Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I think im gonna get a scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default I think im gonna get a scaler

I have a few other RCs but haven't gotten a scaler yet. I think it's time to change that. I'm pretty interested in the BOM GS02F, but I've also heard good things about the Element offerings. Really only interested in a kit. Not interested in an scx10.

So what's the recommendation from you guys? Hoping to spend less than 350 for the kit.
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: I think im gonna get a scaler

SSD Trail King?
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
SSD Trail King?

Yes, definitely look at the TK.

79 F150 SCX10 ii
TRXWalker
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:06 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Can I fit a 550 sensored motor in the trail king? I already have a motor I'd like to use.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Anything from Rc4wd is awesome , I’d recommend the Trailfinder 2 or the Marlin Crawler
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Is the GS02F chassis compatible with a lot of the SCX10 option parts? It looks like maybe the steering knuckles are the same?
Old 04-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome987 View Post
Is the GS02F chassis compatible with a lot of the SCX10 option parts? It looks like maybe the steering knuckles are the same?
The GS02F is the new Buffalo. GS02 are either the Komodo Double Cab or the BOM. Some of the SCX10ii parts are compatible with either of the GS02 rigs, however, the GS02F is quite different and not certain what, if anything is compatible with that kit.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
The GS02F is the new Buffalo. GS02 are either the Komodo Double Cab or the BOM. Some of the SCX10ii parts are compatible with either of the GS02 rigs, however, the GS02F is quite different and not certain what, if anything is compatible with that kit.
Thanks, that's kinda what I am seeing. I think I want to go with the Bom GS02F. It's cheaper than going with the Trail King by a good bit. The Bom is unfortunately out of stock everywhere :/
Old 04-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
It runs the exact same axles as the other GS02 variants so compatibility is the same.

Front shock towers fit, knuckles are a 90% fit, c-hubs are a hard no, rear shock towers don't fit. I don't know why everyone gets hung up those items though, Gmade makes alum hubs & knuckles so all my Gmade rigs run those because I can't be bothered to finger-f**k the install for the knuckles just to save $5.

Between the 2-speed, built in OD, TTR driveshafts, super-low CoG, .060" Lexan for the body and all the other features I think the GS02F is flat out the BEST value there is in the industry right now. Last time I looked Junfac even had free shipping on kits and there's always a $30 off $300 coupon available so you can get a GS02F for around $290-$325USD.

And yes, a 550 will fit the GS02F chassis unless you want to run a servo winch up front (as I did).

I've got a build thread for my Buffalo if you wanna take a look at that. Hit me up anytime if you have questions about it.

Full disclosure - I hate Traxxas and don't care for Horizon which means I spend my RC dollars on "boutique" brands like Gmade or HPI and I'm a big fan of Gmade.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
It runs the exact same axles as the other GS02 variants so compatibility is the same.

Front shock towers fit, knuckles are a 90% fit, c-hubs are a hard no, rear shock towers don't fit. I don't know why everyone gets hung up those items though, Gmade makes alum hubs & knuckles so all my Gmade rigs run those because I can't be bothered to finger-f**k the install for the knuckles just to save $5.

Between the 2-speed, built in OD, TTR driveshafts, super-low CoG, .060" Lexan for the body and all the other features I think the GS02F is flat out the BEST value there is in the industry right now. Last time I looked Junfac even had free shipping on kits and there's always a $30 off $300 coupon available so you can get a GS02F for around $290-$325USD.

And yes, a 550 will fit the GS02F chassis unless you want to run a servo winch up front (as I did).

I've got a build thread for my Buffalo if you wanna take a look at that. Hit me up anytime if you have questions about it.

Full disclosure - I hate Traxxas and don't care for Horizon which means I spend my RC dollars on "boutique" brands like Gmade or HPI and I'm a big fan of Gmade.
Thanks for this info! I have a GOM that I bought about 2 years ago and its been a fantastic truck. I have had a ton of fun with it.

I just did some research on the TK, which does sound cool, but with it I'd have to find a body and wheels and tires, this would really add up to more than I can spend right now.

Hopefully someone will get the Bom in stock soon!
Old 04-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Queso, thanks for the clarification. I’m a big Gmade fan. Built a GOM for a buddy, and a Komodo Double Cab and BOM for myself. GS02F Buffalo is what I’m eyeing for my next build. Absolutely agree that it’s a heck of a lot of truck for the $.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So I can't find the GS02F BOM kit anywhere, and I'm impatient. Now I'm back to looking at the Trail King, but I can't seem to find a body that really does it for me. Anyone have any cool bodies that would work on the TK that looks cool? Definitely don't want a jeep body.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So I can't find the GS02F BOM kit anywhere, and I'm impatient. Now I'm back to looking at the Trail King, but I can't seem to find a body that really does it for me. Anyone have any cool bodies that would work on the TK that looks cool? Definitely don't want a jeep body.
Tamiya Hilux body... Trail King Chassis, 3d printed transmission extension....

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The Toyota bodies are pretty cool...

Is anyone making a new Bronco body yet? That'd be cool...
Old 04-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Just ordered the BOM kit from RCMart. Also ordered a bunch of the aluminum hop ups and some different wheels. Looking forward to getting it on the trails!
Old 04-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Tamiya Hilux body... Trail King Chassis, 3d printed transmission extension....

Sounds like a pretty good setup! Nice
dCowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Got my Bom kit in today! Took 5 days to get it here from HK. I'm planning to build it and run it tomorrow... Wish me luck!
Old 04-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Got my Bom kit in today! Took 5 days to get it here from HK. I'm planning to build it and run it tomorrow... Wish me luck!
Nice! Did you get the GS02 or GS02F kit? Just a heads up. If you want full suspension and turning clearance be prepared to cut a bit from the body. I had to get the body scissors out to run 120mm tires (which are the same as stock), running the Gmade extended wheel hexes. Other than that, great kit!
Old 04-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Nice! Did you get the GS02 or GS02F kit? Just a heads up. If you want full suspension and turning clearance be prepared to cut a bit from the body. I had to get the body scissors out to run 120mm tires (which are the same as stock), running the Gmade extended wheel hexes. Other than that, great kit!
I got the GS02F kit. I attempted to assemble it in one sitting on Friday night, but that did not happen! It took much longer to assemble than anticipated LOL

So far I have the chassis together, and have the first color on the body. Looking forward to getting it on the trails!

I see what you mean about the tires hitting the body. Mine hits very bad at the back of the front wheel arches. I'll trim that when I put the body on it.

I am planning on attempting to make a flat bed for it, but idk if that will work out yet or not.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

So I'm looking at tires for the new truck because I don't really care for the ones it came with, and they don't mount well on my beadlocks. The stock tires are a 4.75". How bad of an idea would it be to drop down to 4.35" class tires? I kinda want this truck to look fairly scale, but at the same time I don't want to kill all crawlability.

I think im gonna get a scaler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ya.. It's a JK.. but it's gonna be mean! msd44 1.9 Scale Rigs 95 09-03-2012 02:10 PM
Gonna get one. tstmonkey Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 12-10-2010 03:43 AM
It's gonna be a scaler...no, I'm serious! the_ghetto_rig Non Crawler RC's 8 01-17-2010 08:34 PM
Gonna Build A Scaler.....Finally U$edUpH00ker Newbie General 2 04-02-2009 01:46 PM
Gonna Build A Scaler! TonkaYota Newbie General 16 04-01-2007 08:02 AM