Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Trx4 Bronco upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #1

Default Trx4 Bronco upgrades?

I'm sure that there's a ton of guys on here talking about upgrades to trx4s but I just recently purchased 2 rtr models for myself and brother to mess around with after he has surgery. What are some cost efficient things we could do to lower the center of gravity on then, we noticed they do like to roll over pretty easily, which isn't really a problem except the bronco bodies are super nice. Do they make an exoskeleton to put on it? I can't find one if they do. And are brass portal housings going to make a big difference?

Thanks guys
Chfmarcusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #2

Default Re: Trx4 Bronco upgrades?

I've read people adding lead wheel weights, the kind on regular car wheels, to the trucks wheels. Also people using lead solder or wire to wrap axles. Not scale looking, but puts weight down low and minimizes rotational weight that can strain a motor.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk
JayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

Yes, the brass portal covers do help when running low and slow. Of course, the faster you go, the more easily it will roll. Shock tuning, preloading, and weight distribution also have a large effect on how the truck drives.

Nope, haven't seen any kind of an exo-cage for the bronco.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Might be worth grabbing a couple light weight bodies, something like the sport body, that you can use when you're doing the hardcore crawling and rolling over, and keep the bronco bodies for trail running and show.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default Trx4 Bronco upgrades?

Portal delete. I thought about doing it to my trx4, but it’s not mine anymore. And if you know how to drive, you can use straight axles to your advantage ex: purposely hanging the rear diff up then turn whichever way you need to go for dig-like turning radius. Plus, it’ll be more scale.

Fender delete. If you don’t mind stuff getting on the chassis, then that’s a lot of weight that can be lost.

Smaller battery. You don’t really need a huge battery, but I prefer a bigger battery for the longest run times.

LCG battery tray. I have the one from KYX, but I know Bowhouse is good. The KYX seems to lower it down more though.

Lighter body. Like the post above, a lighter body for crawling and the Bronco as a shelf queen/trail and scale running.

Brass. I’ve personally never put brass on either of my rigs because for one I’m not scaling a vertical wall and two I feel they don’t need it.

Shock mods. On my 10.2, I took off the springs and just left 10wt oil in the shocks. This allows the shocks to bottom out at ride height, but still have full articulation. This lowers the truck a lot, while not hindering performance too much. Here’s a picture of my 10.2. It is using Traxxas GTS shocks, which are the ones that come on the TRX4. As you can see, it sits pretty low, probably around 1-1.5” lower than stock.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 03-19-2021 at 08:31 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:52 AM   #6

Thanks guys, I'm going to start with portal covers and a lower battery box and move from there
Chfmarcusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
I've read people adding lead wheel weights, the kind on regular car wheels, to the trucks wheels. Also people using lead solder or wire to wrap axles. Not scale looking, but puts weight down low and minimizes rotational weight that can strain a motor.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk
One local guy did that and he's impressed with the difference.
dCowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bronco, traxxas, trx4

Trx4 Bronco upgrades? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got a new TRX4 Bronco debrent Traxxas Crawlers 6 04-30-2020 10:31 AM
Just another TRX4 Bronco FattyMcJ Videos! 1 03-18-2019 11:19 AM