Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie...Tell me about your electronics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #21

Default Re: Newbie...Tell me about your electronics.

I'm a newbie and just installed a Mamba X esc and Castle Creations 2850 slate motor about a month th ago. The programmability of the Mamba is unbelievable and the power is there if you need it. I have my throttle curve set so that 70% of the trigger pull is only 20% power, then from there it ramps up hard.
Rolltide386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Agree with most of the comment above, I am relatively new to this hobby too (almost 1 year) but I learned a lot through forum reading, youtube and trial and error, my suggestion for starter kit with my limited experience

Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster Sport 550 12T
Hobbywing 1080 esc
PowerHD 23KG servo or comparable JX or SPT
Radiolink RC6GS v2
3s LiPo (just like the other has said, skip the 2s)

For brushless, if you want the sensorless route with good slow start control, go with Sidewinder 4, paired with outrunner motor like Holmes Revolver 1800kv-2200kv. Other option that I have tried is Tenshock RC906 1750kv, a 6 pole sensorless inrunner, paired with SW4 this motor is also smooth starter and cheap. You'll need BEC with SW4 due to its 5V/2A built in BEC

If you go the sensored brushless route, Mamba X is hard to beat, with it's 8A BEC and 6s capable, this is the esc with rooms for future upgrade, the aux wire opens up great tunability, I used mine to control drag brake paired to the potentiometer switch on my RC6GS. The motor that I have tried with this esc and can highly recommend is Holmes Puller Pro, I used the 2700kv on my kit and very happy with it

For servo, if you can afford it, Holmes SHV500 V3, this servo is what I finally ended with

After my journey (of less than 1 year), I ended up with the following electronics on my main rig:
Mamba X esc
Holmes Puller Pro 2700kv (soon will be replaced with the 6 shooter)
SHV500 V3 servo
RC6GS v2 Tx/Rx kit, this kit comes with R7FG Rx that has a battery voltage reading port that I find very helpful

My other rig, dedicated for trail run (with potential mud bath in it):
Sidewinder 4
Castle waterproof BEC
Tenshock RC906 1750kv
JX CLS-12V7346, a copy of Holmes earlier servo
Yudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:22 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide386 View Post
I'm a newbie and just installed a Mamba X esc and Castle Creations 2850 slate motor about a month th ago. The programmability of the Mamba is unbelievable and the power is there if you need it. I have my throttle curve set so that 70% of the trigger pull is only 20% power, then from there it ramps up hard.

Agreed!!

I have my throttle curve set 70/30 and couldn’t be happier.

Being new, programming the Mamba X is daunting but Holmes Hobbies step by step programming videos make it a snap. Also he explains the why of what the settings should be. Fantastic.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Agreed!!

I have my throttle curve set 70/30 and couldn’t be happier.

Being new, programming the Mamba X is daunting but Holmes Hobbies step by step programming videos make it a snap. Also he explains the why of what the settings should be. Fantastic.
The one thing he didn't mention in his video is that the brake curve also controls the reverse throttle curve. I set mine just like the forward throttle curve and now I can run 100% power reverse without it being sketchy fast lol
Old 03-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide386 View Post
The one thing he didn't mention in his video is that the brake curve also controls the reverse throttle curve. I set mine just like the forward throttle curve and now I can run 100% power reverse without it being sketchy fast lol

I did not know that. On my to do list

Thank you!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
I did not know that. On my to do list

Thank you!
It's so much better!
Old 03-26-2021, 07:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
Brand new to the crawler scene and pretty new to RC in general. I picked up a scx10 ii raw builders kit after catching the bug with a scx24. I figure it will be a relatively slow process as I work full time, go to school part time and have a 10 month old so build time will be limited. I figure this gives me time to acquire all the parts I WANT from the get go. With that said, what electronics would you go with that you don't think you would have to upgrade as soon as you got better and more immersed in the hobby? And what other tips might you have for a first time kit builder?
hahah...you and I sound identical. i am working on building one also. I got the itch from picking up a SCX24 and Element Enduro24.
Ive been working on mine off and on about 3 days now, and am getting fairly close to the end for the chassis part. My parts for the rest should be here next week.
93civEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #28
Pebble Pounder

rolltide386 , Looks like we live close to the same area. Where do you go crawling?
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie...Tell me about your electronics. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie electronics selection SpudWrench Newbie General 12 10-18-2018 11:25 AM
Newbie electronics problem Phylodog Newbie General 8 02-02-2017 02:52 PM
Electronics/led newbie horvil15 Newbie General 7 08-23-2013 10:47 PM
Newbie electronics ? elkie General Crawlers 2 02-24-2006 05:27 PM
RC newbie electronics questions oIIIIIo Newbie General 2 01-26-2006 07:38 PM