Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Trx4 sport or bronco?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2021, 05:07 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Trx4 sport or bronco?

A paintjob and some wheels helps lose the Walmart toy look.

I say get the fully loaded TRX4 - shifting is fun.
mash914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I think which TRX4 is for you depends on if your a notorious button presser. I have both versions, and while I do like clicking the diff locks off and selecting second gear to do some bashing antics, I also do have to admit the lighter Sport is better on the rocks with the reduced weight and COG. There both good, which one is for you is personal preference. If your just going to rock crawl save a few bucks with the Sport. If you like fiddling with buttons and experimenting with the lockers, as well as having the wheelspeed in reserve with that 2nd gear, then pick up one of the loaded options. Keep in mind the Blazer and Bronco bodies sell for decent money. So if they aren't your style you could easily sell the body and pick up your own for similar money.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50misson View Post
Which would be a better first crawler? Coming from short course trucks mostly.

Something other than the TRX4-Unless you want to work on it 70% of the time. Mine was sitting on the bench waiting on parts more than I drove it.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Something other than the TRX4-Unless you want to work on it 70% of the time. Mine was sitting on the bench waiting on parts more than I drove it.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
What do you suggest?
50misson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker

In fairness, I'm not sure your experience is common. There is a lot of criticism about the crawling capabilities of the TRX4, but durability is usually considered one of its positive aspects.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50misson View Post
What do you suggest?

I hadn’t had anything other than the TRX4 and the 10ii, but I love my 10ii way more than the TRX4. I’ve only driven the TRX4 one time since I got my 10ii. I just don’t get the same enjoyment out of the TRX4. My main dislike about it is it being so heavy.

So, I’d recommend either a 10ii or Trail King. Trail King has a lot more upgrades over the 10ii from the box, but with that comes the price tag(which is still a good price!)

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
Old 04-20-2021, 11:47 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash914 View Post
In fairness, I'm not sure your experience is common. There is a lot of criticism about the crawling capabilities of the TRX4, but durability is usually considered one of its positive aspects.
Some people have uncommon issues with everything no matter what brand the products are. I break everything but my trx4 defender was used when I got it and all I've broken on brushless 4s power was a spur gear. Not a single other thing has failed in 3 years of abuse. Stock shift servos are still working perfectly too.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:59 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

It may not be a common experience, but it’s still an experience that I’m sure many others have had.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
Old 04-21-2021, 05:18 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The TRX4 is a beast when it comes to getting over and obstacle. I have had some Axials and Enduro and out of the box the TRX4 smokes them EXCEPT for maneuvering.

The electronics in the TRX are not great, but I suspect that is the same with other RTRs. My other ones have been kits or parts from other builds I got after I had my TRX4 so I do what I wanted as far as electronics.

The top pics are what my TRX4 has become. It has SOA. I have dremeled the front hubs, I have changed and adjusted the link and I use the selectable lockers. It probably turns as good or better than any TRX4. BUT as far as tuning? My Enduro with Axial one piece AR44 still easily out turns it.
Sorry, I can only post links to the images.

"TRX4"

Enudro with AR44s

Last edited by MOguy; 04-21-2021 at 05:55 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:34 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Operator error.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:19 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
The TRX4 is a beast when it comes to getting over and obstacle. I have had some Axials and Enduro and out of the box the TRX4 smokes them EXCEPT for maneuvering.

The electronics in the TRX are not great, but I suspect that is the same with other RTRs. My other ones have been kits or parts from other builds I got after I had my TRX4 so I do what I wanted as far as electronics.

The top pics are what my TRX4 has become. It has SOA. I have dremeled the front hubs, I have changed and adjusted the link and I use the selectable lockers. It probably turns as good or better than any TRX4. BUT as far as tuning? My Enduro with Axial one piece AR44 still easily out turns it.
Sorry, I can only post links to the images.

"TRX4"
https://ibb.co/r6vXjb0

https://ibb.co/60s6BXY

Enudro with AR44s
https://ibb.co/vJSrVdp
I haven't been at this for very long and I only have a TRX4 and an Enduro. I got the TRX4 first and was pretty impressed how well it crawled. I was excited to get the Enduro but was a little let down that it didn't destroy my Bronco. Not that it isn't an awesome truck, but I think all of the common commentary about how compromised the TRX4 is had me expecting a night and day difference. My guess is any difference is more obvious to more experienced folks? I don't know, on the angled board and brick test that we've built to test if upgrades where really upgrades, my stock Bronco is measurably as good as the Element. Again, maybe on a more complex crawler course where steering is more varied than our testing you'd start to see the difference. Which is why i keep suggesting the TRX4 is a pretty great first truck. Most newbies (including me) can't really tell the difference anyway.

As far as durability, I came outside one day to find my son flopping the throttle back and forth doing wheelies / endos (stoppies?). At first I was going to tell him to knock it off, but honestly he was having so much fun and I kind of became curious how long it would take it. I explained to him that he should normally be more careful, but in the name of science we should see how this goes. He absolutely drives that thing how he wants and it has taken it without a hitch. We even had a course that had it crawling up around the porch with particularly dicey section where if you got it wrong you'd fall about 6 feet onto the ground. The first time I lost it there, it fell and split my powerwagon body almost in half (it was our "testing" body anyway). Truck didn't seem to care. So we drove with no body. That truck must have fallen off of that course a dozen times in that spot - no problem.

That's been my experience

BTW, that bug looks really cool

Last edited by mash914; 04-21-2021 at 06:39 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It may not be a common experience, but it’s still an experience that I’m sure many others have had.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
If it's a not a common experience then why would many others have experienced it? What kind of logic is that?
Kingmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I haven't been at this for very long and I only have a TRX4 and an Enduro. I got the TRX4 first and was pretty impressed how well it crawled. I was excited to get the Enduro but was a little let down that it didn't destroy my Bronco. Not that it isn't an awesome truck, but I think all of the common commentary about how compromised the TRX4 is had me expecting a night and day difference. My guess is any difference is more obvious to more experienced folks? I don't know, on the angled board and brick test that we've built to test if upgrades where really upgrades, my stock Bronco is measurably as good as the Element. Again, maybe on a more complex crawler course where steering is more varied than our testing you'd start to see the difference. Which is why i keep suggesting the TRX4 is a pretty great first truck. Most newbies (including me) can't really tell the difference anyway.

As far as durability, I came outside one day to find my son flopping the throttle back and forth doing wheelies / endos (stoppies?). At first I was going to tell him to knock it off, but honestly he was having so much fun and I kind of became curious how long it would take it. I explained to him that he should normally be more careful, but in the name of science we should see how this goes. He absolutely drives that thing how he wants and it has taken it without a hitch. We even had a course that had it crawling up around the porch with particularly dicey section where if you got it wrong you'd fall about 6 feet onto the ground. The first time I lost it there, it fell and split my powerwagon body almost in half (it was our "testing" body anyway). Truck didn't seem to care. So we drove with no body. That truck must have fallen off of that course a dozen times in that spot - no problem.

That's been my experience
When I got my Enduro I didn't like it. I tossed it up on the shelf and left it. I bought it for a Class 1 build. Compared to my Axial and TRX the Enduro just sucked. Terrible torque twist when it came to climbing and terrible side hilling. The Enduro axles have a low pinion which leads to more torques twist and worse clearance.

I was bored one day so I swapped some TRX4 shock and AR 44 axles into it and it really changed how it performed.

Traxxas has a bad name with the "cool guys". They see it as a toy. There were issues years back with batteries and some other business dealings. The portal axles offer more clearance and eliminate torque twist issues. The trans and engine mounted inline (like Vanquish) makes it great for side hill because it lowers the center of gravity. The selectable lockers add capability if you take the time to learn how to use them.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
When I got my Enduro I didn't like it. I tossed it up on the shelf and left it. I bought it for a Class 1 build. Compared to my Axial and TRX the Enduro just sucked. Terrible torque twist when it came to climbing and terrible side hilling. The Enduro axles have a low pinion which leads to more torques twist and worse clearance.

I was bored one day so I swapped some TRX4 shock and AR 44 axles into it and it really changed how it performed.

Traxxas has a bad name with the "cool guys". They see it as a toy. There were issues years back with batteries and some other business dealings. The portal axles offer more clearance and eliminate torque twist issues. The trans and engine mounted inline (like Vanquish) makes it great for side hill because it lowers the center of gravity. The selectable lockers add capability if you take the time to learn how to use them.

Yeah, I have some things with the Enduro I'm not totally pleased with (including a surprising amount of torque twist), but I've also messed around a lot trying out a bunch of "upgrades" and modifications. I try not to be critical because it could just be that I ruined it, and I'd hate to suggest that my truck performs less than spectacularly because of what it is, not because of what I may have done to it.

Bummer about the TRX4 stigma - I hate stuff like that.

Anyway, 50Mission, sorry for an Enduro threadjack - I had enough fun and luck with my TRX4 that I just bought a second one that I intend to let friends and family beat on.

Last edited by mash914; 04-21-2021 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah, I have some things with the Enduro I'm not totally pleased with (including a surprising amount of torque twist), but I've also messed around a lot trying out a bunch of "upgrades" and modifications. I try not to be critical because it could just be that I ruined it, and I'd hate to suggest that my truck performs less than spectacularly because of what it is, not because of what I may have done to it.
After I swapped axles to AR44s and TRX4 shocks and did a little adjusting the Enduro performed very well.

Last edited by MOguy; 04-21-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:38 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
After I swapped axles to AR44s and TRX4 shocks and did a little adjusting the Enduro performed very well.

I may try that, thanks.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:15 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Operator error.

How so? I never bashed it hard, ever. I’d always stop when I shifted gears or locked/unlocked the diffs. Always kept up on grease, bearings, etc.

Very ignorant/assuming of you to say operator error.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
Old 04-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How so? I never bashed it hard, ever. I’d always stop when I shifted gears or locked/unlocked the diffs. Always kept up on grease, bearings, etc.

Meh, I'm basically the antithesis of you in most ways. I've been doing this well over twice as long as you've been alive and I beat my trx4 mercilessly and hand it off to people all the time for them to beat.

It gets shifted under power both the 2 speed and the diff locks constantly and it's brushless and not some low speed deal, I'm talking 3100 kv on 4s kinda stupidity.

I've heard others having issues with reliability too but it really seems to mostly be those that drive slowly and carefully that have issues. I wonder if it's due to the servos not liking the load while waiting for the diff lock or trans to catch a tooth to shift. I'm all about crash locking under power and have no problems sooo...
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:41 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
Didn't I read that you drove that thing in salt water?

You were talking about the Holmes Hobbies Sport motor that you ruined.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:17 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Could be bad luck. But to say that the TRX4 is fragile in any way is just wrong. Even John Holmes said it's a truck you can give to your kid without fear that anything will break. I have a 5 yo son who can prove it
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Trx4 sport or bronco? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM