Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie looking for advice: quiet electronic combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #1

Default Newbie looking for advice: quiet electronic combo

Hi everyone,
My wife and I discovered a local hobby store by accident and walked in out of curiosity. One rock crawling experience later on one of their rental cars, we walked out with the SCX10 iii kit. We've been chipping away at it bit by bit. It's been awesome where RC kit building counts as quality time!

I'm getting to the point where I need to pick out my electronics. Doing some research, it seems like a Holmes Hobby brushed motor and 1080 ESCs are pretty well regarded for a build for new people like me. One thing criteria I'm looking for is quietness. We like the rock crawling aspect but I think we'll be taking it out on some easy hiking trails more often and I don't want the noise to big a major nuisance to others.

Any suggestions on a motor/esc/servo combination that's good for quiet running while having enough power to do some rock crawling? Not looking to compete with it or anything like that. I'm planning on getting a 11 tooth pinion gear for the motor, 3S batteries and flysky gt5 radio set.

thanks!
Obi2winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newbie looking for advice: quiet electronic combo

Your on the right track.

The 1080 esc has various frequency options, certain ones being less noticeable to the human ear.

If you want quiet, don't get a Savox servo as it's about guaranteed to be the loudest part of the truck. I'm a servo killer, so I pick servos based on strength and long-term durability. The Promodeler 470 is not only durable and strong, but also silent under anything less than full load. The 630 is stronger, but does make a but more noise.

Motor options are almost endless these days. I run a variety of Holmes motors in the fleet. Budget friendly options I'd suggest range from crawlmaster sport 16t to trail master sport 35t.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #3

I will definitely second the advice to avoid Savox servos if quiet is your thing.
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yup, the 1080 with a brushed Holmes motor will likely be the quietest combo you can get.

For servos, as mentioned, avoid Savox, probably avoid the Holmes servo too.

I've run a few JX or PowerHD servos from Amazon/Aliexpress and they're pretty good.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run my 10.3 using a 27t HH Torquemaster Pro, HW1080 and a ProTek 170TBL servo. The electronics themselves are very quiet.

The drivetrain and transmission will also cause some noise. I built my kit with the included black grease but plan on replacing that with marine grease on my next transmission teardown.

Overall, my 10.3 is the quietest of my rigs, I also run an Element Enduro and a VS4-10.

The 10.3 is a great kit, you will have a lot of fun with it!
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Aloha and welcome to the crawling world!

I agree with the other crawlers you can't go wrong with the
HobbyWing 1080 its cheap $40 and super reliable and quiet
also the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL quiet and programmable.

I also exclusively for brushed motors I use Holmes Hobbies Tourquemaster Pro/ Custom Pro and Magnum and also for servos I use Reefs they are quiet and powerful...

Don't get me wrong I have comp rigs using Castle ESC's Mamba X and Mamba Micro X and they are annoyingly loud as well as the brushless sensored motors but they have their place.

But my favorite combo is th Holmes esc and Motors and Reefs servos very Quiet /Powerful / Durable....

BUZZZZZ.....
Attached Images

Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #7

Thank you all for the advice!
I'll see if the local hobby store has anything that's been suggested. If they don't have it, I might end up getting the best they have for my purpose, just so that I can support them and form a nice relationship with them. And I can always swap out parts. If I end up with an extra servo and motor, I'll just have to buy a "few more" missing parts and I'll have a second truck
Old 01-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi2winky View Post
Thank you all for the advice!
I'll see if the local hobby store has anything that's been suggested. If they don't have it, I might end up getting the best they have for my purpose, just so that I can support them and form a nice relationship with them. And I can always swap out parts. If I end up with an extra servo and motor, I'll just have to buy a "few more" missing parts and I'll have a second truck

Good call on developing a relationship with your LHS. That's what got me through my first few years and helped me learn countless things. My LHS and this forum were the only resources I had to help me figure what works in this very niche segment of the rc world. Sadly that LHS has gone out of business now because not enough people shared my appreciation for supporting them.

Depending what they stock (many shops don't stock HW gear) a Castle Sidewinder 3 or 4 would be a good choice as well. The 4 would be the better option of those two and you'll probably need a bec with either of them, but the SW works really with brushed motors. The 4 can also run outrunner (like the HH Revolver) motors well. Hitec servos are quite commonly stocked at many places and they'd be a good choice for a servo (just don't get the HS645-MG, it's not quite strong enough).
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:55 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

For quiet operation and ease of install I would suggest looking into the Hobbywing Fusion. It's an all in one system so you don't even have to mount an ESC. I just installed one in my SCX10ii and it is literally dead silent. You'll hear noise from the gears in the transmission before you hear that motor and esc.

It also keeps the weight all in the centre of the truck and it's all sealed up. I can't say enough good things about the Fusion. I have really enjoyed it and thus far it has not had any issues with temperature. The low speed control is also amazing.
AC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Bonus on the Fusion - the feature on Hobbywing's website is a hoot to read. As in "the motor to make the quiet sound therefore to not annoying the driver"
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Bonus on the Fusion - the feature on Hobbywing's website is a hoot to read. As in "the motor to make the quiet sound therefore to not annoying the driver"

Thankfully what this proves is that they aren’t just a bunch of English majors trying to make hobby motors.

I do agree that their website would use a little proof reading. But if you can get past that they really do make a great motor.
My fusion has already lasted longer than my brothers castle mamba x.
That thing was junk and the ESC blew up in a week. Castle support has been less than spectacular. I know people love them but I have yet to see the magic out of the castle camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC49 View Post
Thankfully what this proves is that they aren’t just a bunch of English majors trying to make hobby motors.

I do agree that their website would use a little proof reading. But if you can get past that they really do make a great motor.
My fusion has already lasted longer than my brothers castle mamba x.
That thing was junk and the ESC blew up in a week. Castle support has been less than spectacular. I know people love them but I have yet to see the magic out of the castle camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh trust me I was just being funny, language is not a barrier/guage/quality meter at all. If I tried to sell something and wrote the ad in Mandarin Chinese I'm sure they would be laughing their asses off and wondering exactly what I was trying to sell...
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I have a HW 1080 / Holmes brushed motor setup in one rig and it's great as well as decently quiet. I installed a HW Fusion system in another rig of mine and was blown away by how quiet it is, like crazy quiet. I love both systems but if I had to chose one it would be the Fusion. Super quiet, crazy smooth, and both low end torque and fast wheel speed when needed.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #14

Ended up getting the Hobbywing motor with the FOC. Unfortunately I had to settle with a Savox servo due to what was in stock and budget (battery charger, radio transmitter, receiver.... talk about a wallet stomp!).

The hobby store dude let me drive one of his own scx10 iii with the same motor and I really liked it. He also had slightly more pricey Savox servo but the noise wasn't too annoying. Hopefully will be up and driving monday! thanks again!
Old 01-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #15

Welcome to the hobby the iii is a good choice one of the better rigs out there, now be prepared for the money pit as you will undoubtedly need a second rig for your wife and then you'll want to upgrade parts like tyres ect. Then another car to do different things and so on.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Alec4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec4now View Post
Welcome to the hobby the iii is a good choice one of the better rigs out there, now be prepared for the money pit as you will undoubtedly need a second rig for your wife and then you'll want to upgrade parts like tyres ect. Then another car to do different things and so on.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm already wanting to build something from a GSpeed 6x6 chassis!

Newbie looking for advice: quiet electronic combo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building my first rc. Need electronic advice. chrisbrittian Newbie General 10 11-19-2015 06:18 PM
Newbie advice please Tbone Newbie General 9 08-13-2009 06:49 PM
newbie need advice boo_saa Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 13 03-06-2009 12:53 PM
ax10 artr electronic suggestions...please help i'm newbie.... DAN8701 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 08-26-2008 09:38 AM
Is this a good electronic combo for clod Brandon M Newbie General 2 02-07-2007 07:46 PM