Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Trx4 sport or bronco?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #1

Default Trx4 sport or bronco?

Which would be a better first crawler? Coming from short course trucks mostly.
50misson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2021, 09:39 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trx4 sport or bronco?

I'd say Sport.
this way you don't need to fiddle with the lockers or 2speed.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukiiholic View Post
I'd say Sport.
this way you don't need to fiddle with the lockers or 2speed.
Exactly, and being lighter with a lower CG it will climb way better.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The one you like more... Although they're on the same chassis, they're very different beasts. The sport will be more capable, but not exactly scale looking and won't have the 2 speed box and diff lockers (which are fun for scale driving, sometimes useful too but ultimately more weight and stuff to break).

I personally don't like any of the "big" TRX4s, they're huge and top heavy so I bought a Sport kit, 60ish $ worth of electronics (HH 550 sport + HW 1080 + ebay 20kg special for a servo), and a cheap beadlock wheel set. Sold off the expedition rack that comes in the kit, kept the other plastic doodads.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
The one you like more... Although they're on the same chassis, they're very different beasts. The sport will be more capable, but not exactly scale looking and won't have the 2 speed box and diff lockers (which are fun for scale driving, sometimes useful too but ultimately more weight and stuff to break).

I personally don't like any of the "big" TRX4s, they're huge and top heavy so I bought a Sport kit, 60ish $ worth of electronics (HH 550 sport + HW 1080 + ebay 20kg special for a servo), and a cheap beadlock wheel set. Sold off the expedition rack that comes in the kit, kept the other plastic doodads.
Good to know. What about the sport kit with the traxx? Seems to have everything in the kit.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #6

I'd also go for a TRX4 Sport.
nictical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The TRX is not as maneuverable as other RCs. With the selectable lockers you can increase it maneuverability. With the two speed trans you can run a slower motor for crawling and they go to a higher gear when you want more speed. With out those options I wouldn't consider a TRX for myself, just depends on what you want to do with it.

Having the additional options with the trans and drive line increase its capability. It does take a little effort to learn how to take advantage of the added capabilities when it comes to the selectable lockers. If you just like to point and go and not deal with things the sport maybe better for you.

Out of the box the sports advantage is the lighter body. If you get the Bronco (or other nonsport) change the body and learn how to drive it you will understand its advantages.

Last edited by MOguy; 03-31-2021 at 09:43 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Exactly, and being lighter with a lower CG it will climb way better.
The servos will only weigh maybe a couple of ounces. Not sure if the would out way the added capabilities of having a 2 speed and selectable lockers.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
The servos will only weigh maybe a couple of ounces. Not sure if the would out way the added capabilities of having a 2 speed and selectable lockers.
Cool. Thanks man.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50misson View Post
Cool. Thanks man.
You can save money (now) and upgrade later to 2 speed trans, which i just recently did with my sporty! I LOVE IT! Its roughly 60 bucks and comes with everything u need to make it work, (minus tx/rx combo) i run a FlySky GT5, 6ch transmitter.

You can also purchase the kits (individually?) To make the F&R axles a "selectable" locker! I originally bought a sport, some cheap brass, cheap beadlocks, did the "free mods", etc.

Some may not realize the sport comes with a spool in BOTH diffs. Meaning they're full-time locked from the factory! So when u add the kit later, its only a servo, a cable, and a lockable diff/gearset. Dont quote me on that, but u get the picture. I now have probably 1,000 bucks plus in just trial and error upgrades, and the good ones like bowhouse lcg batt tray, etc.

I say go sport, or go to an RC Car SHOW. LOL

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
You can save money (now) and upgrade later to 2 speed trans, which i just recently did with my sporty! I LOVE IT! Its roughly 60 bucks and comes with everything u need to make it work, (minus tx/rx combo) i run a FlySky GT5, 6ch transmitter.

You can also purchase the kits (individually?) To make the F&R axles a "selectable" locker! I originally bought a sport, some cheap brass, cheap beadlocks, did the "free mods", etc.

Some may not realize the sport comes with a spool in BOTH diffs. Meaning they're full-time locked from the factory! So when u add the kit later, its only a servo, a cable, and a lockable diff/gearset. Dont quote me on that, but u get the picture. I now have probably 1,000 bucks plus in just trial and error upgrades, and the good ones like bowhouse lcg batt tray, etc.

I say go sport, or go to an RC Car SHOW. LOL

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
The G500 is only $400.00. If you want the added capabilities of 2speed and selectable lockers it already has it. All you need is wheels and tires which you will end up needing anyway.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The G500 is only $400.00. If you want the added capabilities of 2speed and selectable lockers it already has it. All you need is wheels and tires which you will end up needing anyway.

Oh, and don’t forget $50 for a new body to get rid of that Walmart toy

Old 04-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Oh, and don’t forget $50 for a new body to get rid of that Walmart toy

The G500 won't be any more top heavy then the Bronco but yes, if you want performance you want change the body. If you don't want it to look ugly you need to change the body unless it is a blazer or bronco.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The G500 won't be any more top heavy then the Bronco but yes, if you want performance you want change the body. If you don't want it to look ugly you need to change the body unless it is a blazer or bronco.

Yeah, I was just saying it’s hideous lmao

Old 04-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Yeah, I was just saying it’s hideous lmao

Old 04-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #16

Both? I have the sport chassis and bought the blue 72 Blazer body. Modded it with tons of under spring brass and magnet mounts. The thing crawls like no other. My SCX10 III is almost as good but due to smaller body, can fit between rocks better. And it has a dig which is slick.
RoqKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

The sport is pointless. If you just want a rig on portals get an scx10.3 at least it's lighter on its feet and has the ability to get great turning radius.

The bronco is a solid rig, the body is a bit large but the lockers, especially the rear make a huge difference in it's abilities if you learn how to use them. Leaving the rear open can be the difference between making a climb or turn and not way more often than not and it's a simple flick of a switch to kick it in as needed.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The sport is pointless. If you just want a rig on portals get an scx10.3 at least it's lighter on its feet and has the ability to get great turning radius.

The bronco is a solid rig, the body is a bit large but the lockers, especially the rear make a huge difference in it's abilities if you learn how to use them. Leaving the rear open can be the difference between making a climb or turn and not way more often than not and it's a simple flick of a switch to kick it in as needed.
As far as maneuverability the 10.3 turns better then a TRX and has dig. If you learn how to use your selectable lockers, do a little Dremel work and a few other things the TRX4 along with selctable lockers can do pretty good.

Last edited by MOguy; 04-16-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:43 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As far as maneuverability the 10.3 turns better then a TRX and has dig. If you learn how to use your selectable lockers, do a little Dremel work and a few other things the TRX4 along with selctable lockers can do pretty good.

I had a Toyzuki on trx4 portals for a few years and it was a solid rig with a selectable rear and spooled front. I shaved the inner C's and knuckles to max the cv shafts and it turned ok. I just swapped them out to capra with vanquish housings and once I shaved the inner C's and knuckles it's a good 20* tighter turning angle. Complete night and day difference even without the rear selectable locker.
WHITE-TRASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:22 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I had a Toyzuki on trx4 portals for a few years and it was a solid rig with a selectable rear and spooled front. I shaved the inner C's and knuckles to max the cv shafts and it turned ok. I just swapped them out to capra with vanquish housings and once I shaved the inner C's and knuckles it's a good 20* tighter turning angle. Complete night and day difference even without the rear selectable locker.
I still have the stock driveline, everything else changed, even the chassis. I have done shaving in the front C-hubs. I have changed the links and ends too allow for more room and done a servo on axle. I steers much better than it did but still not like my one piece axial AR44s. Unlocking the rear and depending on the terrine the TRX4 can do better. I also have some SSD black diamonds AR44s and they also turn better than the TRX4s but not as good as the one piece AR44s.

Unlocking the front can help with side hilling.

Trx4 sport or bronco? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM