Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Upgrading my Noob Tool Set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Upgrading my Noob Tool Set

I too have been debating upgrading my RC tools for a long time, but have not made any purchases yet. I work on my RCs a minimal amount, but do a few minor customizations and repairs as needed.

I was a little shocked how much the top quality tool sets sell for. I don't think I work on RCs enough to justify the price, but I do realize that when dealing with 1.5 and 2mm hex bolts, you don't want your tool to be made of soft metal.

I saw the Bowhouse all-in-one tool recommended, and it is a nice little setup, since you can use the tips in a power driver with a 1/4" chuck as well. It did look familiar, and sure enough, it is a re-labeled Banggood special. So, if you don't mind waiting a couple months, you can order straight from China for a little less.

https://bowhouserc.com/bowhouse-rc-all-in-one-tool/

https://www.banggood.com/RJX-RJX2694...rmmds=category

Last edited by rkj__; 03-11-2021 at 01:03 PM.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
Im a bit of RC tool collector (Craftsman and harbor freight in 1:1 )

I have:

Everything MIP makes except turnbuckle wrenches and couple misc drivers
Everything Vanquish Makes
Most of Locked Up
Old school knurled Dynamites
Old school Integy

MIP are no doubt the best in fitment, you wont strip screws. I have never had durability issues, but i take care installing screws and heating to remove if loctite. Extended wrench times can get cumbersome being fluted. But thats where speed tips come in

Vanquish as mentioned is absolutely amazing and the bearing cap is fantastic when really laying down screws. Most comfortable without question. Again, no durability issues, but I have seen other have problems especially with the 1.5 tips.

Locked up, I started with their scale tools and picked up some others. very nice feel like the dynamites (again the old ones) and very affordable for the quality. I will place tips in the VP handles for assembling beadlocks with lots of screws though.

Old school knurled dynamite, absolutely fantastic. I only have the basic metric and standard set, but I like how short they are, pretty much round with a little extra grip and I think their tips are the same as MIP in tolerance. These things have not let me down in what seems like 15 years maybe.

Integy.... Another 15+ yr old set. The handles are typical integy quality as the tips dont point straight but they hold lol. The tips though, are actually very impressive in how they hold a tight fit in screws and dont round out.

Im not sure what youre wanting to spend but great drivers are not that expensive. I use MIP daily just because I have them and a cool stand i made . Vanquish is mostly because ill collect almost anything that says Vanquish because im a "fanboi", but the handles are amazing. Locked up is used for scale hardware duties. Dynamite and integy are small sets for camping and hitting the trails...... Hope that helps. I dont have experience with any others except Losi which I would not recommend.

So the Locked Up tips fit in the vanquish handles?

If that’s the case I’ll get some to try
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:17 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Don't forget a good quality open/close ended 5,5mm wrench to tighten or hold those M3 locknut. don't use those stamped steel multiple ended wrench that usually sold at RC store. Get the quality brand tools specific for those size, it is so much better. The one I have is a combination open ended wrench with 5,5mm and 7mm end, works for M3 and M4 nuts/bolts.
Yudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quick update. Got my Vanquish metric hex driver set the other day to replace the MIPs that 2 of the tips snapped off of. Everything about the Vanquish drivers screams quality. I put them to work straight away and here are some of my thoughts. Good heft to them which feels great. All of the handles and shafts are the same length which I prefer over various handle thicknesses, lengths, and shaft lengths of the MIP drivers. Super precise tips. Handles are easily the most comfortable in the hand of any I’ve used. PEPLACEABLE tips if ever needed. Bearing end caps have really nice tolerance. Overall, if you were wearing a blindfold and someone put a Vanquish driver in your hand you would immediately know that you’re holding a no compromise high quality tool. Time will tell how well they hold up, but my expectations are very high.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I have been using the ProTek tools for a few months this now and have been loving them. Haven't noticed any tip wear on them so far and even bought some singles of the ProTek drivers just so I could put my Lockedup RC scale hex drivers in them and leave them in. I am pretty OCD about matching things haha.i would definitely recommend the protek stuff and as many people have commented about MIP having bad customer service on here I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone now because of that.
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Upgrading my Noob Tool Set - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tool set Dagstar Newbie General 10 04-23-2015 04:04 PM
Tool noob question... wraithfreak General Crawlers 3 09-08-2012 09:01 AM
good tool set? minnesotamudder Tools, and Procedures 1 08-29-2010 11:02 PM