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Venom has good customer service too. I had one that started failing on me that was almost 1 year old, and they replaced it no questions asked (other then a pic of it). Then i cut open the other ones i had and made 2 9 packs. Charged higher then a 3s lipo, as it wouldn't work in one of my 3 cell limited escs. This was a while ago, but I'd assume they'd still have a good warranty.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Don’t let everyone flame you into using lipos . A few years ago I was using lipos and had one blowup on me destroying my brand new associated rc10t . And have sworn them off ever since . Yes lipos are awesome for high speed stuff like racing or bashing but in a trail/crawling truck nimh is perfectly fine . I do agree with them to use Venom packs . I use 6 cell 3000 mah in my tf2s and I get an hour of good trail time .;
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #16
rc8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb4pro View Post
Don’t let everyone flame you into using lipos . A few years ago I was using lipos and had one blowup on me destroying my brand new associated rc10t . And have sworn them off ever since . Yes lipos are awesome for high speed stuff like racing or bashing but in a trail/crawling truck nimh is perfectly fine . I do agree with them to use Venom packs . I use 6 cell 3000 mah in my tf2s and I get an hour of good trail time .;
I checked online the venom nimh batteries with universal plugs. SCX10 II manual says need a IC3 connector. I see a ec3 connector included with the battery. Do that mean I have to buy an ic3 adaptor.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Yes just get the correct connector and make sure to switch the esc pin over to the nimh settings .
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Default NiMh Battery for Axial SCX10 II

Quote:
I checked online the venom nimh batteries with universal plugs. SCX10 II manual says need a IC3 connector. I see a ec3 connector included with the battery. Do that mean I have to buy an ic3 adaptor.

Yeah you can use the EC3 with the IC3

EDIT: you’ll lose the SMART function, but it will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

BTW - LiPos tend to get much more highly stressed in a high-speed vehicle, they dump faster and that can make them heat up.

Frankly, that's why I don't worry about using them in my crawlers - it's less stressful, you can run lower "C" ratings - meaning cheaper packs...

I always check the temp (just by feel, no big drama with a temp gun) on any new rig after a few minutes of running in case there's major binding in the drivetrain or shitty gearing choices were made during any modifications that DO make the pack run too hot.

That's basically it when it comes to my worrying about LiPos!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

NiMh Battery for Axial SCX10 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axial YETI & NIMH battery le varan Axial Yeti 29 04-10-2015 01:26 AM
nimh battery ??? The Violator Electronics 2 12-26-2011 07:15 PM
Low cg battery plate nimh battery aej_27 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 01-17-2011 08:44 AM